Baby Names

Athena

I heard this today at the store and the little girl was adorable. Would you side-eye this name? I've never heard it IRL before. Just in Greek mythology. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Athena

• I wouldn't side eye that. It sounds like a strong, powerful name. On that note, my cubicle mate's daughter's name is Ariadne. Also mythological but much less likely to be pronounced correctly...
  • Just an FYI, Athena is what larger ladies are called in running and triathlons. For men, there are Clydesdales and women (generally over 165lb) are Athenas. So when I hear that name, I think of someone who is overweight.
  • Loading the player...
  • I knew an Athena growing up and she was a cute, little Greek girl. I like it but imo it's very Greek (not that it's a bad thing). People might assume you're Greek.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I wouldn't side eye it, it's a nice name.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sammy K said:
    Just an FYI, Athena is what larger ladies are called in running and triathlons. For men, there are Clydesdales and women (generally over 165lb) are Athenas. So when I hear that name, I think of someone who is overweight.
    WOW, I had never heard this! Thanks for the info. Interesting. :)

• I know a 17 year old and a 6 year old named Athena, so I wouldn't side-eye it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I think it's a lovely, strong name. 

Also consider Minerva, the Roman equivialnt.
  • I would side-eye unless the person is Greek. I know someone that has that name as a mn, and I totally side-eye.

• I have a friend named Atheana, said the same but they spelled it different. She is the only one I know despite the name popularity among mythology lovers.
    I also know an Allegra, which goes to show you how crazy Utah I as sometimes lol
  • Love Athena! The one I know is an Aboriginal so wouldn't assume Greek at all. Also what @Sammy K said is interesting! Never knew that and don't really think it bothers me.
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • No I wouldn't side eye it. It's a pretty name. I had a friend named Athena growing up. Only Athena I knew.
  • I would totally side-eye it! But if I knew you IRL or your kid was in my class, I would get used to it. Nms but it's not made up, so if you like it, go for it.
  • I know an Artemis and I've come across an Achilles as well. So no I wouldn't side eye Athena.
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    edited October 2015
    My 3-year-old niece is named Athena. I was kind of a jerk to my sister and side-eyed it at first but it really grew on me. She's a beautiful little girl and it's a strong name. For the record, don't be a jerk to people IRL about names... they won't forget it
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Sammy K said:

Just an FYI, Athena is what larger ladies are called in running and triathlons. For men, there are Clydesdales and women (generally over 165lb) are Athenas. So when I hear that name, I think of someone who is overweight.

This is also what I thought of. If you have Greek heritage though, I think it still works. She was always my favorite mythological character
  • I like it! It's a big name for a little girl, but very pretty! Bonus points if you have Greek heritage
  • It's definitely legit :)
  • It's legit. But I would still.raise my eyebrows when I heard it.
  • Only one I know is in her late 60's. No side-eye here, NMS but it would get a "how interesting" type comment to DH, which is generally a good thing :)
    Anniversary 
  • Athena was my college mascot. I would have want my LO to share a name with a mascot

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• I know one child Athena, and generally I'm a fan. It's classy, pronounceable, and distinctive without being too outrageous.
  • Powerful name! I love it! I'm a nerd for mythology and Athena is great.
  • I like it!!

Very pretty!