Multiples

NICU Stay + My story.

Hello twin mommies/daddies,

I recently gave birth to my mono-di girls at 34 weeks due to pPROM. I pPROMed at 29 w 9 days and had a scheduled C-section at 8AM the day I turned 34 weeks...well we got a huge surprise when our girls decided to go head down and I went into labor at 12:30AM! Immediately after birth I had postpartum pre-eclampsia. They put me on magnesium sulfate for a couple days and I was told I would be closely monitored 24 hours after being took off of the medication. 48 hours after giving birth I was took off of the medication and discharged before even stepping foot out of my bed. The nurse I had didn't even offer to help me to the shower so my boyfriend had to help me shower and get dressed. I could barely walk at discharge but rushed to the NICU to see my babies I hadn't saw since birth. Baby A (Natalie) weighed 3 lbs 8 oz and Baby B (Aleigha) weighed 4 lbs 8 oz. Aleigha was put on oxygen the first 24 hours of life due to fluid in her lungs which was why she was a pound bigger than Natalie. They have both been in the NICU for 10 days today. They were eating wonderfully until recently so back on feeding tubes for the both of them, but we still bottle feed and just tube feed what they don't take orally. Aleigha is 4.8 lbs and is supposed to be taking 45ccs; she is in an incubator set to 30.5. Natalie is 3.13 lbs and is supposed to be taking 33ccs; she is in an incubator set to 30.6. I was in and out of the ER with high blood pressure from the pre-e since they discharged me so early and it took about a week to regulate my BP after going to two different ERs. I've been in the hospital for 6 weeks now due to 4 weeks of hospital bed rest and being with the babies in the NICU (we have a room we are allowed to stay in with the babies.) I am curious to see how long everyones twins were in the NICU, they told us about 2 weeks which would be Oct. 4th, but the feeding set back has gotten me upset and I just feel like emotionally I can't hang on any longer in the hospital, although I want my babies to be completely ready to come home. It is hard having a baby in the NICU and I would like to reach out to the community.

Thank you for your time :)

Re: NICU Stay + My story.

• Hi Kaley,
    I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged. I am at the very beginning of my NICU journey but it is so tough. My boys were born on Monday at 35w6d. I had absolutely zero signs of preterm labor & was scheduled for a c section at 38w2d, which I obviously didn't make. My water broke at home early Monday AM. Anyhow, baby A (Conrad) was 5lbs 11oz & started out with me but was transferred to NICU as he wasn't eating much. He is also able to eat breast or bottle but gets what he doesn't take orally (of his ordered 40mls) through his feeding tube. Baby B (Hudson) was 5lbs 9oz at birth & has breathing issues from the beginning. He is off CPAP but still requires oxygen & is only getting feedings through his tube. He is also under the lamp for jaundice.
    It is so hard knowing I will go home without them but am trying to keep a positive attitude. NICU is the best place they can be so they can have the best shot at starting their little lives off right. Please just know you aren't alone. You & your babies will be in my thoughts & prayers.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • blsav23 said:

Hi Kaley,
    I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged. I am at the very beginning of my NICU journey but it is so tough. My boys were born on Monday at 35w6d. I had absolutely zero signs of preterm labor & was scheduled for a c section at 38w2d, which I obviously didn't make. My water broke at home early Monday AM. Anyhow, baby A (Conrad) was 5lbs 11oz & started out with me but was transferred to NICU as he wasn't eating much. He is also able to eat breast or bottle but gets what he doesn't take orally (of his ordered 40mls) through his feeding tube. Baby B (Hudson) was 5lbs 9oz at birth & has breathing issues from the beginning. He is off CPAP but still requires oxygen & is only getting feedings through his tube. He is also under the lamp for jaundice.
    It is so hard knowing I will go home without them but am trying to keep a positive attitude. NICU is the best place they can be so they can have the best shot at starting their little lives off right. Please just know you aren't alone. You & your babies will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Thank you very much! I will also keep you and your boys in my prayers. I wish you luck on your journey and every day in the NICU strengthens your bond with your babies is how I look at it. You are there for your little ones and they appreciate you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hang in there! This will be a very tough part of your life but hopefully it will be a distant memory in several months when you have chunky, alert, happy babies at home.
  • My girls were born in July at exactly 32 weeks and spent 34 and 37 days in the NICU. It's a nightmare to go through a NICU stay and I'm sorry you have to experience it. My girls had feeding issues too and then one day it was like a lightbulb went off and they were taking all their feeds by bottle. Don't feel like you have to spend ALL day at the hospital. I did for the first few weeks and it was so draining emotionally and physically, I felt better when I went home for a few hours. I hope your babies are home with you soon.
  • Thanks, ladies, for your support & uplifting stories. I will be discharged today & can just cry at the thought of having to leave them behind. I'm trying to remind myself that I at least have two (relatively speaking) healthy babies who will come home eventually. Not every woman can say that.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!