1st Trimester

Light bleeding & cramping...but saw heartbeat

Hi everyone! It's my first time posting and I'm pregnant for the first time! I'm not far along (6 weeks 2 days) so my husband and I haven't told many people yet. So that means I am feeling completely lost and clueless and can't yet confide in my mommy friends. On Monday I woke up to some light bleeding, brownish, and some cramping. I went to the ER and they did blood work and a transvaginal ultrasound. I was over the moon to see that little flicker of a heartbeat! They told me they could see some blood around the sac, but no active bleeding..they said what I was experiencing could be old blood just now coming out. But, they still called it a threatened miscarriage. So I'm terrified. I went for a follow-up today and the doctor I got was awful. He pretty much told me I should just go home and wait because I would probably miscarry. BUT in the same breath tells me my lab work from the ER looked great!? I don't know what to expect. My husband and I want this baby so bad and now I feel like I've just been dismissed as no hope. The cramps are still present, very light. The bleeding, however, while still very light brown in color, is a bit heavier than it was Monday. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any advice on how in the world I'm supposed to just "wait this out"?? I've got a new doctor appointment in 10 days for my 8 week visit, where I was hoping my husband could also see the heartbeat, but that sounds like an eternity from now...

Re: Light bleeding & cramping...but saw heartbeat

• Hi, sorry ur going thru this! If ur bloodwork from the ER was good and they saw the heartbeat why would a doc then say ur gunna MC? First trimester spotting and cramping are really common so I'm confused... Did u ask the doc to clarify when he said that? If I were u I would go on what the ER said. It sounds like they said everything was looking good for now. Good luck!! <3
  • I was confused and hurt too. I asked him what could be causing the bleeding and he said, "Well what did the hospital tell you?" and I said that they gave me paperwork on threatened miscarriage but that they told me everything looked good on the ultrasound and that some bleeding is normal. He said, "No, it's definitely not normal." So I asked again, what could it be and he said, "Well it probably is a miscarriage." I told him that him saying that word over and over was scaring me and he simply said, "oh, I'm sorry to hear that." Just an awful experience and now I just can't help thinking the worst.

Thank you for your support!
  • Loading the player...
  • The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Today I am 6 weeks and 1 day. I went to the er. They did blood work urine a pelvic and an ultrasound. All my blood and urine came back great said my baby was doing excellent. I saw it in the sac where it's supposed to be and the heart beat flicker. They also told me it could be a threatened mc but it could also and most likely be common spotting as seen in a lot of early pregnancy. Don't worry too much or stress yourself out. That's what they told me. They also said to just take it easy and not do too many strenuous activities. So I think everything will be ok :) stay positive
  • I'm experiencing the same thing. Basically my dr said its a wait and see and nothing they can do to stop if if I am going to miscarry. we are basically in a holding pattern until we hit 12 weeks. I'm nervous every day when I go to the bathroom, and it's been weighing me down a lot. I'm sorry you are going through the same. Hopefully we will both get good news at our next appointments.
  • You women are wonderful! Thank you so much for your words of support! I'm happy to say that I got a recommendation to a new doctor from a coworker who actually listened to my concerns and was willing to see me before I'm 8 weeks for prenatal care (which every other doctor I had talked to refused to, unless for emergencies). I'm going in on Monday to hopefully get a third opinion. I had no idea so many women went through this same thing--I was so naive about what the first trimester is really like!

I hope all of us get good news! Please update me and I'll do the same.
  • I also had a threaten miscarriage at 6 weeks. Everything is great now! I still have a little spotting but no more cramps. My Dr told me that everything looks good, we saw the flickering too, but he did warn me that I am not out of the water yet. I think that the Drs have to say that because there is still a small risk. Although my dr told me to come in again if I have any more cramps and/or blood clots.
  • Knottie, I'm happy to hear things are going great for you now!

I met with a new doctor yesterday who was wonderful--leagues above the horrible person I saw last week. She says she is still concerned about the amount of blood she saw on the ultrasound...while it doesn't appear to be active bleeding, it's inside the gestational sac which she said could be caused by implantation complications. I have no idea what the consequences of that might be. We could still see a heartbeat and my progesterone levels are at 27.1 and my hcg is 156,000. No spotting in the last couple of days, but still some cramping on and off. This waiting game is really torturous. She wants me to come back each week until we have a better idea of what is going on and whether this pregnancy is likely to continue. I'm just so worried!!

• Hi ladies. I am having fourth baby and this is my first time having any type of bleeding/spotting. I am 8 weeks but do to my job change my insurance will not be active until Nov 1st so when I noticed pink spotting a week ago I got a little nervous and left a message on my ob nurse line but when they called the next day it was gone and the cramps were as well so she said it's common and not to worry unless it's heavy like a period with cramps. Well it came back a couple days later but more red with no cramping and only spotting not heavy at all so I called again and she said the same thing. I'm still freaking out since I have never experienced this with any of my pregnancy. Please keep me updated with your stories and experiences as will i. Have a great weekend!
  • fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited October 2015
    babybriggs16, I had my first sonogram Wednesday and was informed that EVERY pregnancy is different, no matter how many children you've had.  I was also told not to panic if I see spotting here or there, but if it's very heavy and clotted, with cramping, that is when I should be concerned.
    Your Dr is looking out for your best interest, so if they're saying it's fine, don't panic.  It's natural to worry if something is different than what you've expected before, but don't stress or get worked up unless the Dr alerts you, or unless you feel, in your gut, something is very wrong.
    Everything will be okay....just stay calm and try not to worry about it too much. :-)
  • This is my first pregnancy...barely 5 weeks and I've had bright red bleeding with "period cramps." Feels like a normal period. My back is achy and I've had mild cramping. Today is day 2 of bleeding, less cramps today. I've read a lot that this can be normal, not sure if I should contact doctor or just wait it out a few more days and see if it goes away. First ob appt is not until oct 20th! Freaking out a lil bit but trying to stay positive. Any advice?
  • ALTeep--I think oct 20 is a long time for you to have to sit and wonder...personally, I think at least contact your dr to update them on the situation. They may have you come in sooner to do some tests for you. I am happy to have a good dr that wants to be in close contact bc it gives me so much peace of mind during such an uncertain time.