September 2015 Moms
Options

Stool softeners After labour

I had my baby sept 18th and am not regular yet! I took stool softeners the first few days and then stopped.' I start to have a bm and then then the rest won't come..I'm also kinda crampy. I wonder how long others used stool Softeners adter birth?

Re: Stool softeners After labour

• Options
    I'm only 4 days out from delivery but I am still using them. I don't think I actually need them for regularity but I can't push hard enough to poop without them. As soon as my tear heals or the pain of pooping becomes bearable I'll continue
  • Options
    I'm 2.5 weeks, no stitches, but still taking them. It took me 8 days to poop and I've only gone 3x. So I take the colace every other day. From what I understand, stool softeners don't affect baby but a stimulant laxative would.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used them for a week. My nurse said to use them until you aren't scared to poop anymore. Haha. So I used them until I was less sore and pooping more regularly. 

• Options
    I had baby sept 20 and pooped right after but still using them becuz I'm pooping everyday but it's not easy and it's still solid so I'm just going to keep using them until it softens or I'm out
  • Options
    Miralax is my best friend right now. I'm 12 days pp and not even close to regular, but the Miralax definitely helps, as long as I remember to take it...
  • Options
    My dr put me on a stool softener for a month, LO is 18 days old and I'm still on them! I had a fourth degree tear though and have some stitches, but I appreciate having the ability to go #2 without the fear of pain!
  • Options
    Had my daughter the 11th and I'm still taking them! I skipped one day and it was hard to go, so I'm back on them. I didn't get and stitches but I'm still a little sore and I don't see any harm in taking them still.
  • Options
    I had my boy on the 18th by c-section and I was only taking a softener once a day... Let's just say my first bm was awful, worst part of everything by far. I had no tummy muscle strength to push! So now I take a stool softener every time I take a pain pill and haven't had any more issues. Thankfully. After having babies I have no shame! Haha.
  • Options
    I am two weeks out and still taking them
  • Options
    4wks pp and my doc told me to take them for 6weeks. I'm taking 3/per day because in the beginning the pain meds and iron made things difficult.
  • Options
    12 days pp and I am still taking them
  • Options
    7 days pp. I used them in the hospital and didn't continue when I got out. I'm regretting that now. So I went to the store today to get some because I definitely still need them haha
  • Options
    After hearing the horror stories from my in laws, I'm taking mine religiously and they've helped. Both my husband's aunt and his sister wound up ripping stitches when they didn't take theirs.
  • Options
    4 weeks pp and I'm still taking them ... hemmeroids are the devil! I plan to continue taking them until my 6-week appt at least she I can discuss it with my OB.