Pressure to have genetic testing. — The Bump
Pregnant after IF

Pressure to have genetic testing.

I am hoping that someone has had a similar experience. We did PDG testing on our day 5 embryos to have two come back no good and on BB grade. We transferred that one in and wonderfully got a BFP.
We are at 19 weeks now and due to my age have had a few level two ultrasounds. Each time they are pushing the genetic testing down our throats and trying to scare us with all the possibilities. I look at them and say correct me if I'm wrong but your genes don't change after the baby has implanted right... (With a sarcastic tone)
They are asking why I don't want an amnio. Uuuhhh. Hello do you not read a chart and know what we went through toget here. I know PDG isn't 100% but we were told it was 98% accurate so why force us to take a test when it won't change our choice.
Sorry for the rant but I was wondering how you were able to respond to get them off your back.

Re: Pressure to have genetic testing.

  • Wow! No experience but what jerks! Sorry they are being like that to you! When I was pregnant with DD with had the prelim testing and my blood work came back flagged for a chance of downs. They wanted me to do a level 2 u/s and then an amnio too. I agreed to the level 2 but said no to the amnio. She had no markers for downs at the level 2 and came out perfectly healthy. Sometimes I wonder if they push that stuff to make more money because they can charge insurance for more tests. You couldn't have paid me a million dollars to have an amnio! Again sorry they are doing that to you.

    ME: 35 DH: 39

    Married July 2011

    DD Born 8/12

    TTC #2 since 11/13

    ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

    DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

    July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

    IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

    IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

    Beta #1-344

    Beta #2-809

    Beta #3 8,390

    1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

  • Loading the player...
  • My dr says since my embryos were tested, the risk outweighs the benefit of testing since the accuracy is so high. We do know it's not 100%, but it's high enough to not risk invasive testing.

    I'm sorry you're going through that. They should be supportive of your choice.


    June 19, 2010 - Miracle Baby Girl

    Round 2
    Since March 2013
    BFP April 2013 - Missed M/C July 2013 @ 12w6d
    BFP December 2013 - CP @ 4w3d
    Eight medicated cycles, three IUIs: FAIL
    IVF #1 Antagonist - January 2015: CP/FAIL

    IVF #2 April 2015: Microdose lupron Flare
    ICSI, CCS Freeze all
    6 blasts biopsied/5 normal

    FET #1 June 25, 2015 6AA and 5AA blast transfer
    BFP 3dp5dt!
    Beta 8dp5dt 195.2, 10dp5dt 474.8, 12dp5dt 977, 22dp5dt 25,580
    <3 Twins! Our boy and girl coming end of February!  <3

  • Loading the player...
  • My dr says since my embryos were tested, the risk outweighs the benefit of testing since the accuracy is so high. We do know it's not 100%, but it's high enough to not risk invasive testing. I'm sorry you're going through that. They should be supportive of your choice.

    Same with me 

    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!


  • Sorry you're going through this! IF you were to decide to do any (which clearly shouldn't be necessary given your PGD), NIPT would probably be a better choice. We'll be doing the 'regular' prenatal testing but wen ended up refusing to pay for NIPT because the results wouldn't change anything for us at this point (i.e. We wouldn't terminate a pregnancy no matter what...we worked too hard for this to happen). I think that normally fertile people (and their doctors) just can't get that. I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy and baby...I'd change doctors if this keeps up, you just don't need that kind of negativity now.
  • My dr specifically doesn't want do to amnio or other invasive testing due to the risk since she knows what we went thru to get pregnant in the first place (IVF). I've only had the blood tests done (I didn't test the embryos before) and due to my age insurance covered it.
  • That's terrible they are pushing it on you like that. If you said no once, they should listen and leave you alone about it! Amnio has so many risks. I would never get an amnio! Of course I am like @KidShrink and no matter what we would not terminate the pregnancy. We worked too hard and too long for this. Would it be nice to know in advance so we can prepare for it? Maybe... but no way would I get an amnio or any sort of invasive testing. Nope.

    If the embryos were tested before the transfer, then I think your fine and your doctor is a jerk!

    Me: 31

    DH: 29, SA - Great

    Married: June 12,2011

    TTC #1: 1/2014

    Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

    Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

                      Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

    9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

    TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • That's bizarre that they're pushing Amnio on you after you have a PGS report. I ended up pregnant naturally after giving up (you don't want to see my PGS report from our failed IVF) and my dr wanted all the screening done (bloods and ultrasounds) but they only do cvs or Amnio if there are markers that show up in the screenings. They said that the screenings had gotten so accurate that they only miss 1% and the risk is just not worth it. I will say something to support Amnio and getting the correct diagnosis. I had a friend who's son had a heart defect (repairable) and had they not been able to diagnose and manage the pregnancy (he had to be born c-section) the outcome could've been negative. Amnio catches things that aren't the 3 trisomies. But again, there was a heart marker on her level 2 ultrasound that warranted further investigation. I'm sorry you're going through this, and I agree with you. You have every right to turn down these tests for whatever reason and you shouldn't be pressured into something you don't want.
  • Sorry you're going through this.  IMO an amnio is not worth the risk if you have done PGD testing.  They should be respectful of your decision.  My doc asked me if I wanted one and when I said no that was the end of the discsussion.  
  • kcbarbo78kcbarbo78 member
    edited October 2015
    We had PGS testing done on our embryos and are currently pregnant with a boy. The hospital where I want to give birth requires first trimester screening - nuchal translucency test and blood work. My doctor strongly recommended against having the blood work done because of high instances of false positives, but the hospital's policy carried the day. The ultrasound was good, but the blood work indicated a 1 in 15 chance of Down Syndrome, which is terrifying. I'm currently awaiting the results of the free cell DNA test before deciding whether to do anything more invasive. It has been an absolute nightmare. My husband and I agreed long ago that we would terminate with a diagnosis of DS, and nothing has changed in that regard. We're hoping for the best but are still afraid of the worst. We were hoping the preimplantation genetic testing would have spared us going through this, but there's always the remote chance of mosaicism or simple error. If you would not terminate, I don't see why something as invasive and potentially harmful as amnio would be necessary. If you simply want more information and want to be prepared in case there is a problem, the fetal DNA test is a good option. Insurance often covers it for women over 35.
  • My current little bean was PGS tested too with that same "98%" confidence level.

    Since I'm 36, I had special bloodwork called Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPS) which identifies the baby's genetic material (or cells or something) in my bloodstream and screens it very effectively for many chromosomal issues. My doctor said that automatic amnios are a thing of the past with this advanced, enhanced screening. Can you look into this?

    Me: 35 DOR - AMH 1.1 FSH 5.6

    DH: 39

    09/01/10 - First pregnancy - my sweet son was born 

    04/25/14 - Miscarriage at 9 weeks - Turner Syndrome 

    08/01/14 - Miscarriage at 8 weeks - Trisomy 9 

    October 2014 - Unsuccessful IUI 

    November 2014 - IUI month skipped due to cyst 

    December 2014 - Unsuccessful IUI 

    January/February 2015 - Failed IVF (standard long protocol) - 7 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized (ICSI), 0 made it to blast, 0 for testing 

    March/April 2015 - Microflare IVF protocol with HGH - 6 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 2 blasts for biopsy! 

    May/June 2015 - Microflare IVF protocol with HGH - 9 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 blasts for biopsy!

    06/18/15 -  Two healthy embies based on PGS testing by Natera!

    June/July 2015 - FET cycle with estradiol & PIO shots, a Neupogen treatment, and accupuncture

    07/08/2015 - Transferred one lovely embie 

    07/17/2015 - Beta #1 136

    07/20/2015 - Beta #2 529 -- BFP!!!

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards