April 2016 Moms

Blump....hide it or flaunt it??

I'm almost 14 weeks and have gained 8 pounds or so now. I finally gave in and bought some maternity jeans online from motherhood maternity. The only ones that fit were the Jessica Simpson brand, but they are so short!

I was wondering when I would feel comfortable showing my belly. At work I am still wearing hoodies or light jackets to hide it. People know I'm pregnant, but I just am not comfortable letting my gut show. I know its not baby, I think its a combo of bloat, fat, a little poo, and maybe my organs getting pushed upwards? What are you ladies doing? Hiding it or letting it show? Here's a pic of my blump. 14 weeks ago I had a nice flat tummy, and I thought I wouldn't look pregnant till like 7 months. So I'm not sure what to do with this new gut I'm sporting. Also attached is a pic of my high waters, so you all can have a nice chuckle! This is not a good look for me!! (Ignore my ugly work shoes, they are steel toed and I have to wear them, for safety and junk)

Re: Blump....hide it or flaunt it??

• I gave up hiding mine about 6 weeks ago. I've gained about 7, but of course it's all in my belly. This is my 4th, so I knew I would be bigger faster, but not like this, it's crazy. I'm more about comfort at this point. I work 12 hour shifts and don't feel like wearing spanx and sucking in the whole time. I broke out the maternity pants tonight as well. :) I'll post a picture of my blump in a little bit.
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I've only gained 2 pounds but boy do I have serious blump by the end of the day. So much that my colleague outright asked if I was pregnant yesterday before I'd announced! :-O I'm mystified because if I've only gained 2 pounds how can my belly be so ginormous?! In front of clients I will continue to suck it in because it's unhelpful for my work for them to know I'm pregnant but once I've announced to everyone else from next week I'm just gonna let it protrude with pride. Screw everyone else and their judgment, I'm growing a human and proud of it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 13 weeks with my first and I am done hiding it. Everyone now knows I'm pregnant and I am just letting it show at this point.
  • Flaunt it girl! Everyone will think it's a baby bump and you should let them!
  • Still trying to hide at work. Although, today I don't think I am doing that great of a job.

This weekend, I was bumming around town doing chores and not really seeing anyone. So I flaunted it. Life is so much better when you don't have to suck it in.
  • sbellendiersbellendier member
    edited September 2015
    Flaunt it, I also gave up a long time ago, this is my 3rd and my belly at 11 weeks was about the size of my belly at 20 weeks with DS1 :| Almost 13 weeks now and there's no hiding it, but people at work do try to rub my belly.....NO.
  • Team flaunt it. I'm solidly in the maternity pant range as of about 3 days ago, I just can't do the regular pant buttons.
  • I flaunt it everywhere but work. While my coworkers know, I haven't yet told my students and I'm not ready for the awkward questions from 6th graders. Its weird, because with my first pregnancy I told my students at 8 weeks, but it was May so I knew those guys really well. Its only the 5th week of school, I don't know these students well or have a connection yet so it just feels awkward. I also look more pregnant now than halfway with my DD, and yet have actually lost a pound. I don't even know how that's logical. When I told DH he was like "HOW have you not gained ANY weight...?!?" That's how pregnant I look...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I've gained about 5 pounds, but I'm pretty sure at least half of that has been in my boobs. I've been in maternity pants or belly band for about 6 weeks. The bloat is always WAY worse by the end of the day. I'm still trying to camouflage at work until Monday when I'll officially announce, although my immediate team knows already. The rest of the time I don't really care.

Side note, for longer jeans, you might want to look online and see if they offer tall sizing. I know Old Navy does on most of their jeans! (I have the opposite problem, but hemming is easier than adding length!)
  • Once people are in the know, I think I would flaunt it. Although I am a little concerned that I just look fat and not pregnant (!)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been flaunting it, and gave up hiding a few weeks ago.

However I think I look like I did at 5 months with Dd. My coworker yesterday told me she heard a rumor but wasn't sure because I look the same.
  • I'm hiding it at work still because I'm looking more fluffy than pregnant . That being said, I just started fall break which is 2 weeks long this year (hallelujah) and I'm not sure hiding it when we go back will be an option.
  • I've lost weight but have a blump. Started flaunting at 13 weeks ha.
  • I really don't even care whether it's bloat or baby... My belly doesn't look like this non-pregnant, even when I'm fat, so I count it as showing, and flaunt it.
  • I haven't been flaunting it yet. While some people at work know, not all do. I will wait until my 12 week appointment, then let it all out haha
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm trying to hide it at school because it probably looks like fat.
  • This is my first, and my belly looks like yours esp by the time I get home after work. I feel so uncomfortable flaunting it knowing its all the weight gain from eating bad, and bloat. BUT when do you know its a real baby bump and show it? Its not as big in the morning so I dont want to show it off yet
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I stopped hiding mine when it became an actual bump. Aka "hard" instead of flubby. It took a while and sucked but by that time I felt comfortable as it was a bump and not just fat/pudge.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • I've been flaunting it since we announced so about 2 weeks now, happily rocking the maternity clothes too! This is my 4th in 5.5 years so I just don't care anymore lol. I totally look the way I did at like 6-7 months with DS1 now, it's embarrassing but I don't care.
    Me & DH - 2009
    Gone but not forgotten: Identical twin boys born at 23 weeks - 2004 
    DS1 - 2010
    DS2 - 2012
    DS3 - 2014
    Surprise # 4 due April 2016!! It's a GIRL.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I start a new job Monday and so I'm hiding it....which is getting extremely hard to do. Any suggestions on how to hide I will definitely take.
  • I'm overweight already but don't really care if people see it. They can think it's fat or whatever they want lol. I've inky gained half a line and am at 12 weeks 4 days. But my pants are getting tight - I have to do the rubber and truck on my jeans and will be getting maternity pants soon. I hope I'll look pregnant
  • I forgot to take one last night, so here's my blumb. Keep in mind, 5th pregnancy, thanks to morning sickness, can't stomach anything but carbs. This is why I don't hide it, it's too big haha
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • loveymayloveymay member
    edited October 2015
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this! I showed my mom the pic of my blump and she got all excited even though I told her it was just fat and not baby. She didn't care and she made me show my aunt, haha. I'm still hiding it though, probably will continue to do so until its get hard and not flabby.
  • This is the pic my pregnancy app shows for 14 weeks.....so I'm gonna pretend my flabby belly is baby, even though I can't feel it! Haha
  • Bloating at 12 weeks still :( I'll wait till im about 16 weeks and see if I actually pop out by then . I look normal until about 2 pm then it looks like I have a slight beer belly. Not cute !!!! It's all gas and food.
  • This is my second and I'm just flaunting it! I've actually lost 14 lbs from stopping soda and eating tiny meals because it's all I can stomach. I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow and would say I look about 17-18 weeks pregnant. I know it's not baby, and I'm pretty sure is part bloat and part organs being pushed up. I actually feel them moving around everyday and it is the most weird sensation I've ever felt while pregnant.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • loveymay said:
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this! I showed my mom the pic of my blump and she got all excited even though I told her it was just fat and not baby. She didn't care and she made me show my aunt, haha. I'm still hiding it though, probably will continue to do so until its get hard and not flabby.
    H gets excited too. Until I gently remind him it is bloat. But then he always reminds me that the only reason I am SO BLOATED is because there is a baby in there. Which I do appreciate, because I am just so self concious about how fat I look.
  • I dont think 14 weeks is too early to be showing. Im currently 12 weeks, with my second, and have a good little bump going, its impossible for me to hide it. Granted i am under weight normally and lost weight from am sickness. I didnt show till i was 5 months with my first son, and even then it was just bloating not baby. This time around its all baby, my gutt is hard as a rock. I dont know of many women who didnt show till the 7th month, thats very far. Most women show where youre at around 4 to 5 months, but every pregnancy is different
  • Flaunt it all the way! This is number four for me and if I didn't know better I'd say I was carrying more than 2 in there.
  • I dont think 14 weeks is too early to be showing. Im currently 12 weeks, with my second, and have a good little bump going, its impossible for me to hide it. Granted i am under weight normally and lost weight from am sickness. I didnt show till i was 5 months with my first son, and even then it was just bloating not baby. This time around its all baby, my gutt is hard as a rock. I dont know of many women who didnt show till the 7th month, thats very far. Most women show where youre at around 4 to 5 months, but every pregnancy is different

Lol, yeah I'm finding out pretty quick that my initial expectations of pregnancy are nowhere near accurate! Haha! I don't know what I was thinking, I blame Hollywood and all the unrealistic pregnant women in movies.

@sarahufl that is cute that your husband gets excited! Tonight my dh affectionately touched my belly saying it was all baby, I thought it was sweet.
    He is probably thinking "dear God let the baby show soon, so she'll stop whining about being fat!". :)