June 2016 Moms

Heparin anyone have to take? I also have the mthfr mutation.

I am almost 5 weeks and my doctor is suggesting me do heparin shots because of previous miscarriages and I also have the mthfr mutation.. anyone have any success with this? We're you OK taking it? I'm really worried..

Re: Heparin anyone have to take? I also have the mthfr mutation.

• No personal experience, but a good friend of mine took heparin shots for 2 successful pregnancies.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That's good to hear.. I'm such a nervous wreck lol..
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I took twice daily shots during my first pregnancy for Factor V Leiden. I expect I'll be back on them after going in for my first appointment this time around. It was fairly easy, once you get over the initial ickiness of giving yourself shots. If you are taking them in the stomach, be prepared for rows of bruises on your abdomen. And they do get more painful in the third trimester when you don't have a lot of pinch-able fat on your belly. But my baby was healthy, I was healthy, and over all, it was not difficult. Take it from someone who faints if she does not lay down when receiving a shot, you'll get used to and will think nothing of it after the first week.
    For what it's worth, I found the ladies on the High Risk board very helpful when I was last in this community, four years ago. They even had a weekly check-in for those taking blood thinners. I'd recommend introducing yourself over there. Good luck!
  • No experience myself but my cousin is Factor V and took the shots through 3 successful pregnancies

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Thanks so much everyone I start tomorrow..
  • I'll be taking it as well. First pregnancy, I see my high risk doc on Friday and I'm sure will start then.
  • Good luck with it! I have MTHFR (homozygous A1298C), too, but it was diagnosed after my son was born, so despite four losses, I'm not on the heparin (or even baby aspirin).
    ---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)