Baby Names

Thoughts on Phoenix

I am having a very hard time with finding a name for my little boy. Right now the only one that is sticking on the list is Phoenix. But somehow I can't jump on board 100% as this is the one! I like a relatively uncommon name. But is this too trendy? People said that the name I chose for my older son was a bit out there and trying too hard. But I didn't feel that way about it because I loved it. I kind of feel like Phoenix is trying too hard in a way but maybe just because it's a lot of name. A lot in terms of its reference and background. I do like it and usually I don't care about eye rolls if it's something I like and feels right. My husband loves it. Interested in opinions.

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

Re: Thoughts on Phoenix

• What's your older son's name? I dislike Phoenix, definitely nms, but it's not the worst name I've heard. I dislike it 95%.
  • Linsbins said:

What's your older son's name? I dislike Phoenix, definitely nms, but it's not the worst name I've heard. I dislike it 95%.

Peregrine. Not a lot of people's style either. But I love it and it fits him. He goes by Perry a lot at daycare. But I don't feel like I can use a name like James or other standard boys name next to that, even if they are perfectly acceptable names.

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

• Loading the player...
  • Hmm. Hearing the sibling name actually makes me like Phoenix more. Personally, if I had a Phoenix in my class, I would comment on it once but it would probably grow on me. Although I do think you could do a James type name if you like.
  • Sadly the first thing I think of is the city lol though not a bad choice, but I grew up with a boy named Kansas. You could always go with Meriadoc ( aka Merry) since Peregrine was Pippins real name in Lord of the Rings.
  • Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited September 2015
    I automatically thought of the city. But that's not a bad thing and it's not a horrible name. Not my style, but if you love it then go for it.
  • I would personally raise my eyebrows at two siblings with bird names. But if that's your style, own it!
  • I'm neutral on this name. Not my style but not the worst. I know a 5yo Phoenix and he is adorable, so there's that :)
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I think of river Phoenix. NMS

But I like Peregrine. I thought girl at first though.

I think James goes well with it. Because it's a strong name. A strong common name would be ok. Just no nn Jamie.
  • My FIL loves to golf there.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I think it fits nicely with your other son's name!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I really like Phoenix. Especially with your other DS's name. 
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• I like the name Phoenix! 
  • I was actually going to say I like it until I saw your other son's name. Two P bird names seems like a bit much.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's not my style, but I prefer really traditional names. I would say that if your sons name is Peregrine, naming your second something like Harold would seem weird. Have you considered nickname options for Phoenix? (I ask because I can't think of any...)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I like Phoenix by itself, and I love Peregrine (I'd better, my son's name is derived from it), but I personally would be unlikely to use two bird names. I think it does match well with Peregrine, for sure... But I don't know if I'd want people to think I have a 'theme'. On the other hand, I don't think people would side eye the name itself, they'd side eye the 'theme' (if they side-eyed anything). So that means if there is any bad vibes to be received over the name, it will be you feeling them instead of your kids. So if you can take that with your chin up and not GAF what other people think about it, I'm behind you using it.
  • Thanks everyone. The theme thing doesn't bother me so much. My mom's name is a bird name in Japanese so it's a nice homage and really I'm surprised how many people don't really know much about the name Peregrine. The hipsterish, city reference kind of bugs me. I think the problem is that I'm not 100% in love with it but it really fits the best with this baby. I don't hate it at all. Plus he's a FET baby so was frozen for a couple years and "resurrected" and I think Phoenix suits that. My hubby is 80% sure it's the name. The problem is there is nothing else I'm in love with either!

• It's not my style, but I prefer really traditional names. I would say that if your sons name is Peregrine, naming your second something like Harold would seem weird. Have you considered nickname options for Phoenix? (I ask because I can't think of any...)

I can't think of any either! Nick or Nix. But our cat is Nyx...

• I actually just read an article saying millennials love gender neutral names such as "Phoenix."  My husband and I side-eyed this list which included Karter, Amari and Quinn.  So according to Time this might be a popular name for boys and girls...https://time.com/3932662/2015-gender-neutral-baby-names/
  • I really like Phoenix, reminds me of Joaquin and his Johnny Cash biopic. Anyways, I didnt know what a Peregrine is, so the bird connection isn't a given. Go with it if your love it! Nix would be a cute nickname!
  • I met a girl named Phoenix a couple of years ago while I was still in College. It suited her perfectly and people commented on how great the name was all the time. I think both genders can pull it off, and I certainly didn't think it was a strange name when I first met her.
  • If the bird theme doesn't bother you, I say go for it. I like the sound of the names together.
  • Phoenix isn't my style, but it sounds like it is yours. People will start to recognize the peregrine as a bird with the upcoming book-to-movie Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's an awesome story, btw. Check it out for your son if he is in to that type of thing. If it gets popular, the names will be seen as bird-themed but that isn't a big deal, really.
    I can see Phoenix having the NN Nix. Perry and Nix, full names Peregrine and Phoenix go well with each other and the NN's are nice
  • The more posts in here I'm reading, the more I like it.  Especially when you referred to him kind of being "resurrected."

And as far as a bird theme goes, at least both your birds are pretty tough... not like Robin or Finch.  :)
  • I really like Phoenix! It's actually a name I considered if I was having a boy. It's bold but I'm more into out there names than the boring Harry's and John's. If it's something that fits and you like I say go for it!
  • If you don't mind having a theme, I say go for it. They are both really cool names. The symbolism of the name in relation to him is really cool. And the tie-in to your mom is a really sweet coincidence. :-bd
  • I like the name and have heard Feenie as a nickname on the playground for short for Phoenix. I think the names go well together.
  • My first thought would always be the city.
  • I think Phoenix is a cool name but if you aren't 100% I wouldn't do it. I love the name Griffin and think that would be enough of a "unique" name without it trying too hard
  • ^^ That. I like it a lot, more for a girl than a boy but it's nice for a boy too. But it's the kind of name you really need to be in love with to attach to somebody you have to talk to every day until you die :)
  • Thanks everyone. I think we're going with it. At least for now. Talking it out has made me love it more.

• I actually love the name Phoenix! 
    S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker