August 2015 Moms

Co sleeping

my 7 week old daughter will fall right to sleep in my bed and sleep peacefully (no grunting). I obviously have no blankets and pillows around. I always said I would never bring a kid in my bed for fear they would never leave but how can I not do what works in the middle of the night? What are your opinions?

Re: Co sleeping

• Everyone has their opinion on this one. I've coslept with all three of my kids. I never imagined I would, but I love snuggling them and having them close, plus I don't like being up longer than I have to at night. For this one I've finally gotten smart and bought an Arms Reach Cosleeper so she sleeps in that the first leg of the night, but after that she sleeps with me. I don't mind children in the bed for their first few years. Our boys quit sleeping with us in between 3-4 years. (I should say that they always started out in their own cribs or beds, and in the middle of the night would join us if they woke up. I preferred that since I do want private time with my husband and some space to myself a bit.)
  • We also have the arms reach co sleeper and I love it! I wanted the halo co sleeper, but this was a hand me down and I'm so thankful we didn't spend $200 on the halo! This is perfect for our needs and she will use it longer. The first 3-4 weeks she slept in bed with me because I couldn't fall asleep unless I has her really close. No she sleeps in her co sleeper, but when she wake a up for her feeding between 4-7 I usually just bring her back in bed with me. We both enjoy cuddling and I sleep lightly. Do what works best for you as long as you are co sleeping safely.
  • Loading the player...
  • In the first couple of weeks I had my daughter, I did Co sleep with her a few times, because it was the only way she would stay asleep through the night and I was so tired! I really loved cuddling with her but I really worried about rolling over her or her suffocating or something like that! The only way I could get her to sleep in the bassinet is to put the portable bassinet in the middle of our bed (we have a king so it doesn't take up too much space) it's easier for me to get her in the middle of the night now too and she stays asleep!! Win win!
  • I've Co slept a few times with my son only because I was so tired and it was just easier to breastfeed him in our bed and he would fall asleep at the noon eventually and I could fall asleep as well. I'm a fairly light (and paranoid) sleeper so the thought of me rolling on him is not really an issue. However my husband has an issue with him in our bed so I don't do it a lot (only when hubby has to be to work early). But we are in our last days of doing this since I will be going to work in the early morning as well come Monday :(.
  • I'd love to co sleep with my son! But I can't bring myself to take the chance for safety concerns. If something happened to him because I was co sleeping with him I'd never forgive myself.
  • I've co slept with my baby girl off and on. I don't move at all when I sleep and sleep pretty light so I don't really worry about her. Plus occasionally she wakes me up by smacking me in the face with her little arm if she happens to readjust herself.
  • I would love to, but I'm way too paranoid. I fell asleep with him once and it was heavenly to be cuddled up next to him sleeping peacefully.
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Io never thought I would buuuut she has been in my bed every night for the past 6 weeks... I do it as safely as possible
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I never ever thought I would cosleep, but the reality is that when it's 5am, I could either spend the next 3 hours rocking her rock n play to keep her asleep, or I can put her on my chest and prop pillows under my arms. Sleep is in very short supply these days and you have to get it anyway you can. I do try to put her back in her bed after she's been sleeping about 20 mn, but most of the time, she starts squeaking at me 10 mn later.
  • I don't allow my kids in my bed. Oldest will be 3 in a matter of days. But my reasons are: I need time and space to myself, I want to enjoy cuddling my husband.. Or whatever else I'd like to do with my husband, and we have a queen size bed. DH is all over the map when he sleeps, and I toss and turn a bit, we just don't see how it could be safe in our personal situation. The only time we have made exceptions (and only after DD1 was over the age of 1) was when she was sick, or woke up early when DH was getting ready for work and fell back asleep on his side of the bed.
    I'm too paranoid to fall asleep with my baby in bed lol. I just can't do it. She sleeps great on my chest. But I try to sneak her back to the pack n play after about 45 mins, just when I know she's past the light sleep stage. What we do for sleep is I have a pack n play set up beside my bed against my wall, so literally can lift my head and peek in as her head is near mine. We do this for about the first 4 months
  • Just want to mention, I don't judge cop sleeping parents! It's just not for us for many reasons :)
  • I bring my daughter to bed with me after DH leaves for work. It keeps her warm and gives me an extra hour of sleep :D
  • I was totally against co sleeping. Too many horror stories. But, we do it every night now. I think there is a way to do it safely. No extra pillows or blankets around babe. I don't hold him/lay him on me.. I keep him close but give him some space. The only fear I have about it now is transition to the crib. I do want him to sleep there confidently at some point... Not sure when or how to make that transition.