June 2016 Moms

To caffinate or be a sad sad panda?

I'm a third timer here so it may seem like a silly question, but how are all you ladies planning on handling the coffee situation? I can do decaf coffee no prob, but when it comes to my chai tea lattes with a pump of pumpkin spice I just don't know if I have the strength to let that go!!!!! My first pregnancy I cut caffeine all together and my second I didn't really care and had caffeine throughout. I had a much better time with my first and felt much better. Do you think there is a happy medium!! Or should I just say bye bye to the chai?!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: To caffinate or be a sad sad panda?

• It's up to you because I believe it's ok to have up to a certain amount of caffeine per day. I don't see anything wrong with an occasional chai latte cause I think it's still less caffeine than coffee. I personally cut all caffeine but I barely drank anything to begin with.
  • I personally could not stand the smell or thought of coffee with my first. I was a coffee addict, but the aversion made cutting it out easy! I was told 8oz a day of coffee would be fine though. My sis in law drank a massive turvis daily and her dr didn't say anything.
    I was so sick with my first that I had to drink coke in the middle of the night every night.. I don't think a small amount of caffeine will harm anyone.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not giving up my morning java but I've cut it down to just just one cup a day.  
    Me: 29
    The Mr.: 31
    EDD: 6/2/16
    Furbabies: 3 rescue dogs
  • @VikingGirl12 I was the exact same way! The smell and taste of coffee repulsed me right from the start with my first pregnancy. Like @mrsp2213 I cut it down to just one cup this week.... And the rest decaf. It just tastes so good!
  • I am a one cup a day gal. Always have been always will. I did not cut my one cup when I was pregnant with my son, and he's fine. I just had my one cup this morning and do not plan on cutting it out.

I do have a hard time drinking water though. I did pretty good at upping the water intake with my son, but it was hard! Not looking forward to that again (even though I KNOW it's good for me pregnant or not)
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• @VikingGirl12 oh my gosh. I walked into target on Friday and the entrance was right next to the Starbucks and the smell I usually love smelled awful!! I couldn't handle it.

I started cutting out caffeine when I decided to get pregnant so it has made it easier to go caffeine free.
  • I have 1 cup of coffee a day cause I'll be miserable without it! I checked Mother Risk when I first became pregnant and their research concluded that up to 300mg per day was the limit. I have a short Americano misto which is 60 mg and I rarely eat chocolate (loaded with caffeine too) so I'm feeling ok with my one cup a day! I may treat myself to a pumpkin spice latte today:)
  • I'm a total caffeine addict, so cutting back is a bummer for me. I do half caff, so then it's not a red flag for me to go from four cups a day (no judging!!!) to one.
  • About one cup a day for me. Normally I'm two. Last time I tried cutting it out and it wasn't fun.
    Is it Starbucks chai you like? You can buy the tazo chai latte mix decaffeinated :):)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It is Starbucks...I asked yesterday if they made it in decaf they said no! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Ahh that's sucky!
    Can you order it online?
    Do you guys have a Sobeys? I can buy the concentrate carton at our local Sobeys caffeinated or decaf.

Or anywhere that sells Tazo products.

I need to try adding pumpkin sauce to chai - I've never done it!!!
  • @cattuccino dooooooo it!!!!!! It's amazing!! Thanks for the tip! I will look for it!
  • I drink all the caffeine while pregnant. 3rd time here as well. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a night shifter who depends on my nightly fix. But I'm limiting myself to one 16oz latte a night then trying sparkling flavored water to replace my soda and some ice teas here and there. So far, so good!!
  • I will drink up to two cups per day. 200mg is Ok! Enjoy you chai!
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• I've read up to 200mg caffeine is fine! I'm enjoying my cup now :)
    Me: 27 
    Love of my life: 41 
    Step-mother to an amazing 13-year-old boy 
    TTC starting August 2015 

• I cut out most caffeine (an occasional soda) with my first, but this time around I'm not sure that I can.  DS doesn't sleep that late (we get up every day at 5:30) so I have become a little dependent on my large latte with 3 shots of espresso... going cold turkey might be dangerous for me.
  • @cattuccino dooooooo it!!!!!! It's amazing!! Thanks for the tip! I will look for it!

@jerseybroadwaybaby I feel like I owe you so much.

Deeeelicious!!!!
  • Went and bought some decaf yesterday for my morning cup. I'm sitting here at work exhausted! I'm gonna have to his sbux on my lunch! I will just cut way down!
  • I plan to drink raspberry leaf tea when a coffee craving hits.
  • I usually have a large coffee every morning, but it makes me feel pretty puketastic now. I sadly switched to tea. Is it nap time yet?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went from 3 cups a day to 1. I cut it out completely for my first other than chocolate every now and then. I still plan on having my 1 cup a day or substitute if I feel like having chocolate that day. I despise decaf so I'd rather go without then drink that imposter!
  • Switched to decaf. I am indeed a sad panda. =-(

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• I feel ya @noslen0519 I never got to Sbux today
  • Third timer here too....I drank coffee with both of girls. My midwive suggested I enjoy a morning cup...moderation is definitely key ;-)

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• I took my coffee to work today like usual and didn't even take a sip. I kept giving it the side eye. The aversion is kicking in already. I ended up with two cartons on Apple juice instead.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited September 2015
  • With my first I drank low caffeine teas instead. You just have to make sure they are safe because not all of them are. I still treat myself to a green tea or a cup of coffee here and there when I really need it. I don't drink soda though so my caffeine intake is pretty low to start with.
  • Third timer here, people's lives depend on me drinking coffee. I won't be cutting down or giving it up. I didn't with my last 2 and won't be with this one. I'm a rebel rule breaker though. :) Enjoy your coffee!

Teagan-11/22/10
    Scarlett Madison-12-18-2014
    Baby # 3 Due 06/02/16

Furchildren include
    Kali 12/20/10-Husky-Has Addison's Disease.
    Doxie 10/04/11-Dachsund
    Tadley 11/12-Cat Ruler of the house.
  • You can have 200 mg of caffeine a day. If your only source of caffeine is coffee, drink it. I'm sticking to one cup a day.
  • So far, I've given up caffeine but I haven't sworn it off forever.... I actually don't drink that much of it to begin with. I think it's about everything in moderation... or so my friends tell me!
  • Nope.  It's decaf for me from here on out.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For me, the answer is to caffeinate, definitely! I LOVE my morning cup of coffee. I have cut down from 2 cups to 1 cup most days since starting TTC, but I'm not giving up that 1 cup.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml