Trying to Get Pregnant

Gender Diets

Hi Bump friends.
DH and I have been trying for over a year for our first and had IUI #1 this morning after several procedures, tests, meds..the usual that I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. Recently read something concerning what to eat to conceive a boy or girl. Any truth/insights on this out there? Of COURSE well be THRILLED with a BFP and just pray for healthy..but a girl's gotta do something to keep busy during TWW. Just sayin'.
Just curious! Anyone familiar?!

Re: Gender Diets

• Hmm, nothing comes to mind.

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard of these things in the form of old wives'tales. I don't put any stock into them. If you want to try it for fun then go for it. :-??

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• haha i remember reading something about this eat more acidic for one gender more alkaline for the other i didnt give it much credit plus i dont really like anything with the word diet in there :p
  • There have been rumors around for ages (usually acidic for girl, alkaline for boy) but they have actually done studies to show that they don't work. A single study showed that eating specific amounts of various vitamins and minerals raised the chance of preferred gender from 50% to a whopping (yet statistically significant) 53% or something like that. So no. There are no ways to actually guarantee gender. Timing doesn't work (one method says BD further out from O leads to a boy, another says BD closer to O leads to a boy), food doesn't work. The only real way to guarentee gender is selecting embroys for IVF that are all of one gender but no doctors will do it without a valid medical reason, usually to prevent a gender linked disorder.

DH is one of 3 boys, his father is one of 2 boys, his grandfather is one of 4 boys. I really want a girl and given the perceived dominance of the Y chromosome in his family, I looked into whether any of those methods actually worked. Nope.
  • (First post from a lurker)

I've run across ONE peer-reviewed PubMed (i.e., real science) source for maternal diet impacting gender:

It was a retrospective study based on a VERY small sample group (only 21 women complied with the 'baby girl' prediction rule about diet and timing - of those, 16 had a girl).  So, I would take it with a huge grain of salt.

But there you go.
  • Haven't read anything about diet, but I did read in the book The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant that depending which days you bd around o day can give a higher chance to preferred sex of baby.
  • Do U mean can u change ur diet to change the sex of an already fertilized egg? If so, definitely not. The sex of the baby is pre-determined the moment the chromosomes split in a fertilized egg. As far as diet before a fertilized egg is present, also no... Sex is determined by chromosomes..not diet. I think the above poster is referring to the "shettles method" for determining gender which I believe states that female chromosome carrying sperm swim slower than male sperm therefore timing ur intercourse accordingly can sway ur chances. I haven't read anything on its effectiveness though. I would say it's probably still pretty close to 50/50. Good luck to u! Hope u get ur BFP :-)
  • lzablocki said:
    Haven't read anything about diet, but I did read in the book The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant that depending which days you bd around o day can give a higher chance to preferred sex of baby.
    That book actually talks about how the Shettles method was proven false in multiple studies...
  • Diet has nothing to do with the sex (not gender) of your baby.  You have a 50/50 shot either way.  Nothing, short of selection through IVF, can ensure that the sperm that meets the egg and implants in your uterusis X or Y chromosome.
  • lzablocki said:

Haven't read anything about diet, but I did read in the book The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant that depending which days you bd around o day can give a higher chance to preferred sex of baby.

Yeah that's not true
    I've read that book and while it did mention a single study in NZ that had a 90% effectivity rate for gender selection, it also said that the study was with like, 20 women total. In science, you need much bigger numbers than the study used and the book highlights that huge flaw in the study design. All other papers that looked found no more than a few percentage points skew with various methods.

• erincoco said:
    Hi Bump friends. DH and I have been trying for over a year for our first and had IUI #1 this morning after several procedures, tests, meds..the usual that I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. Recently read something concerning what to eat to conceive a boy or girl. Any truth/insights on this out there? Of COURSE well be THRILLED with a BFP and just pray for healthy..but a girl's gotta do something to keep busy during TWW. Just sayin'. Just curious! Anyone familiar?!
    **********************TICKER WARNING********************************************

If you eat a hot dog everyday during your FW you'll have a boy, and if you eat a muffin everyday during your FW you'll have a girl.  Just DON'T EVER eat spicy chicken wings, or else you'll have a dragon.  GL ;-)

But what if I want a dragon? 
    HA! Better drink up girl. Cheers!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Who is supposed to do the diet? Woman or man? I don't believe there is any science behind it anyway, but if the woman ate certain things, it wouldn't matter because the sex chromosomes come from the man.

• erincoco said:
    Hi Bump friends. DH and I have been trying for over a year for our first and had IUI #1 this morning after several procedures, tests, meds..the usual that I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. Recently read something concerning what to eat to conceive a boy or girl. Any truth/insights on this out there? Of COURSE well be THRILLED with a BFP and just pray for healthy..but a girl's gotta do something to keep busy during TWW. Just sayin'. Just curious! Anyone familiar?!
    **********************TICKER WARNING********************************************

If you eat a hot dog everyday during your FW you'll have a boy, and if you eat a muffin everyday during your FW you'll have a girl.  Just DON'T EVER eat spicy chicken wings, or else you'll have a dragon.  GL ;-)

But what do I eat if I want a velociraptor?!? Tell me, O Wise One!
    Married 4.26.08
    TTC #1 April 2015
    BFP #1 11.15.15
    MMC/NMC 12.22.15
    BFP #2 6.13.16
    NMC 7.2.16

LFAF March Siggy: Nasty Women
    Kate McKinnon
    Image result for kate mckinnon quotes gifImage result for kate mckinnon quotes gif

Other LFAF Awards: Most likely shopping for LuLaRoe, Sweetest LFAFer, Kindest, Jokiest Jokester, Most likely to meow, Best smelling Bumpie, LFAFer I'd like to meet, Most Genuine

• I call troll. NO ONE wants a velociraptor.
  • ....I totally want a dragon.
  • YogaSandy said:

Who is supposed to do the diet? Woman or man? I don't believe there is any science behind it anyway, but if the woman ate certain things, it wouldn't matter because the sex chromosomes come from the man.

The theory is that if the woman eats acidic food, the pH of her reproductive orgsns changes to be more acidic which is more hospitable to X sperm, alkaline foods alter the pH to be more hospitable to Y sperm. It's a super easy thing to do but unfortunately had shown absolutely NO effect. Same deal with the timing methods. Y sperm are allegedly faster but shorter lived. X sperm are slower but live longer so you're supposed to DTD further out from O if you want a girl and closer to O if you want a boy. The few studies that have been done show either the exact opposite or no effect at all. In the end, (except for a few rare genetic conditions) its random chance. People just want to feel like they have some sort of power over all of it.
  • sorarosesorarose member
    edited October 2015
    I want a dragon that does this. Spicy foods it is!

ETA: It will take flaming to a whole new level!

• @IB113 - I second that claim... the kitchen scene in Jurassic Park scarred me for life.  Not even Chris Pratt could make Velociraptors seem like a good idea!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lzablocki said:

Yeah that's not true
    I've read that book and while it did mention a single study in NZ that had a 90% effectivity rate for gender selection, it also said that the study was with like, 20 women total. In science, you need much bigger numbers than the study used and the book highlights that huge flaw in the study design. All other papers that looked found no more than a few percentage points skew with various methods.
    Got it. Thanks for explaining and not just telling me "that's not true"... Read so many books it's hard to keep things straight sometimes. No need for people to be rude.
  • lzablocki said:

lzablocki said:

Yeah that's not true
    Got it. Thanks for explaining and not just telling me "that's not true"... Read so many books it's hard to keep things straight sometimes. No need for people to be rude.
    Wait, who was rude? That's not very nice. We are not here to answer questions at a whim. Some personal responsibility & research can really help you while TTC & pregnant. We love to help but this expectation that we spoon feed you information is a little bit unreasonable.
    Definitely not asking to be spoon fed information. I don't mind being corrected but please give the respect to me and other women ttc by explaining why you disagree with me. Yes? I just don't think it's helpful to simply say I'm wrong and leave it at that. I'm doing a lot of my own research as I'm sure everyone on these boards are.

• lzablocki said:

lzablocki said:

lzablocki said:

Yeah that's not true
    Wait, who was rude? That's not very nice. We are not here to answer questions at a whim. Some personal responsibility & research can really help you while TTC & pregnant. We love to help but this expectation that we spoon feed you information is a little bit unreasonable.
    Definitely not asking to be spoon fed information. I don't mind being corrected but please give the respect to me and other women ttc by explaining why you disagree with me. Yes? I just don't think it's helpful to simply say I'm wrong and leave it at that. I'm doing a lot of my own research as I'm sure everyone on these boards are.

I'm honestly confused how not explaining why you are wrong = disrespect. :-??

It's ok to be wrong, you know. Sometimes there is no explanation needed. If someone said the sky is green, they are just wrong. It's not, the end.

I think, respectfully, that you are a little over sensitive about this. Relax man!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• DutchLucyLu I love the doggy with the leaf! looks kinda like my dog :)

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • lzablocki said:

lzablocki said:

lzablocki said:

Yeah that's not true

I'm honestly confused how not explaining why you are wrong = disrespect. :-??

It's ok to be wrong, you know. Sometimes there is no explanation needed. If someone said the sky is green, they are just wrong. It's not, the end.

I think, respectfully, that you are a little over sensitive about this. Relax man!
    Agree to disagree. :D