1st Trimester

Prenatal vitamins

Do most insurance companies cover prenatal vitamins. My ob gave me a bunch of samples but I forgot to ask about a prescription. Anyone have luck with getting insurance to pay? If not which over the counter do you recommend?

Re: Prenatal vitamins

• No for insurance paying for them I just get the generic brand at Walmart. Have with all 4 pregnancies with no issues. Good luck if your ins company will though!
  • My insurance pays for them...even the gummies.  But my doctor had to write a prescription.  She also told me that Meijer gives pre-natal vitamins for free.  https://www.meijer.com/content/content.jsp?pageName=prenatal_vitamins

We don't live very close to one, so it isn't worth the drive for us.  
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends. The one my doc prescribed me was almost $80 for the bottle (1 month worth)! 
    So I didn't get them and I've stuck with Rainbow Light Prenatal One or Rainbow Light Precious Gems (gummies). About $23 for a month's supply.
  • kimey1 said:

It depends. The one my doc prescribed me was almost $80 for the bottle (1 month worth)! 

So I didn't get them and I've stuck with Rainbow Light Prenatal One or Rainbow Light Precious Gems (gummies). About $23 for a month's supply.
    I do the Rainbow Light as well in the mini tablets and along with that I take a separate pill for DHA. The mini tablets were a little bit more and I have to take three of them a day. Do you take the normal size? If so are they terribly big and hard to swallow? I'd rather take one!
  • Some insurances will cover most of it after the deductible is met. You can actually call them with the name of the prescriptions that the doc would recommend and ask what the coverage is.
  • @AmandaADoucette i like the gummies because theyre chewable though its 3 a day. But they're often sold out so I go back and forth between the gunnies and regular horsepill size. Right now I'm taking two of the big pills cuz i got the 2-in-1 set where the prenatals came with DHA.
  • I didn't think to check on insurance, but I don't think it's covered on mine. I just buy the CVS brand (with folic acid) and haven't had any issues. Seemed comparable to the others I've seen.

• Thanks for all the replies!! :)
  • nope, not covered, for me at least! ahah. i go with Materna vitamins. it's in the low $20's i believe & it's 100 days worth.
  • I didn't think to check on insurance, but I don't think it's covered on mine. I just buy the CVS brand (with folic acid) and haven't had any issues. Seemed comparable to the others I've seen.

I've been taking the CVS brand gummy ones, too. Super tasty and 800 mcg of folic acid (got them 2 for $10 recently, too!). I will have to check on the insurance coverage, though, when I finally have my first appt. Good idea!
  • I also was reading some insurance companies will cover breast pumps too. Maybe that's something else you want to look into that too once the baby is almost here.
  • I do the rainbow light as well. I got mine off Amazon and they weren't too pricey.
  • I'm taking Vitafusion prenatal gummies - $10 for 45 day supply. They taste awesome and have the folic acid and DHA. I'll avoid the horse pills unless I get anemic (they don't contain iron).
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • I get the chewy first response prenatals. It's like 11$ for a 45 day supply.
  • Vita fusion taste way better but that was sold out in my store.