August 2015 Moms
Options

Cloth diapering mommas

Now that our LO's our here how are you liking cloth diapering? So far I've used thirsties covers with prefolds folded like inserts, bumgenius inserts and thirsties hemp inserts. I do use flushable liners to make things a bit easier. I also use a prefold with an insert and things are pretty good. I'm nervous about having LO wear a cloth diaper out and about though.

What brand, style and set up are you using?

Re: Cloth diapering mommas

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am loving prefolds and covers right now. I like BG AIO elementals once baby gets a little older. I am actually in the process of selling a bunch of CDs. I have way too many because my first 2 kids were in diapers at the same time.

I am getting rid of my BG freetimes because they are a nightmare to spray once kids start solid foods. I am also purging my BG NB AIOs and Grovia NB AIOs because my last 2 kids grew to fast to really wear them so there is no reason to hold on to them if I have a 4th baby.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    Mine had thrush issues so we stopped cloth for a while, but before that it was going great!;) I've been using Prefolds and covers, and love it. I have pocket diapers as well, they're just a smidge too big for her yet.
  • Options
    Second time around using cloth. Everything is going swell. I CD part time and use babyganics sposies for o/n and sometimes when we're out. I have both my girls mostly in cottonbabies indian cotton prefolds and thirsties duos but I have some bamboo flats and upcycled wool covers and some other random covers. Aug15 DD just fits in the newborn prefolds and thirsties duos though. I use upcycled cloth wipes exclusively. I just wet with water and apply coconut oil on the diaper area after and use a little coconut oil rubbed into the wet wipe for sticky messes. I'm using Charlie's Soap and I use it for all of our laundry. I use eucalan for the wool. I haven't had time to line dry in a while and now it's getting too cold but I have had no smell or major stain issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hcook321hcook321 member
    edited September 2015
    We've been using Osocozy size 1 prefolds with rumparooz newborn covers primarily. Sometimes we'll use a kissaluvs fitted or Thirsties fitted but the prefolds actually seem easier in the end. So far it's been good! When we go out, I bring bumgenius NB AIOs but I put one on him the other day and it barely fit so looks like we're onto their OS now! And because I don't AW often, here's a cute pic of him and DH with him in his CD :)

ETA- we use flannel cloth wipes at home and honest co disposable wipes when out. Using coconut oil too for small diaper irritation from pooping so much- it seems to work better than the CJ's BUTTer spritz.
  • Options
    Cloth diapering babe #2 now & we love it. Have always done prefolds & covers. So cheap & easy.
    Mom of one toddler boy, with another BOY on the way. Life is exciting traveling being active duty & a wife. 

Sometimes I vlog on
    YouTube. Check out my channel here! 
  • Options
    @mariafordon I was curious about rumparoos since they have such cute patterns. Glad to hear they're working out.

@hcook321 cute baby!
  • Options
    @raelynch87 thanks! I second the rumparooz (NB at least), they've fit him really well and not one leak or explosion!

@GirlOnTheBeach angel fold here too, super simple and seems to keep it all in!
  • Options
    @jlo629 I love the cloth diaper booty! She is super cute too!
  • Options
    I CD twins and haven't yet with LO since we have size 1 diapers from friends. I sewed a lot of mine which are basically fitted AIO like bumgenius which I stuff with inserts. The challenge I found is that my kids can only wear stretchy pants and shorts because of the diaper bulk and their big bottoms. I have some bumgenius, flip, econobum, and thirsties covers. I much prefer stuffed Velcro diapers because it's user friendly. I prestuff all of them out of the wash with liners. I also prematurely aged some of my diapers with Velcro by being lazy and putting them in the dryer. I learned my lesson and line dry all my covers now. This blog has great information about washing diapers. I personally didn't like the rocking green soap, my diapers still smelled funky (especially with real food poos) and was pretty expensive. If you have hard water, Charlie's soap or RLR is a great booster to counter hard water and get them cleaner. I have a front loader and learned too that the "bulky" load has the most water in the washing cycle out of all the cycles and works the best. I just have to do an extra spin cycle afterwards to get the extra water out.

https://cgmrb.blogspot.com/2013/10/cloth-diaper-washing-myth-busters.html?m=1
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emmacake08 I have a few flip covers and a few flip pocket diapers. I haven't been able to use those yet though because my LO's legs are too small still and I can see they will leak. I am loving the thirsties covers so far but I'm always looking for other options too. I've been using seventh generation soap and my diapers are coming out smelling great. What are you using? Thanks for the blog link!
  • Options
    We have been using the gdiapers in newborn size. So far all of our poo-spolisions have been when we use the Pampers Swaddlers someone gifted us. I love the gdiapers and still feel like we hit the easy button with them.
  • Options
    I just use the tide free and clear with a scoop of Charlie's soap in the basin (I have extremely hard water). I also use bac-out (I put it in the bleach dispenser) every 3-4 load to get any extra funk out. I think the blog post talks about natural detergents working well too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emmacake08 rocking green is terrible.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    Oh neat site @bhargrave88 ! Where was this 20 months ago when I had to learn the hard way with rocking green soap??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hcook321hcook321 member
    edited September 2015
    @bhargrave88 I used fluff love's guide for washers, found my Samsung model and use the routine they have on there, it's worked very well! I use liquid Tide original for HE also as its compatible with everything (diapers and our regular laundry)
  • Options
    @bhargrave88 yes! I love that site. I've been using seventh generation detergent since that's what we normally use and their detergent chart said it would work. So far it's been great but I might pick up some tide.
  • Options
    Ugh I have totally been using rocking green for almost two years and out diapers never seem to quite smell clean. Will definitely be trying a regular detergent now, I can't wait to see if that helps! Thank you for posting that link!!! Also will be simplifying our wash routine... Do you guys bleach your diaper covers? I use FB one size pocket diapers... I've bleached the inserts obviously but didn't think I could bleach the covers...
  • Options
    aveline8 said:

Ugh I have totally been using rocking green for almost two years and out diapers never seem to quite smell clean. Will definitely be trying a regular detergent now, I can't wait to see if that helps! Thank you for posting that link!!! Also will be simplifying our wash routine... Do you guys bleach your diaper covers? I use FB one size pocket diapers... I've bleached the inserts obviously but didn't think I could bleach the covers...

You should do an RLR and bleach soak! The instructions are on the link I posted, I believe under "seniors"

I recommend anyone who's been having smell issues or has been washing their diapers in rock n green or washing and not knowing they had hard water do an RLR and bleach soak, then develop a simple wash routine. I've never had to do an RLR and bleach soak in my diapers for stink issues (I do if I buy used ones tho, just because well.. That's the thing to do! Lol!) I've always used tide on mine even before I found fluff love. When I discovered I had hard water, I did an RLR and bleach soak to make sure i headed up any issues and added calgon now with each diaper load. And haven't ever had an issue!

(Also if your towels get that mildew smell, like we get here in FL, and get crunchy, you can get them soft again by doing an RLR on them too! Soft. Fluffy. Smells clean!)

If I can help with anything else, I'll do my best :) not an expert but there is so much misinformation out there that makes cloth diapering seem hard (ie. Special soaps, extra rinses ...which don't do if you have hard water, btw., ) that people give up on it. I hate to see that when it really is easy!
  • Options
    Yes ^^^. The link I posted too talks about how you can bleach covers, the PUL is color fast (I've bleached mine a few times). If you get a lot of ammonia build up, you can use bac-out which is an enzyme that breaks up any built up bacteria.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emmacake08 thanks for the link. I couldn't bear to shell out the money for special cloth diaper detergent and now I'm glad I didn't!
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice! I am definitely going to do the soak (our diapers stink!) and we have pretty hard water where we live and I have always been doing extra rinses!! I can't believe how much I've been doing wrong/unnecessarily after cd'ing for 2 years!
  • Options
    I've been cloth diapering my LO. We have been using a combination of prefolds or FSTs with rumparooz NB covers, pockets (bum genius and rumparooz), grovia one, and imagine diapers. I am waiting on an order of BG free times to try the those. I'm trying to figure out what I like best! I also just switched to cloth wipes last week. So easy!
  • Options
    I've been using newborn gdiaper covers and prefolds once in a while with this LO. I don't have enough newborn size to do full time, so I'm patiently waiting for her to grow into the one size Alvas I have with the super cute prints! I am thinking of getting some thirsties covers too!

I agree with PP about FluffLoveUniversity! I've learned so much and they have a great FBook group you can join and the admins are wonderul if you need help with anything :) The facebook group is called Fluff Love and Cloth Diaper Science.
  • Options
    Cloth diapering my second and it's been going very well! We use Applecheeks covers and Bummis inserts (Canadian brands) and I love them!
  • Options
    So far I have bought about 9 various diapers. They are all pockets or AIO's . Haven't used them yet since most of them are the one size diapers. Just washed them today because I think he might fit in them now. How many do you all go through a day on average?

Also does Anyone know if you can use burt's bees diaper cream& powder two in 1 cream with cloth diapers ? It doesn't have zinc in it .
  • Options
    @staciedw yes you can use BB 2 in 1. I used fluff love university's diaper cream guide and its a go! It's been working really well for my LO
  • Options
    Lurking from May...using Flips and some Bum Genius diapers.

Be careful with 'flushable' liners - there was a consumer report on them and they are horrible for septic and sewer systems - plumbers curse them.

I use Laundry Tarts soap for my diapers - it works great so far in my front loader.  Also, a great suggestion I read was that if your diapers do get really funky is get them professionally cleaned at a cloth diaper place - most will do it apparently.