May 2016 Moms
Options

Fainting

The other day I felt like I was going to black out. I even came very close. I hadn't eaten yet because I was waiting for my husband to bring me food and it was about 9 in the morning. I immediately sat down a drank some milk because I have had seizures as a teenager and I'm 27 now. Is fainting normal in early pregnancy? This is my first pregnancy also.

Re: Fainting

• Options
    I don't know if it's "normal" but I do know that it happens. Be really careful about drinking enough water and eating small snacks, maybe even before you get out of bed to keep your blood sugar from dropping too low.
  • Options
    @jenrgonzalez I fainted at 7 weeks. We were at a diner and it was pretty scary, especially for my DH. My doctor explained that it was due to low blood sugar and dehydration. Reflecting on that morning I could see that I hadn't eaten enough or had enough fluids and was pushing myself to stay active despite my exhaustion. You should absolutely reach out to your doctor, but one thing mine told me was that I must, must eat something by 8:30 AM. That is actually quite late for me, I typically wake up from hunger before 6 so I keep saltines in my bedside drawer. Then I'll have a more proper breakfast of egg whites on whole wheat toast around 8/8:30, sometimes waffles if I can't hang with eggs. She explained that eating small meals every 2 hours is crucial during pregnancy. All the eating has become a chore but it is certainly worth it.

I do think fainting in pregnancy is fairly common, that's how some women find out they're KU in the first place after all but you should definitely call your doctor as they may want to see you (mine did) and get serious about eating and drinking enough every day.

I hope you're feeling better!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I fainted at 3 weeks, hit my head hard enough to warrant staples. Stay hydrated. Eat small frequent meals. get up slowly from lying/seated positions.
  • Options
    I have been having some intense dizzy spells but haven't fainted. As PPs have said, staying hydrated and keeping food in your stomach should help quite a bit. Hope you feel better!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't fainted but I do realize that if I don't eat by 8am, I feel dizzy and am absolutely starving. I would make sure you are eating frequently and drinking a lot of fluids.