April 2016 Moms
Options

Global Billing/Paying OB $1800 now? Insurance deductible changing in nov....Any advice?

kguitarchic18kguitarchic18 member
edited September 2015 in April 2016 Moms
It seems between talking to office staff, billing staff and my insurance I am as confused as ever. So my doctor at my first appointment has the global billing fee outlined for you, heres your deductible at $3,000, and your amount due from cigna is estimated at $1840 for the prenatal/postnatal care and delivery. Ok fine I get that, and it was explained that its held as a credit until after I deliver in April. I understood all of that, it makes sense, although kind of unfair it seems, but ok. I then mentioned that I will be moving into a lower deductible plan at $1500 instead of $3000 when open enrollment happens in November, which usually takes effect in what, January? I mentioned I would rather pay per visit and not pay any larger global fee amounts until next year when my deductible is much lower, and they mentioned they can't do that, but if it ends up being say $1000, then that $840 over would be refunded.

I probably need to call and speak with someone else in billing, but I was told by two people that since I would be switching plans technically, they will bill out in december, and then most my visits next year will probably be covered, and then bill under the new plan for the remaining visits and delivery. BUT why would I want to pay for all my care and have them bill me for visits next year under this "global billing" under my high deductible? that seems unfair, I would think I should only be billed for the portions or visits that happen in 2015 only.

Does anyone have a better understanding of this? So if I stayed on the same $3k deductible plan, they bill after delivery, but if I move deductibles, they bill all the expense under my more expensive deductible, it sounds like I am loosing money. (I am kicking myself for not signing up for the $1500 plan to begin with, but I can't go back in time)
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Global Billing/Paying OB $1800 now? Insurance deductible changing in nov....Any advice?

• Options
    On another note, since my insurance is staying the same (I will just be paying more per month, and have a lower deductible) do I even mention that to the doctor? Or do I just say nothing and then let them bill after delivery like they said, and then I would most likely get a refund based off the lower deductible for 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have advice for you because we are in the same boat, so sorry about that. I think I'm just going to pay what they have already calculated for us and if we over pay they can just refund us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    After working for insurance company I understood everything you just said and you did a great job explaining. :)

So this is what I would do. Since your changing your ded come Jan 1 to a lower amount tell them that you will pay them in payments. Something reasonable and affordable. I always suggest maybe $200/month so your not fully screwing yourself. And what honestly ends up happening is your insurance will process all of your claims based on when they are received not on whom you've paid in advance. So keep that in mind. Also remember something could happen in after Jan 1 and before baby is born aka break an ankle, where you could easily meet that ded way before you even deliver. I also told people to negotiate. Doctors offices and hospital always want to know that you plan on paying them something and since something is better than nothing I also low ball them. And speaking of hospital they will probably want some sort of down payment for when you go in and register so just a warning on that....and they won't care how much you've already paid towards your doctor.

I always prefer to owe money than wait for a refund and I say that because I've know doctors office and hospital taking up to 10 weeks to get the money returned to you. Or a small refund isn't as bad as close to $2000.

If you have any questions you can always message me. I'm here to help.
  • Options
    Yeah I am thinking I will just pay them, and then not say anything when I update my deductible in November since everything stays the same, and then let them bill me in April
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No problem. :) I've spent over 3 years in the insurance industry so I completely understand it. :)
  • Options
    Insurance is SUCH a pain! My deductible renews itself in January so my insurance company would make me meet it this year and then start again. Luckily we opted to pay the midwife upfront and then when the baby is born she will bill the $5000 for services rendered as of the DOB so it will only apply to next years deductible and I will only have to pay one - and we'll get a big chunk back. What a pain in the ass though. They will do anything not to cover it!