December 2015 Moms
Options

Heels or flats?

How many of you are still wearing heels? I have a wedding this Saturday and normally wouldn't ever consider flats for such a formal occasion but my heels don't fit me and not sure it's worth it to buy heels for a one-time use (assuming my feet go back to normal after baby). DH thinks I'm crazy and should wear flats but I just don't feel dressy enough.

Re: Heels or flats?

• Options
    I think it all depends on the shoe. I wore cork slide wedges to my shower this weekend & everyone was like "wow! Look at you in heels!" But it was really just b/c I wanted to wear a nice dress & none of my dress flats fit! It was either those or flip flops! I have pretty wide feet to start with & so the cute little ballet flats won't even slip on my big paddle feet these days. The wedges were actually fairly comfy & I stood for most of the shower, over 4 hrs. Maybe you have a wedge or platform option that will give your foot more support than a traditional heel?
  • Options
    I understand feeling underdressed but since you would be chancing the heels not fitting you again after baby, me personally I'd rather spend that heel money on something for the baby. Plus ppl wouldn't think of you as being underdressed since you are so far along in your pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wore wedge heels to my baby shower and was surprisingly comfortable to whole time. I'm still wearing heels for special occasions, but wearing flats to work. However, I don't think I would buy a pair of heels right now..I've been trying to avoid buying any shoes as most of my friends said their feet changed sizes after pregnancy. I would say get a cheap pair from Payless, but then you run the risk of being very uncomfortable... 

• Options
    I agree with the posters who suggest wedges, there are some really comfortable ones out there.  If you can't find any you like, I say go with the flats.  
  • Options
    If it will look ok with your dress I would go for a wedge option, however I feel like now more than ever you can totally get away with flats. being that you are pregnant and far along most people will be very understanding.
  • Options
    I wore heels to a wedding this weekend and changed into flip flops for reception/dancing.
  • Options
    No flats are very dressy if you get the right ones. But if you feel more appropriate in heels, would you consider a kitten heel? The heel is short but kitten heels are really popular lately and look cute on everybody.
  • Options
    I have tried to wear something with a heel. For me personally, even the slightest heel caused me to have hip/sciatic/foot pain. I have to wear flats to reduce the pain. You could always try to wear heels a little every day to work up your resistance to the feeling of having them on. I have done this when I have to wear heels to a formal event since I don't normally wear heels often.
  • Options

If you go ahead and wear heels (or any new shoes), you may want to consider wearing compression stockings with them (they make full length ones like pantyhose or even thigh high ones if you want those).  You may not have a chance to put your feet up at a wedding and any swelling in your feet might make wearing the heels unbearable.

• Options
    I've taught a few times in 2.5 inch wedges and while they fit, they also caused a lot of swelling. I think a kitten heel or a small wedge would be fine if you take the time to sit during the reception and rest your feet. 
  • Options
    I must be a freak of some sort, I still wear heels at work every day! I wore wedges to my shower so I was very comfortable, maybe you can ask a friend whose a size bigger to lend you a pair. I also second the PP, make sure you take sitting breaks and elevate your feet whenever possible.
  • Options
    krick43krick43 member
    edited September 2015
    I'm with you @Jenwatson6 ! Still wearing heels to work most days and definitely to weddings/ special occasions. I would say go with whatever will make you most comfortable! I agree about not wanting to buy new shoes but maybe check out target?
  • Options
    I'm with you girls! Feeling good about how you look will make you feel better so if you have to buy new heels go for it! If they are too big after you give birth ( which they might not be because some people never go back to their original size) u can always wear insoles to make them fit.
  • Options
    I'm a heels girl and am still rocking them. However, there are cute flats, especially if you do a point toe flat -- they dress up nicely.

And sorry for the UO, but kitten heels can looks really matronly with a cocktail dress.
  • Options
    Kudos to you ladies. I never wore heels before and did at an event a few weeks ago. It was awful. I'll stick to my cloud-like work shoes ;)
  • Options
    haahahahahahhahahaha sorry you clearly don't have swelling like me I can only wear orthotic sandals at this point. I never said that to be mean, I'm jealous actually! I would suggest if you do go with heels to get some flats to tuck in your bag for later...if your feet do start to swell or hurt you will really need them and chances are no one.will notice the switch. you don't want to ruin a nice night out because your feet hurt!
  • Options
    If it looks good wear wedges or a kitten heel. However you could get really snazzy bejeweled flats that dress up nice for comforts sake. I don't think anyone in their right mind would judge you. We are all at least over 6 months preggo at this point. But I understand you wanting to look good for you so go with what's comfy and you can always bring a pair of sandals for later
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    Similar to others -I had a wedding two weeks ago and another next weekend and I wore heels for the ceremony and cocktail hour and then put on some (leather so I mean, I'm still fancy) flip flops. Anyone who judges the footwear of a pregnant lady deserves a punch to the throat.
  • Options
    I haven't been able to wear heels for a few months now because I'm so off balance. But honestly, just go with what makes you feel comfortable and pretty. When I got married I had two friends who were both in the last trimester of pregnancy. I wouldn't have cared if they had shown up in jeans and flip flops. I was just happy to see them and celebrate the day! <:-P I'm sure whatever you decide will be prefect!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Due to foot issues, I usually only wear Dansko's...clogs, heels, of gym shoes. The clogs don't look right with leggings so I have been wearing more ballet flat type shoes when I'm out. I look forward to coming home and putting on the gym shoes to give my feet the support I need. I picked up these flats in red @ Target to wear with a blue dress I am wearing for maternity photos in a couple of weeks. I may wear them with a b&w dress this weekend for baby shower but am undecided right now.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the great replies ladies! :)
  • Options
    I still wear heels. They always put me in a good mood.
  • Options
    I still wear heels 5 out of 7 days. Last wedding I attended earlier this month, I wore 5 inch heels. But I am very used to them. My feet swell a bit regardless of the type of shoe therefore as long as the shoe is a little wider, heel or flat, I am comfortable.
  • Options
    I still wear my heels by Clark (not gorgeous but comfortable and totally work appropriate classic pumps) occasionally and am fine for a couple hours on even ground...wearing them at an outdoor event with gravel at 20 weeks wasnt my best idea, though. Please bring a backup just in case so you're not the girl walking barefoot on a city sidewalk because your shoes hurt so much.
  • Options
    Kitten heels all the way... I'm talking a quarter inch. I haven't worn real heels in months
  • Options
    I'm a wedge girl. I love my wedges!! I can honestly say I haven't worn them since I started showing but I also never dress up because I wear scrubs all day. Clearence rack wedges would be the way I would go!