September 2015 Moms

Puking after feeding

DS is 12 days old. He has thrown up a couple times while feeding, but the past two days has been pretty rough. He throws up (with force and gagging) after almost every feed. Some he doesn't but I have to keep
Him upright and really work to get a burp out of him.
I have a forceful let-down and I am
Not sure if that is causing it, or allergies, or reflux, or something else. It's making me really sad to see him unable to keep much down. Anyone else dealing with this or have dealt with it before?

Re: Puking after feeding

• Sounds like reflux. However, projectile vomiting could also be pyloric stenosis. I would definitely get LO into the ped. I'm taking my almost 3 week old in today for what I think is reflux as well
  • I know with ds1 he had milk issues (couldn't drink cow milk formula ) and would projectile vomit. It could be a sensitivity or allergy to it (I'm lactose intolerant, and allergic).

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My little guy is very spit-up-y. Some days it's worse than others. Sometimes it's all curdled and nasty and I have to use the nose sucker to get it out of his mouth. I'm thinking about making a chiropractic appt for him next week.
  • My LO spits up a lot after some feedings. We have to stop many times to burp her. I will new her upright in the swing or rock her in the recliner for awhile before I put her down in her bassinet. Even then, sometimes she spits up all over. Pediatrician said it's normal. She doesn't seem lactose intolerant. Hope this is just temporary. We are doing laundry everyday. lol
  • Thanks everyone, it is pretty frustrating trying to figure out what's up. Today I have taken about 45min/1hr per feeding so that I can burp him Numerous times in between. So far we have had two feedings without puking. Fingers crossed for more. He had still
    Been having lots of wet diapers, so he must have still been getting some into him even though he was puking a lot.

• My daughter (now 11) projectile vomited all the time, plus spit up nearly all the time as a baby. Turns out she has celiac sprue - I was diagnosed after she was. It is genetic. Not saying it's what is effecting your lo but something to look into.
  • I've been seeing a lactation consultant and my LO has an upper lip and tongue tie....getting a lot of air because of a poor latch...also tight body....will need some work.... Apparently this is a big cause of spitting up/reflux that a lot of pediatricians sort of dismiss. How is your latch? and weight gain? something to look into.... Just an idea 
  • melco19melco19 member
    edited September 2015
    Weighty gain is good. He lost a lot before we left the hospital, but after 5 days he was up and over his birth weight. They checked for a tie because his older brother had one and they didn't see one.
    I contacted the lactation consultant and just waiting to hear back.