January 2016 Moms

How to pick the right pediatrician

How do you pick the right pediatrician for your baby? What sort of questions should I ask my potential pediatrician?

Re: How to pick the right pediatrician

• Thanks for this thread - I'm wondering what questions to ask as well!
  • I asked local moms, I ended up going with the pediatrician my niece and nephew see because they had the best recommendations.
  • Loading the player...
  • I asked around, interviewed a few to see their interaction with me and then picked what felt like a good fit for us based on recommendations, hours of operations, affiliation with children's hospital near us, ect. I ended up loving the group and thinking I loved the Doctor I selected but after my son was born, felt like she didn't listen to my concerns. 2 other dr in the group did so I change my primary to one of the others in the group and LOVE her!!!!
  • We asked our local friends and my ob. My ob recommend a pedi, we researched him and the practice but they didn't do interviews. Our friends recommended the same pedi and raved about thw practice, but he wasn't accepting newborns so we went with another from the practice and loved him. He moved this summer and we were able to get the pedi that we were originally referred to and we are really happy with him and the whole practice.
  • I took recommendations from friends. Never did interview a pediatrician, but did call the office to let them know I was expecting and find out what needed to be done to have my son as a patient there. If you do interview one questions could be along the lines of what is your vaccine schedule? Do you support delayed vaccine schedule if that is something you are interested in. How quickly can you get in for a sick visit? Do they have a 24 hour nurse line? Do they have a lactation consultant on staff? That is all I can think of right now
  • Important to us was was: 1. Somone in our town, or within 10 minutes from our house. 2. Someone with walk in hours Monday thru Friday, and open Saturday. 3. Someone who has close relationship to patients, ours gave us his cell phone number and makes house calls on Sunday. 4. Someone who is part of a practice so if they are away we have other people we know who we can communicate with. Things we thought about that weren't deal breakers, but we still got someone who meets all. 1. Someone was is from this area, DH was afraid that they might leave, my PCP left while I was pregnant to take care of her mother. 2. Someone who is young, DH didn't want somone who is going to retire while our child is still seeing them. 3. Somone who has kids, DH wanted someone who understands everything about having kids and is experiencing it at the same time. We looked at a lot of reviews and once we found someone we liked we interviewed them. I worked at a doctors office so after the interview I asked people at work about this practice. We have been going there almost 6 years and I still love them.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Also schedule your interview during the day and go early. This will give you time to look at the waiting room and see how long other patients have to wait. One of the schedulers I worked with gave me that tip.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Like other PP I asked friends/family for recommendations and also looked up reviews online. I interviewed my favorite two and my husband and I just loved the doctor we ended up picking. We asked things about how their practice is run, how many visits we'd have, his view on vaccines, antibiotics, breastfeeding, etc. I also asked what parenting books he would recommend. I felt like the book suggestions were the most telling on how he views child development and parenting. 

• Ask people in your community and ask them what their experiences have been. It can tell you a lot about the doctors. I also want to throw out there you can totally have a family practice doctors instead of a Pediatrician. I chose my DD's doc by her online info on the hospital and clinic website. They had video interviews of the doctors. She was even the doctor that cared for my DD after she was born. My DD has behavioral issues and this Pediatrician has more education on children with behavioral issues as well as more resources.
  • Great thread! I googled and found some interview questions online which I think I might use when I find some to interview. When I call do I just ask to set up an interview? Is that common or do some not offer interviews?
  • Honestly DH and I didn't interview, just found a practice that worked closely with my OB, my hospital, and my PCP, and then met all of the doctors in the practice while DD was going through her first check-ups. We met a few in the hospital that I loved, but (even though they had kids of their own) once they were in the room for an appointment with DD had absolutely terrible bedside manner for a child. I'd say narrow down your options now based on location or practice affiliation or whatever but don't be concerned if you don't find "the one" right now. You'll learn more from actual appointments and experience than from an interview.
  • Don't forget your insurance! There are only 3 pediatric offices in our area. When DS was born, there were only 2, and only one excepted our insurance. Thankfully it was the office that I had gone to in my teen years, and the NP who I had seen and who has similar values, is still there and that's who we see.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
      BabyFetus Ticker
  • They don't do interviews in our area. I asked some friends for recommendations and just picked one. Don't dress about it too mucn, you can always change providers if you don't feel they are a good fit!
  • One thing would be to see if they are affiliated with the hospital you will be delivering at. The nurses and doctors at the hospital will obviously check the baby out, but pediatricians often also will check on the babies once or twice while in the hospital. Also, if you are having a boy and want him circumcised the pediatrician will often only be able to do that in the hospital if they are affiliated with that hospital. Otherwise you will have to wait until after you go home and take baby boy in to the pediatrician's office.
  • Also talk to your OB about circumcisions if you care do go that way. Where I live the OB GYN tends to do them.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Anyone have specific recommendations on good questions for breastfeeding support? I plan to exclusively breast feed and I've heard so many stories about pediatricians saying they are supportive and then recommending formula suppliments at every appt. Just wondering if there is a good way to ask without them just telling you what they think you want to hear.
  • I would ask if they work with or have in the office a LC. My office worked with me until DS was two months before saying I needed to supplement. I would go to weekly appointments where the LC had me pump and BF in front of her and had me documenting everything. LC tend to want you to BF so if they work with one or have one in the office its a good sign.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Healthgrades.com had been a life saver while finding doctors for myself, so I can only imagine it'd be helpful in this situation, especially if you're having trouble finding personal recommendations.
  • The bump has recommendations on questions to ask also.
    https://www.thebump.com/a/interviewing-a-pediatrician

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• ashs88 said:

One thing would be to see if they are affiliated with the hospital you will be delivering at. The nurses and doctors at the hospital will obviously check the baby out, but pediatricians often also will check on the babies once or twice while in the hospital. Also, if you are having a boy and want him circumcised the pediatrician will often only be able to do that in the hospital if they are affiliated with that hospital. Otherwise you will have to wait until after you go home and take baby boy in to the pediatrician's office.

My pediatrician that we have been using for DS for 18 months now, and will use for DD doesn't have rights at the hospital I deliver at. Who ever the on call pediatrician is at the hospital will take care of your child, and my OB is who did DS circumcision. My ped. saw us 48 hours after discharge and then again at a week for weight checks and just to get to know us and or little guy. I did not feel like it was necessary to pick a pediatrician based on where I delivered, so if someone gets really good recommendations but won't see you at the hospital, don't rule them out.
  • My advice is to ask other parents, but your truly won't know until you have the baby and start seeing them regularly. We switched pediatricians at 6 months with DD.
    BabyFruit Ticker