February 2016 Moms

What are your Feeding Plans?

13»

Re: What are your Feeding Plans?

• FTM here who is sad she'll only be able to BF while on maternity leave (so 6 or 8 weeks).  I am narcoleptic and have arthritis.  I've gotten off all of my meds while pregnant but will probably have to go back on them before returning to work.  Since I can't take my meds and BF, I'll have to go to FF really early.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Feb16 October Siggy Challenge- Favorite Halloween Candy

Image result for reese's peanut butter cup pumpkin
  • Just want to say as a FTM, this thread has been SO helpful.  I want to BF but have had a hard time picturing how that will go (schedule wise, once I go back to work, etc.) and I'm also interested in baby led weaning, when the time comes, so this thread has been a gold mine for me, as far as hearing from other moms.

Thanks!  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I ended up FF DS and I think that it made a happy baby and an even happier mama. Not sure if I will attempt BF this time around or not. I just remember the transition being so much better because we were using formula and DH and others could help feed the baby. We did cereal about 6 months and then started with purees soon after. I made nearly all of our baby food. Like PP, spent my Sunday afternoons steaming and freezing food. I did have some store-bought baby food to grab for on the go in a pinch. This time I think I will look into buying some reusable pouches for food when the time comes. Otherwise, we started giving DS whatever we were eating by around 9 months when we could for the most part and switched from formula to whole milk at one year. DS will be 3 in January and is still on whole milk (despite what they say to take them off it at 2). I will be switching him over to 2% milk in a few more months. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The nurses at the hospital had me bf'ing And pumping and feeding the pumped milk from the start with my son. It worked great. My milk supply was good and he never had any issues with switching between the breast and bottle once he was in daycare.

My only regret is that I stopped bf'ing at 10 months and tried to switch to cow's milk at that point (with the pediatrician's blessing. ds had a full set of teeth except his 2 year molars by then and he liked to use me as a teether). Immediately upon stopping bf'ing, he started getting bad diaper rashes and chronic ear infections. At that time, I attributed the diaper rashes to a sensitivity to the cow's milk, so I switched him to almond milk. Looking back on it though, I think the real issue was that he was no longer getting the immune benefits of the breastmilk. I'm planning to try to go at least a year, maybe a year and a half, with my daughter. When I do make the switch, I will be adding probiotics to her daily routine right away.

• I plan on breastfeeding again! I exclusively bf my twins until 18 months and loved it! Hoping bfing is easy for this baby as well :)

Girl! Kudos to you! I am a very pro breastfeeding (obviously) but twins?! I know that couldn't have been easy. You go mama!

Thank you :) luckily I didn't have supply issues or latch issues so it wasn't too bad! I didn't even really wanna stop at 18 months but was ready for another baby!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was pretty lucky with BFing my son and daughter. I'm going back to work after 12 weeks though, so hopefully I can get a decent enough supply built up. With both kids I nursed/pumped for the first 6 months or so. When my freezer supply couldn't keep up I supplemented and eventually switched to formula. I will probably do something similar with this baby assuming that works for her.

• Goal: ebf but if I have to supplement like I did with dd until I got my supply all figured out I will.
  • rainbowminionrainbowminion member
    edited September 2015
    I'm hoping to BF while I'm at home and pump for work when I go back at 10 - 12 weeks. My goal is 1 year. But, I'm lucky enough to live in a country where we have high quality formula and clean, safe drinking water available and if I need to formula feed for my or the baby's mental or physical health I won't feel guilty about it. To be perfectly honest, I'm mostly hoping to BF for the benefit to our budget. 

edited because it's morning and words are hard

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • baya5 said:
    @beharrington 2 months of BF is longer than most I know and your baby will still get a lot of benefits from it. You have to do what's best for your health so don't feel bad at all
    Thanks @baya5!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Feb16 October Siggy Challenge- Favorite Halloween Candy

Image result for reese's peanut butter cup pumpkin
  • @bookqueen I was just thinking that!!! I'm glad this has been a thread of helpfulness and offers of support!! It seems like FTM are learning a lot and I was hoping that would be the point when posting :)
  • Well these days I feed myself as often as possible.... oh wait, this is about the baby!

I plan to BF, and really hope that it works out for me. My mom had a hard time so she didn't do it with any of us kids, but I'm going to be optimistic. I already signed up for a class and intend to join a la leche club here. I'm going to give it my best shot...

Once solids are in the picture I will probably make a lot of my own stuff, depending on how much time I have. My hubs might be deploying next year, and I will most likely deploy right after she turns one (they can't deploy us for at least a year after giving birth) so if that's the case it will change a lot of things for us. We'll see how it goes!

• tigeraj8170tigeraj8170 member
    edited September 2015
    I breastfed all of my children until each of them were 5-6 months. The only problem I had doing it was when they were about 5-6 months they started biting me and then I would start getting sores. It was well worth it in the end though and I will be doing the same with this new lil one.

Edited because I slept horribly last night and words are hard.
  • I forgot to answer the second part. I'm hoping to make my own baby food, at least at first. The internet makes it sound really easy so we'll see how it goes. ;)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I breastfed all of my children until each of them were 5-6 months. The only problem I had doing it was when they were about 5-6 months they started biting me and then I would start getting sores. It was well worth it in the end though and I will be doing the same with this new lil one.

OMG DD bite me around 8 months and I bleed to bad I couldn't nurse off that side for over a week. Most painful thing ever while BF
  • i BF my DD the first few weeks- it was pretty awful for both of us. switching to formula was the best thing i ever did- we were both much happier :) i'm on the fence about BF this time around- mainly bc i felt like a failure the first time around and kept trying and trying when it just wasn't working out. it took a lot for me to "give up"- and it was emotionally draining. i don't really want to have to live through that again- so i am debating going straight to formula this time around, or giving it another try. the struggle is real.
  • edited September 2015

I breastfed all of my children until each of them were 5-6 months. The only problem I had doing it was when they were about 5-6 months they started biting me and then I would start getting sores. It was well worth it in the end though and I will be doing the same with this new lil one.

I'm sure you probably tried this, but for the new moms out there!

When baby bites, try pushing the breast further into their mouth rather than pulling away. It feels counter-intuitive at first, but it causes them to want to open their mouth and release, whereas pulling away will only make them clamp down harder. Both my babies went through biting stages. It sucks, but it's normal. Obviously not all of them will stop, but I know a lot of women who have had success this way.

ETA: I forgot to mention, a lot of babies will clamp down if you have a fast let-down, to try to slow it down. I had to let some of my milk go into a burp cloth for a while when I had a let down, as not to overwhelm the baby. Ah, the memories.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Oh the biting and the sucking in of the skin when they get their top two teeth! Painful. Thank goodness DS got past that phase quickly. Definitely helped to make sure he was latched on well.
  • The plan is to BF and pump when applicable for a year. That didn't happen with DS however because of lack of supply. (Dispite all of the trial and error with fancy vitamins and cookies) if the milk doesn't come in again I'll pump for a few months to supplement what I can with formula. Im not going to stress this time and do the pills and cookies and all of that. ( they didn't help with my supply and tore up my tummy!)
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • I plan on exclusively breastfeeding. :) I did with my son and it was so rewarding and amazing (well most of the time lol). 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ladies who have BF/FF before... What to register for?
    I know bottles, nipples, etc.. But what specifics do FTM need to know to get?
  • MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited October 2015
    Ladies who have BF/FF before... What to register for? I know bottles, nipples, etc.. But what specifics do FTM need to know to get?
    BF- Bamboobies, nipple cream, a cover if you think you'd like one, maybe some of the cooling gel pads (my hospital gave me these), a nursing band/feeding reminder, some nice nursing tanks.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Thanks to all of you ladies for all of the great advice and anecdotes. I don't know what I would do without this group.

I am determined to BF, but am scared to death. I have very sensitive nipples already and I'm so anxious that baby and I won't be able to figure things out. I plan to take all the classes and read all of the resources I can. Just reading this has really helped. One question I have is that I read about people pumping during their commute. I have a 50 minute commute each way every day and this would be ideal. I assume I need a handsfree pumping bra? I haven't seen any that look like they would work for large chested gals (38E currently). Any suggestions?

I am also very interested in BLW and love everything that has been said here. I will definitely check out the videos of choking vs. gagging and read the recommended book. Can you also just mash up whatever you are eating as long as it is mushable or should you only start with fruit and veggie purees?
  • cbou said:

Thanks to all of you ladies for all of the great advice and anecdotes. I don't know what I would do without this group.

I am determined to BF, but am scared to death. I have very sensitive nipples already and I'm so anxious that baby and I won't be able to figure things out. I plan to take all the classes and read all of the resources I can. Just reading this has really helped. One question I have is that I read about people pumping during their commute. I have a 50 minute commute each way every day and this would be ideal. I assume I need a handsfree pumping bra? I haven't seen any that look like they would work for large chested gals (38E currently). Any suggestions?

I am also very interested in BLW and love everything that has been said here. I will definitely check out the videos of choking vs. gagging and read the recommended book. Can you also just mash up whatever you are eating as long as it is mushable or should you only start with fruit and veggie purees?

I had a lactation consultant tell me to cut a couple of slits in a sports bra to try for hands free pumping. I'm larger chested too and never bothered with using the expensive hands free stuff out there but those seems like it could work.
  • Ladies who have BF/FF before... What to register for?
    I know bottles, nipples, etc.. But what specifics do FTM need to know to get?

I loved my Brestfriend nursing pillow with my son. That and a nursing stool. Mambino nursing balm is awesome stuff, too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @dragonfly321 For the registry: disposable nursing pads (I liked Lansinoh), some sort of feeding pillow if you want (I just used a gel bed pillow, didn't like the Boppy), milk storage bags if you plan to pump (Lansinoh or Target brand were my favorite), a few types of singles or small pack bottles of you're going back to work.

Non-registry must haves: a few underwire free nursing bras (I liked Bravado body silk.. I think that's what they're called), nipple butter (I used Earth Mama Angel Baby), one handed snacks, and a couple reuseable water bottles.

• @cbou The Simple Wishes hands free pumping bra is amazing! Get one! I'm a 38G/H and it fits just fine. If goes over top of your regular nursing bra (after you unclip the cups), so you just unzip it when you're done and go on your merry way without any wardrobe changes. It's ideal for anyone that plans on pumping away from home.

• Graze boxes were my lifesaver when needing to remember snacks during pumping! I may have to start mine back up again :)
  • @VitaLuna - That sounds perfect! I was trying to imagine changing my bra at work...