August 2015 Moms

Burning nipples

My 5 week old son is starting to latch once a day ( was tongue tied so wouldn't do so previously ) but I noticed my nipples burning after he's done. Is this normal?

Re: Burning nipples

• Mine still hurt for a little while right after nursing and DS has a great latch. I have noticed that putting a little breastmilk on them and letting them air dry helps more than anything but I'm not always able to do this.

• Burning pain could be thrush or staph infection and would need treatment - you would need to see a doctor To get swabs taken and to get the prescription medicine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Try medela's cooling gel pads!
  • It could be a vasospasm. His poor latch could have damaged your nipples, and the change in temperature from his warm mouth to the cold air can cause burning. I was having burning pain only after he ate so I made sure LO was properly and I used
    a heating pad on low after I feed to keep my nipples warm. My pain went away in a day

BFP 5.19.13 EDD 1.18.14 M/C at 16 weeks 
    We will hold you in our hearts until we can hold you in our arms in Heaven.
    BFP #2 12.28.14 EDD 8.26.15
    Praying for our rainbow!

• The pain goes away after about an hour.
    Thanks for your input.
  • @ctraci74 I also have experienced this. Do you notice a white dot beneath the surface of the nipple? And a sore hard area in the breast? If so, it's likely just a clogged milk duct. I've had several since my son was born. I exclusively breastfeed, and he has a good latch but a small little mouth and tongue so sometime he doesn't get enough of the nipple in his mouth, but still is able to feed sufficiently. I was told it happens from server all different things; including: not draining the boob all the way during feelings, (like its our choice lol), sleeping in a bra, (which seems essential if you leak everywhere like I do lol) but I just make sure I use bras without any underwire. Massaging in the shower and applying warm compress like PP works wonders. Other than that, to actually de-clog the ducts, you can squeeze them yourself and kind push the milk through (all to painful for me) or just make sure LO is still feeding off that breast, no matter how dreadful it can be knowing it's gonna hurt pretty bad :( and their sucking will pull the milk through. It seems to be a pretty common problem in my LLL group and that's where I learned to do these things when they first happened to me :)
    P.S - I experienced them all over again pretty painfully when LO started sleeping through the night and my body wasn't used to not feeding 2-3 a night and draining the milk then. I waited it out and my body adjusted, but pumping during the night if you pump, or hand expressing works well to. I hand express quite often because my supply is crazy.
    I hope this helps!! And so sorry if you don't even have this problem at all haha
    But when I had clogged milk ducts, the burning was pretty bad!! Good luck mama :)
  • If the nipple turns white at all you may be experiencing vasospasm. I have raynauds and pumping is basically out of the question due to the pain. I can tolerate nursing but have to use a heating pad immediately after he detaches or else suffer the burning and deep breast pain. Getting worse as temps drop too... Not much you can do for it except to do dry heat therapy after feedings. My doc said its if the pain is bad enough that I should just switch to formula, after 6 weeks nursing he's gotten basically all the antibodies he needs from me.