February 2016 Moms

please! real quick opinion

annaleann00annaleann00 member
edited October 2015 in February 2016 Moms
I need opinionnn. Does MaKynlee Peyton Gist sound good?! Or should we go Peyton MaKynlee Gist? I want to call her by MaKynlee. I'm leaning towards MaKynlee Peyton, but I'm just not confident in how good it sounds after saying it so much.

Update: We appreciate the opinions. We've decided to go with MaKynlee Ann!

Re: please! real quick opinion

• I never heard of MaKynlee, even though I have heard of McKinley. With that said, if you are going to call her MaKynlee, it just makes sense to name her MaKynlee Peyton instead of Peyton MaKynlee. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • If you want tho call her MaKynlee, name her MaKynlee. However, if you're having second thoughts about it, you've got tons of time to go back to the drawing board.
  • I'm not a fan of the name MaKynlee personally. I've never heard of Ma- being used as a prefix for a name that's pronounced the way I'm assuming it is (I've seen Mac- and Mc-). Having said that, I agree with PP that if you're going to call her that, you should make that her first name.
  • I'm not a fan on makylnee...particularly of the spelling. I would go with Peyton
  • I like Peyton for the first name too. It will help her better in the classroom and on resumes than what looks like McKinley only misspelled.

• The baby name boards are probably just going to rip you a new one for making up your own spelling of a name... Sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• bizzerbee said:

Why not use the traditional spelling of McKinley? 

This^^ otherwise it looks super you-niqueh!
  • What's a MaKynlee? Are you sure you don't want MaKynleigh, since we're making stuff up anyway? (I'm kidding, please don't do that)

I personally don't like Peyton, but at least it's a real name.

And yes, this may seem harsh, but these are the real feelings people (likely including your daughter) will have about the name if you do that.

• First, please read at least this post:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12327146/why-name-spelling-matters

Then, check this nifty thing out- we have a whole thread here in February '16 devoted to sharing names and getting feedback.

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12589615/baby-names/p1

For the record, I agree with PPs that whatever you want to regularly call your kid should be their first name. Second, please please please spell them correctly or your daughter will face a lifetime of frustration and judgment because her name is spelled so stupidly.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • And I know it's a really 'cute' name (like Madison and Caroline, no offense to anyone named that) but I just can't imagine a 70 year old with the name MaKynlee... 

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 

• MaKynlee isn't a name. 

The non-bastardized version, McKinley, is a surname that literally means "son of the fair hero." 

I'd be going back to the drawing board, but hey, you can always post on the baby name boards with a poll. That'll give a tonne of... perspectives!

Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I know a little girl named Peyton and she is a total cutie! Love that name.
  • A bit of an anecdote regarding oddly spelled names and the frustrations that arise from it:

My oldest son's name is Conor. This is the original Gaelic spelling and is not really considered "odd." However, it is different from the common spellings of popularized version. Today, you'll see mostly Connor or Conner. My son, who is almost 19, told me the other day that he really wished I would have spelled his name the more common way as it has been extremely frustrating for him to never have people spell his name correctly. 
    I believe I will be having this problem with my son. His name is Aidan which is one of the Irish spellings, but not the common core spelling. I have so many people trying to spell his name Aiden and I always have to correct them.

To OP: I'm not a huge fan of MaKynlee Peyton, either way you put it. I think with MaKynlee, it's because of the spelling. With Peyton, I've just never been a fan of the name.
    But in the end, it is your decision.
  • We are going to be calling baby by a nickname based off middle name if it's a boy but it's based on tradition that his first name would be Stephen and all the Stephen related nicknames are taken. Long story short I'm not personally opposed to calling someone by their middle name but it will result in confusion for the child as they get older. I was with my high school boyfriend for 7 months before I found out his legal name was James- he soley goes by Derek. He said it bothered him and he was a pretty chill dude.

Since it's relevant to the Mac/Mc our middle name for baby boy Stephen will be McKeever (my maiden name) and his nick name would be Mac even though when you pronounce my maiden name it's "Mick"eever  (as in the beginning of McKinley) but if it was MaKeever (similar to what you are considering doing with MaKynlee) it would be pronounced wrong so in a way I'm doing the opposite of you. Keeping a traditional spelling but using an alternate type of pronunciation for a middle name. I assume you want to keep the traditional pronunciation but use an alternative spelling.

I think you've gotten the general sense that people like to see names spelled correctly/traditionally but I wanted to add that when I first read your post I had to stop and look at the name for about 10 seconds before I figured it out. If I was a nurse calling out a name in a waiting room after looking at it for the first time, or a teacher or a professor I would have pronounced it Maa- kine- lee.

Not sure if that made sense but it's my two cents. (another good example of why spelling and grammar are culturally important. I'm not anywhere near perfect, but clearly this is something you are putting a lot of thought into)

*Kate*

February 2016

• mcklough said:

We are going to be calling baby by a nickname based off middle name if it's a boy but it's based on tradition that his first name would be Stephen and all the Stephen related nicknames are taken. Long story short I'm not personally opposed to calling someone by their middle name but it will result in confusion for the child as they get older. I was with my high school boyfriend for 7 months before I found out his legal name was James- he soley goes by Derek. He said it bothered him and he was a pretty chill dude.

Since it's relevant to the Mac/Mc our middle name for baby boy Stephen will be McKeever (my maiden name) and his nick name would be Mac even though when you pronounce my maiden name it's "Mick"eever  (as in the beginning of McKinley) but if it was MaKeever (similar to what you are considering doing with MaKynlee) it would be pronounced wrong so in a way I'm doing the opposite of you. Keeping a traditional spelling but using an alternate type of pronunciation for a middle name. I assume you want to keep the traditional pronunciation but use an alternative spelling.

I think you've gotten the general sense that people like to see names spelled correctly/traditionally but I wanted to add that when I first read your post I had to stop and look at the name for about 10 seconds before I figured it out. If I was a nurse calling out a name in a waiting room after looking at it for the first time, or a teacher or a professor I would have pronounced it Maa- kine- lee.

Not sure if that made sense but it's my two cents. (another good example of why spelling and grammar are culturally important. I'm not anywhere near perfect, but clearly this is something you are putting a lot of thought into)

This is how I would pronounce it too. Phonetically, that's what it is.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Am I the only one that it took a few minutes to even figure out how to pronounce it?

OP: I'd go with the spelling of McKinley, personally, because she will always have to correct people's spelling and even pronouncing the name... Also, I prefer to use the first name as the first name... Just my opinion. Good luck.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Am I the only one that it took a few minutes to even figure out how to pronounce it? OP: I'd go with the spelling of McKinley, personally, because she will always have to correct people's spelling and even pronouncing the name... Also, I prefer to use the first name as the first name... Just my opinion. Good luck.
    Nope, I did the same.  I looked at it for awhile and tried to pronounce it.  Like @mcklough and @MissLilac said, I would pronounce it like Maa- kine- lee. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I like the name, but prefer the traditional spelling of McKinley.  Peyton is a cute name.  I have a friend who gave her daughter that name.
  • I agree with most of the others about the name spelling. I think the name is pretty and unique, but the spelling is kind of rough and possibly too creative. 
  • SoSiriusSoSirius member
    edited September 2015
    I do agree that it should be spelled correctly but mostly because is a name that people are familiar with and she'll be perceived as someone unintelligent because she can't spell (yes you named her but people make assumptions about the person with the incorrectly spelled name). This is relevant because that name will go on top of all of her resumes and applications. It is an added hurdle that I really doubt any child will appreciate. 

I disagree about worrying too much about how hard a name is to spell/pronunciation in general. The reason being that we've becoming more and more diverse and we will see a steady increase in uncommon REAL names. I have a very traditional Indian name and I love it. It is short and actually spelled phonetically but no one can spell it on their own and most people pronounce it incorrectly. It's actually a great ice breaker in most situations. 
  • egraves4 said:

The baby name boards are probably just going to rip you a new one for making up your own spelling of a name... Sorry.

I suggested it out of genuine compassion...maybe if she hears it from a few different groups, she'll understand that it's the general perception and not just that we're meanies!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• The baby name boards are probably just going to rip you a new one for making up your own spelling of a name... Sorry.
    I suggested it out of genuine compassion...maybe if she hears it from a few different groups, she'll understand that it's the general perception and not just that we're meanies!
    Baby Name Boards can be a scary place... haha.  But if the boy/girl showed us anything is that we have a pretty good sample of the population... What we think is a pretty good indicator of what everyone is going to think.  Too bad it's so hard for people to hear the truth (especially on here). 
    :))

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15