February 2016 Moms

Anti "girly" clothes shopping help/vent

2»

Re: Anti "girly" clothes shopping help/vent

• I love this post.  I don't mind kind of feminine clothes, but am not a fan of frilly, ruffly or all pink stuff.  I'm having a girl and I agree that it's really hard to find non-pink stuff for girls.

My biggest pet peeve though, is clothes with brand labels written on them, like the shirts that say GAP across the front.  If my child is going to be a walking billboard, I shouldn't have to pay the company, they should pay me. 

• We are having a girl this time too and my husband and I already decided we weren't doing the "princess" concept and there is an over-abundance of the princess crap everywhere. My MIL laughed when we told her we didn't want princess stuff and thought that was ridiculous, now almost goes out of way to find something with princess. Anyways i'm old fashioned and really love floral prints and am happy a lot of clothes now have the florals. There are a lot of "nature" themed clothes out lately for girls and we were at BRU last week and noticed a lot of mints and greys for girls so good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • We are having a girl this time too and my husband and I already decided we weren't doing the "princess" concept and there is an over-abundance of the princess crap everywhere. My MIL laughed when we told her we didn't want princess stuff and thought that was ridiculous, now almost goes out of way to find something with princess. Anyways i'm old fashioned and really love floral prints and am happy a lot of clothes now have the florals. There are a lot of "nature" themed clothes out lately for girls and we were at BRU last week and noticed a lot of mints and greys for girls so good luck
    Ugh! I HATE princess stuff....
  • ashcody2 said:

It's very similar to Craigslist but you can see who you are dealing with and in my experience less likely to be stood up vs. CL since you can usually report no shows to the admin of the group, I'm hoping this all makes sense, kind of hard for me to explain!

That's awesome! Thanks so much for the info, and yes you make plenty of sense!
  • I love this post.  I don't mind kind of feminine clothes, but am not a fan of frilly, ruffly or all pink stuff.  I'm having a girl and I agree that it's really hard to find non-pink stuff for girls.

My biggest pet peeve though, is clothes with brand labels written on them, like the shirts that say GAP across the front.  If my child is going to be a walking billboard, I shouldn't have to pay the company, they should pay me. 

I 100% agree! It's ridiculous! I also feel that brand labeling clothing like that could encourage bullies.
  • As soon as I told my old coworker we were having a girl the first thing out of her mouth was "ooh now you can get pink everything and little tutus and bows" I was ready to puke rainbows right then and there.

Anyways thanks so much for the advice (and for understanding the pink pain)
  • Bohemama22Bohemama22 member
    edited September 2015
    I feel exactly the same absolutely hate the pink/blue thing which is why we have chosen to be team green! I'm sure my family will buy very gendered clothes for my LO when he/she arrives but for now I've bought gender neutral things from H&M and GAP.
  • Twindling said:

Next direct

This. They have more "trendy" clothing for little girls and boys, and they style their looks accordingly so I find lots of options.

I dislike gender neutral things because they are always white or pale yellow, so next direct has more interesting options.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel exactly the same absolutely hate the pink/blue thing which is why we have chosen to be team green! I'm sure my family will buy very gendered clothes for my LO when he/she arrives but for now I've bought gender neutral things from H&M and GAP.

I wish I had the patience to be team green, i didn't even have the patience to wait until our reveal plan, I looked early.
  • I have found some cute gender neutral things, but I wanted to add that I also hate writing on baby clothes. It's creepy, like the clothing is trying to speak for the baby.

I also hate that boys clothes say things like "little man" or "little gentleman" and girls clothes would never say "little woman". Just "princess" or some stupid crap.