3rd Trimester
Options

Shoulder dystocia

38 weeks today and reluctantly scheduled a Csection for next week.. My first baby was 8.4 2 weeks early. Not a huge baby, but large. However, she had shoulder dystocia that led to a fractured clavicle and left me with a 4th degree tear. I have discussed this in length with my doc, and today decided to go forward with the CS. Baby is approximately 8.5, -5 station, and I am not dilated at all.. So, the chances of me going to term are likely. I am scared of delivering a 9.5 pounder vaginally, when I had so many problems with my first who weighed less than that. My doc left the decision up to me. I want to do what's best for baby, and knowing now the risk that comes with shoulder dystocia... I think it's best. Still not an easy decision though! Anyone have a successful vaginal delivery after a shoulder dystocia? Or have a similar experience? Thanks!

Re: Shoulder dystocia

• Options
    I had a 9.5 lb baby vaginally and she was compound presentation, so she came out with her fist over her face. I... do not recommend it. She had no issues with shoulder dystocia, thankfully, but I did have some pretty significant tearing. This time they will monitor me more closely and probably won't let me go past term (she was born at 41w3d).

If it's likely that you'll go to term anyway, is there a disadvantage to letting baby cook to closer to 40w before the c-section? I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with it, but I would also be concerned about the dystocia and scared to have another rough labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    My first had shoulder dystocia, broken left clavicle, left neuropathy damage. He was 9.7, I decided against c section and going for a natural birth again, he is estimated to be 9-10 lbs at term. My OB accepted my decision of another vaginal delivery and told me just because my first had shoulder dystocia doesn't mean my second will. I also did not tear I had an episiotomy because the Drs here don't like to let you tear naturally !
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first had shoulder dystocia, broken left clavicle, left neuropathy damage. He was 9.7, I decided against c section and going for a natural birth again, he is estimated to be 9-10 lbs at term. My OB accepted my decision of another vaginal delivery and told me just because my first had shoulder dystocia doesn't mean my second will. I also did not tear I had an episiotomy because the Drs here don't like to let you tear naturally !
    @amberrmariee20, why don't they like to let you tear naturally? The current school of thought is that less nerve and tissue damage is done when you tear than if you have an episiotomy.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    samara267 said:

@amberrmariee20, why don't they like to let you tear naturally? The current school of thought is that less nerve and tissue damage is done when you tear than if you have an episiotomy.

Quote fail ~~~~<<

The drs here say it's harder to stitch and doesn't heal as quick !
  • Options
    Something to consider and perhaps ask your doc about, because that goes against current research and findings. 

• Options
    samara267 said:

Something to consider and perhaps ask your doc about, because that goes against current research and findings. 

Oh wow ! I'll definitely be asking my dr and OB about this, last time I didn't have an OB and my regular baby doctor was an idiot !!!