April 2016 Moms

How to deal with pregnancy symptoms at work?

Hello,

I'm 23 and pregnant with my first child. I am 13 weeks and 3 days. The other day at work I was nauseous and the smells around the workplace made it worse. I work at a retail and always on my feet ,but this particular day everything I ate I threw up. I kept constantly going to the bathroom and I'm worried it could cause a problem in the workplace. So, how do you deal with morning sickness at the workplace ?

Re: How to deal with pregnancy symptoms at work?

• Working with morning sickness it's definitely difficult. If you can you should try to snack so that way your stomach isn't empty. Crackers and ginger ale helped me. If it gets really bad your doctor can prescribe you meds that are safe for pregnant women, that way you don't have to feel so miserable at work.
  • I had this same issue at work. I felt so sick I couldn't get anything done. Luckily I have my own office so I basically sit back in my chair all day moping. But i asked my dr what I can do and she prescribed me Diclegis. Seriously heaven sent. Makes the nausea non existant. Now if only I could get prescribed something for how exhausted I am all day! Haha
  • Loading the player...
  • I am pretty fortunate that I have a private office and my bosses don't sit in my suite. So I can kind of come and go as I need to. In the beginning, I had to eat something every couple hours- popcorn, dry cereal, granola bars- to settle my stomach.

Now that I am further along, I eat less frequently but I still can't have an empty stomach. I am sure it is tough in a retail environment, so I hope you find something that works for you.
  • Don't wear heels to work, they make it hard to make the mad dash to puke! Also, wear a cardigan or light sweater, then you can cover your nose like a bandit when you smell something unpleasant!  HAHAHA! That's literally what I've been doing! I teach, so I am not in a retail environment, but like PP said, small snacking through the day and ginger ale.  

imageimage
  • I haven't tried them in a while, but the sea bands really helped me with nausea early on in pregnancy. The only bad thing about it is that you have to wear long sleeves to cover them or risk people noticing them or being familiar with what they're for. As all of the PP have said, constantly keeping something in your stomach will help. I notice I get the most sick when I don't eat for a while and then throw up once I do finally eat.