February 2016 Moms

Anti "girly" clothes shopping help/vent

I've searched every key word for this I can think and nothing, I'm hoping it's just coincidence and that at least one of you will understand. I HATE that everything baby girl is pink or ruffles or princess or says "diva" with some animal print. It makes me nauseas. I mean yeah one or two things would be nice And we aren't those people who are picky when it comes to free things, but I've spent HOURS searching for stores and sights that have an alternative for baby clothes. We are buying baby things one step at a time over the months and this month we are doing clothes, my question is, does ANYONE know where I can get some non-girly clothes that are made for girls? So far we have 2 outfits and it's taken all month to find them. They're unisex technically but one is a "boys" onsie. I don't want to spend $30 a onsie on etsy anymore, but I really don't want the link overload. We are already getting a ton of pink stuff my cousin had for her baby girl, be had like I said, why would you argue or be rude about free stuff?! What do I do..?

Also I'm not concerned with my family buying things like this because even if they do we are grateful of the thought but they all know how I feel about it. I don't want to see pink every time I look at my daughter. She's a child not a color and we want diversity. I have NO idea where to find it :(

Re: Anti "girly" clothes shopping help/vent

• H&M and Old Navy

• I think Ellen DeGenerous has a GAP line for girls that's anti-gender specific. I'm not sure if there are baby sizes...
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you having a baby shower? Honestly, I wouldn't buy many clothes. I got SO many clothes for my daughter. People love buying girls clothes. As far as the "girly" factor, I really haven't had the experiences you have. My daughter has plenty of clothes from Target, Carters, etc. and they aren't too frilly at all. I'm pretty minimal and not into all the fluff either, and I can always find clothes for her. Where exactly have you been looking? I agree with the Old Navy, Gap, and H&M suggestions too.

• I personally love pink on my girls. But I have found and seen cute girl outfits that are yellow, green, blue. I've seen cute onesies with sea shells or palm trees etc. Check out Walmart and target.
  • You can always get the basics at Target. Plain white onsies, etc. We also did a little shopping in the 'boys' section. We had a good laugh when we almost bought an outfit for our daughter that had a onsies saying Boys are Awesome. The hoodie and pants were so cute!
  • I'm obsessed with zara baby. There is lots that will work for boys or girls. It's ridiculously cute and some stuff is reasonably priced for sure
  • H&M

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • I hate frilly stuff too!!! You can find TONS of neutral stuff at Target!!! It's like the Mecca of all things awesome :D
  • Old navy, h&m, Nordstrom Rack, baby gap...I shop for dd in the girls and boys sections bc a lot of the boys stuff is plain and can be mixed with the girls clothes to tone down the frills. Buying separates helps a lot too.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lots of options from Carter's and Target. I'm surprised you've spent that many hours and can't find anything. I also found some cute things at Nordstrom Rack the other day. If I remember right, Old Navy has non frilly options, too.

A quick google search finds lots of options from Carter's and Gap. (I stopped looking after those two)

• I'm having a girl. I haven't really bought a lot yet, but I have picked up a few things. Nothing wrong with buying clothes geared toward boys, FYI. It's not like they will fit differently. I find a lot of boys clothes to be the most gender neutral. It's your baby. Dress her how you want, there are plenty of good shopping options on this post already. I picked these "boys" clothes up the other day. I dare my baby to challenge me on this outfit!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • well I love pink so I never have problem girl shopping but I hate all the "diva" and "princess" stuff, blech. Even though I love pink I really don't find it that hard to find toned down girls clothes too. Carters has girly stuff, but they also have lots of plain onesies, etc. Teal also seems to be pretty big this season and I'm seeing lots of that in the infant girl sections. And I did notice Babies R Us had quite a big selection of neutral sleepers when I was walking by that aisle too.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • I know of an online shop in the UK www.notpinkorblue.co.uk, started by a distant relative of mine. Also check out links on A mighty girl.
  • I also had a heart attack when I saw all the super frilly, ruffly stuff. We're having twin girls and all I heard was about how great shopping is going to be for girls. I have a 2 year old son, and his clothes are kind of boring, but at least they aren't totally ugly! Everything I've found is pink with ribbons, tulle and animal prints.....not our style at all. I know people are going to want to buy clothes for the twins, and I don't want to be an ungrateful brat but I also don't want people to spend their hard earned money on stuff we aren't going to use.

Also side note: my plan is to dress the girls in coordinating outfits (I.e. Same outfit in different colors or whatever) but not exactly matching. I'm trying to subtly put the word out, so we'll see.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • I'm having a girl and dislike pink frilly stuff too, so I've actually straight up bought onesies from the boys' section in Target.  There are tons of cute ones!  I found some tiger print stuff, a lil' explorer outfit and some adorable dinosaur stuff.  I've found some okay options in the girls' section too (a bunch of cute yellow duck print stuff) but you do have to look a bit harder.  Good luck!
  • I'm also having a girl and I hate overly girly stuff. I'm a big fan of Zara baby, for my boy for not being too cutesy and I also like their girl stuff. H &M would be good too. Also, I like mini Boden line. You can get it at Nordstrom or online.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I have two girls and don't find this to be a problem. Gap, Old Navy, Janie & Jack, Gymboree, all have a variety of girls clothes, not everything is pink and frilly and neither of my girls has ever worn animal print or anything that says diva, etc.
  • The target we have here is still segregated by colors and it's pink or white, no in between :( we already have quite a few white onsies. There's also no carters near by (FTM here so I didn't even know of half those stores at first)
    We also ordered a couple packs of the neutral colors prior to finding out the gender. I also don't shop for myself, like ever, I hate shopping. So I guess there are a lot of "adult" stores that carry a few, we wked around 3 different malls and browsed some sights and so far we have 4 onsies that aren't plain white. Thanks so much everyone!
  • g8trkim said:

Are you having a baby shower? Honestly, I wouldn't buy many clothes. I got SO many clothes for my daughter. People love buying girls clothes. As far as the "girly" factor, I really haven't had the experiences you have. My daughter has plenty of clothes from Target, Carters, etc. and they aren't too frilly at all. I'm pretty minimal and not into all the fluff either, and I can always find clothes for her. Where exactly have you been looking? I agree with the Old Navy, Gap, and H&M suggestions too.

We aren't having a shower, we don't live near any family. We were going to do an online thing just to see people, but we decided against it since most of our family doesn't have Internet. We are all the way across the country from them. We've looked through all the basic stores, target, Walmart, the NEX here, a couple of local boutiques too. Idk if it's just the area we are in or what but it's crazy! Pink everywhere.
  • Where are you shopping? My daughter's closet is full of non pink non princess clothing. To me girls clothing has a wider selection than boys. Otherwise check out primary.com.
  • I feel the same way! I completely understand being torn because part of me is soooo thankful for everyone's generosity but the other part of me just gets frustrated! In general, and I say this in the context of knowing the are much more important things to care about, I'd prefer to not put my child in anything I wouldn't wear myself (as far as colors and prints).
  • I'm totally with you. I'm loving the brand Tea right now. I'm having a boy but have perused their girl stuff and they have a lot of clothes in many different colors and styles.

• I felt that way too with DD, but we got a lot of hand me downs that were pink and obviously there is no need to spend money if you already have clothes. However, when she was an infant, if I dressed her in something non-pink (even if it had flowers or "girly" adornments), people would refer to my "little boy"!! So, I started to embrace the girly and pink. Now I like to buy clothes that are "girly" designs but not pink... Yesterday she wore pants that were gray with blue & purple flowers with a blue shirt (with a few frills) from Target. That has become my personal middle ground to this dilemma. I also do buy her boys clothes now that she is older and clearly a girl... I hate how they do not have any sport themed clothes for girls (or they are all pink!), so I buy these items from the boy sections and put a clip in her hair.
  • Also, nothing wrong with using "boys" clothes for girls, especially before they start dictating how they want to be dressed. I plan to use all of my first boy's newborn through 6 months clothes for this girl, and I plan to selectively use clothes of his from 6 months and up for her. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I like carters, target and baby Gap.
  • I have a strict no writing policy on my kid's clothes, none of this "Daddy's little slugger" nonsense.  I have found that it's especially difficult to find clothes, especially in the infant sizes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You could always just get a pack of solid colored onesies and do iron-ons. I'm planning on making some book nerd related onesies using my silhouette but you could do the print and iron on if you don't have a machine like that.

We're having a boy but before we found out I was on the search for girl clothes that didn't look like pepto was poured on everything. I did plan on doing something like this cute TMNT onesie I saw at Target and pair it with a tulle skirt. My cousin did stuff like this with her little girl and I loved it.
  • I haven't read all the replies but I've seen lots and lots of unisex baby clothing for sale on our local facebook buy, sell, trade sites - not sure if you have FB or are part of any local groups but you also can usually score tons of clothes for a bundle price, cheap. 

We discussed this issue before finding out the sex, we are also having a girl and my H is not thrilled about tons of pink either, so I've picked up more gender neutral clothing and a few boy pieces that don't specifically say "handsome" "little man" for example, nothing wrong with putting opposite sex children in clothing for either sex, they have no idea anyway!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CKW1984 said:

I have a strict no writing policy on my kid's clothes, none of this "Daddy's little slugger" nonsense.  I have found that it's especially difficult to find clothes, especially in the infant sizes. 

Lots of options out there. Solid onesies in carters brand everywhere
  • Do they have a Once Upon a Child store in your area? They have huge selections and the prices are really good. I found a lot of clothes that were clearly not used or barely used. This past summer when I was home I went to one in Wisconsin and ended up buying a lot more from the boys section since I am waiting to find out and it was easier to find neutral stuff in that section. I got some really cute stuff. 
  • ashcody2 said:

I haven't read all the replies but I've seen lots and lots of unisex baby clothing for sale on our local facebook buy, sell, trade sites - not sure if you have FB or are part of any local groups but you also can usually score tons of clothes for a bundle price, cheap. 

We discussed this issue before finding out the sex, we are also having a girl and my H is not thrilled about tons of pink either, so I've picked up more gender neutral clothing and a few boy pieces that don't specifically say "handsome" "little man" for example, nothing wrong with putting opposite sex children in clothing for either sex, they have no idea anyway!
    I have never even heard of a group like that on FB, can you tell me more?
  • You could always just get a pack of solid colored onesies and do iron-ons. I'm planning on making some book nerd related onesies using my silhouette but you could do the print and iron on if you don't have a machine like that.

We're having a boy but before we found out I was on the search for girl clothes that didn't look like pepto was poured on everything. I did plan on doing something like this cute TMNT onesie I saw at Target and pair it with a tulle skirt. My cousin did stuff like this with her little girl and I loved it.
    We have some white ones that I decorated, my favorite of all is one I made saying "one does not simply crawl into Mordor"
    I don't want to only have plain clothes modified by us though, I'm wondering if it's just the area im in or something. When I shopped online at target it used my local store and even online we couldn't order what ours didn't have. I'm going to see if I can switch the location or something and change that. We have a lot of blue stuff right now, mostly because that's my favorite color and I'm the one who looks at it!
  • I haven't read all the replies but I've seen lots and lots of unisex baby clothing for sale on our local facebook buy, sell, trade sites - not sure if you have FB or are part of any local groups but you also can usually score tons of clothes for a bundle price, cheap. 

I have never even heard of a group like that on FB, can you tell me more?
    In your search bar on facebook, search names such as the name of your city buy, sell, trade or baby items for sale - you could probably google it too and they might pull a bunch of local for sale sites for you. I am in at least 5 different groups on FB and have bought and sold tons of items (not only baby related) on them! I plan on buying a used crib, used swing, + all of our baby clothes since they grow so fast and I won't be having a baby shower being as this is our second child.
  • It's very similar to Craigslist but you can see who you are dealing with and in my experience less likely to be stood up vs. CL since you can usually report no shows to the admin of the group, I'm hoping this all makes sense, kind of hard for me to explain!
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited September 2015
    Carter's has free shipping and 25% off online right now (or at least they did last night).

I'm still really surprised people are having so much trouble. I have boxes full of non-frilly, non-pink clothes from DD and I didn't have to go out of my way to find them.

(I see you said you checked at Walmart.. I haven't been in one in a couple years, but I hated their clothes when I was. Online shopping is your friend!)

• pbtoast said:

I'm totally with you. I'm loving the brand Tea right now. I'm having a boy but have perused their girl stuff and they have a lot of clothes in many different colors and styles.

I love The Tea Collection for my DD. They come out with a new line every season that's inspired by a different country. Also Gap, Target. Jeggings are the cutest on baby girls and are very gender neutral. Basically all the pink in DDs closet was bought by MIL or Great Grandma.
  • baya5 said:

I'm totally with you. I'm loving the brand Tea right now. I'm having a boy but have perused their girl stuff and they have a lot of clothes in many different colors and styles.

I love The Tea Collection for my DD. They come out with a new line every season that's inspired by a different country. Also Gap, Target. Jeggings are the cutest on baby girls and are very gender neutral. Basically all the pink in DDs closet was bought by MIL or Great Grandma.
    This sounds awesome, totally checking it out!