August 2015 Moms

MIL only plays with one twin

alashawn711alashawn711 member
edited October 2015 in August 2015 Moms
I have two month old boy/girl twins and my mil was so excited when she found out we were having a girl. She already had two boys and a grandson. Whenever she comes over she only wants to hold my daughter. At first it was just kinda a joke but now that's it been two months I thought she would stop being so obvious about it but there are times she doesn't even acknowledge my son and it's starting to get to me. I just don't know to bring it up without her getting offended.

Re: MIL only plays with one twin

• When she is over maybe you tend to the girl twin and ask her to tend to the boy and force her to pay attention to him. If that doesnt work, maybe have your husband speak to her about it since it's his mom.
  • I'm guessing that right now it's the novelty of having her first little granddaughter, but definately have your DH mention it to her since she doesn't even acknowledge your baby boy. It might be that in the future you will have to limit her contact with them if she continues to show such blatant favoritism since your son will very quickly figure out grandma loves his sister more.
  • Loading the player...
  • When she is over maybe you tend to the girl twin and ask her to tend to the boy and force her to pay attention to him. If that doesnt work, maybe have your husband speak to her about it since it's his mom.

Agree with this. She just needs some (albeit forced) bonding time with him. Act like she is doing you a favour whilst you busy yourself with your daughter (maybe diaper changing or something). Hopefully after some alone time with him she will see how gorgeous he is! If that fails then I would say something in a jokey way before any serious discussion. No point in rocking the boat unnecessarily just yet...!
  • *Hugs* I know it can't be an easy situation
  • My husband's grandma actually did this. He has a brother and a sister and his grandma had two boys and always wanted a girl. She favored my SIL pretty openly and it really bothered my MIL. His grandma still always talks about how terrible boys are. When we first announced our pregnancy she told me it better be a girl because there is nothing good about boys. She said this in front of her two sons and four grandsons. I think you need to cut it off now before the twins are old enough to notice.