August 2015 Moms

Oatmeal...

Why do they not recommend instant oatmeal to boost your supply? Is it just to much sugar in those? I honestly can't make oatmeal a way that I will like it to eat.

Re: Oatmeal...

• I was wondering the same thing. I had traditional oatmeal the other day and I added maple syrup and fresh raspberries. It was okay....
  • I think the additional processing to make it "instant" removes a lot of whatever it is that makes it good for milk production. That's why steel cut oats work better than even traditional oats. Make some cookies, crunchy granola you can eat with milk or trail mix or granola bars out of it for a twist...
  • Loading the player...
  • Add it to a smoothie.
  • Im glad i saw this. I just bought a big box of instant. Guess i have to get the real stuff
  • I have old fashioned oatmeal every morning 1/3 cup oats 2/3 cold water microwave for 1 minute 50 seconds. Sprinkled with 2 tbsp ground flax, about 2 tsp of brown sugar and 3 or 4 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce. I feel it helps with milk production, keeps my tummy full and helps keep yhe bowls in motion!
  • I don't really like oatmeal myself, I found this smoothie recipe online and really like it. I make a smoothie every morning and noticed that it has helped my milk supply. The smoothie tastes pretty good, I just double up on the peanut butter. :)
  • I do an oatmeal/flax smoothie every day for either breakfast or lunch. There are tons of recipeis on line or you can be like me ang just throw things together. I always did smoothie breakfasts before I got pregnant so now I just add the oatmeal/ flax to what I always had before. Honestly like them more with the oatmeal and definitely notice a difference in my supply.
  • @jesssssrg that sounds really good! But, DS doesn't handle it well when I have dairy. Do you think it could be made with almond milk and still taste good?
  • @prpl11butterfly yea i think that would work out too, maybe try using the unsweetened almond milk and sweeten to taste with sugar.
  • I do oatmeal with a ton of raisins. Yum! Looking for a better canister to keep my oatmeal in.
  • I read that regular oatmeal is preferable simply because of the increased sugar and sodium. I personally eat instant oatmeal because I prefer it and I'm sure it's still better than no oatmeal at all :)
  • I read somewhere about the extra processing of instant oatmeal. Either way I hate oatmeal. But I second what other people have suggested and I add it to a smoothie. Yesterday I made a banana, blueberry and oatmeal smoothie which was pretty good. I also through in some fenugreek in it too.
  • I meant to say the instant processing strips it of the good stuff
  • If it is convenience you are after (which is what I was looking for) try overnight oats. I found some great recipes on Pinterest. I put them together Sunday while DH was home. It took me maybe 15 minutes and I had oatmeal for the whole week. I did a peaches and cream one that was amazing. I had tried an oatmeal casserole too but the recipe I found didn't turn out well.

• I've been eating flavored instant oatmeal with Brewers yeast powder mixed in the past two days for breakfast and am already seeing results. I'm sure it's the Brewers yeast but the instant oatmeal can't hurt. I mix it in the apples and cinnamon flavor and add extra cinnamon. You can still taste it a little but it's not terrible.

I bought the Brewers yeast to make lactation cookies, but yeah....who has the time or energy to make cookies from scratch?? So Brewers yeast oatmeal it is for me!
  • Lurking from July (LO born July 31st)

I make quick oats and add brown sugar and a scoop of peanut butter. I love it and it really keeps me full.

Does anyone know if quick oats doesn't work as well as steel cut or traditional oatmeal? Or do you think it's just the same?