March 2015 Moms

Question for Catholic baptisms

Good morning! My husband and I are having our son baptized in a Catholic Church. The church gave us an envelope and told us donations are welcome. I'm just curious as to how much of a donation people give.

Re: Question for Catholic baptisms

• Our church was the same way. Actually they didn't even mention donating money. But we are close with our priest; he also married us. So we decided to give $200 for our son's baptism. I don't think there is any right amount to donate. Just give whatever you are comfortable with.
  • We gave $100 to the priest
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't get married in the church. Does anyone know if that means we can't baptize our baby? Can godparents be chosen if they weren't married in the church either? We all did outdoor weddings.
  • You will need to provide information proving you are a part of the church, so like your own baptism/communion/confirmation records. If you don't have copies of this then you can probably call the church who performed these. I believe at least one parent needs to provide this information, the same for a couple to be godparents.   
  • Yes, provide evidence you are a baptized Catholic and at least 1 Godparent also needs to be not only a baptized Catholic but one in good standing (their parish can provide a certificate saying they are in good standing <ie going to Mass regularly at their church). We gave $100 to the priest but they never requested a donation. Just give whatever you can afford.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • I think every church is different.  My church did not ask for records from us as the parents at all.  They did require us and the godparents to attend a baptism preparation class.  They also needed a letter from the godparents' church stating that they were members.  But that's pretty much all they asked for.  Our baptism hasn't happened yet but we're planning on donating $100