September 2015 Moms
Options

No breast feeding support

Anyone else feel like no one is on their side when it comes to breast feeding? I'm a single mom, and yesterday my mom made a bottle of formula for my DD, bc she said she seemed too hungry. Now, she has surpassed her birth weight and gaining well, so I know this is not the case. I feed on demand and she seems to think that means she isn't getting enough. Today I took her to the ped because she was screaming terribly and I thought maybe she had reflux. Ped said it was severe gas and recommended I stop BF and give her formula. Rather than say cut dairy out or watch intake or such and such he just handed me a sample of a super expensive formula and said try this. What the?? Breast feeding is hard enough without feeling like I have no support. I plan on going to a LLL meeting, just to be around pro-BF mamas, but the next one isn't until the second weekend of oct. I really don't want to switch to formula, I just don't feel it's what's best for my dd, but it's hard when everyone I look to for support is basically telling me I'm failing my daughter :(

Re: No breast feeding support

• Options
    I can't relate because I have pretty good support, but I wanted to let you know I'm really sorry you're feeling pressured to quit. It doesn't sound to me like you're failing your daughter at all! I hope you can manage to ignore them and keep doing what you feel is best. good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is really tough. Breastfeeding is so hard even with a lot of support so I cant imagine how you must feel. I would definitely reach out to other breastfeeding moms you know and try to find some support before the LLL meeting in October. Does your hospital offer any breastfeeding resources? Ours has a support group that was tremendously helpful for me with my first. Not sure how your pediatrician feels about gas drops but they did help my DS quite a bit. From maybe weeks 2-5 he was pretty gassy. We would do belly massage and bicycle legs with diaper changes and supervised tummy time. Placing him belly down on the boppy was a favorite position and rolling his belly accross the knees helped too. Sounds like your little one is thriving is every other way. Good job momma! Hope the gas gets better soon.
  • Options
    I'm shocked your ped immediately recommended switching to formula! All of the doctors and nurses we've encountered have been very pro-breastfeeding. When we told our ped our little guy is pretty gassy, she showed us a few exercises we could do with him (the bicycle, etc.), talked about making sure we burped him every time we fed him, etc. Babies are gassy when they're little and their digestive systems are still working themselves out ... it's normal! If you don't feel like your ped is supporting you in your decisions I would consider finding a new one who will!

As for your mom, I would have been furious! Hide the formula and don't give her access. Tell her you're exclusively breastfeeding and that baby is gaining weight and is doing just fine. I'm sure she means well, but she has no right to decide what your baby is eating.

(I'm exclusively breastfeeding or feeding bottles of pumped milk. Good for you for sticking with it despite others; breastfeeding is hard work and it's even harder when you don't have support!)
  • Options
    You have us as support! A LLL meeting really will help. The ladies are amazing and mine has a few midwives. You are doing great so keep it up.
  • Options
    I have been feeling the same exact way it's rough without support. Me and this little girl are having troubles breast feeding and she screams when I try to get her latched. All my husband can say to my little girl is "look your mom is being stubborn again" when I try to breast feed her :( . He just gives her formula when that happens and it makes me feel like I'm failing
  • Options
    Wow, I'm so sorry for you all who are not getting the support you need. Maybe try explaining to these people (mother, husband, etc) that BF is a process and a relationship that builds as you go and being undermined while you are trying to work out this process is not helpful, even if they think it is, but just the opposite. Make sure they know that it's important for you and the best thing for your baby, and as long as they are getting enough to eat, which it sounds like they are, you are all they need and the only way for things to get better is if you continue to feed them. No formula ever, if that's what you want, the end.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, I would be livid with my mother and sad too. I hope you sit down with your mom and let her know how you feel. I also recommend switching to a more supportive pediatrician...if he did that because of gas? Ugh.

I am so sorry you are dealing with all that, La Leche is a wonderful support group and I hope you find some solidarity with fellow moms.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. It means a lot reading encouraging words. Poor dd is still very gassy and upset. I've done a lot of research and have read a lot that other than milk and peanut proteins, generally what mom eats has little to no affect on LO. I'm going to try cutting out dairy and see how she does. But I'm determined to keep BF. Again, thank you all for the support. It's nice to know I have some place to turn to!
  • Options
    If you have facebook, join Expressions Lactation Services . It's a private breastfeeding group that I found very very supportive and full of information from countless breastfeeding moms and LC's.

The struggle is real, and even harder without support. Also, See if your local hospital has a lactation support group. Mine offers one every Thursday, which was helpful to be around other bf moms plus ask questions from the LC.

Good luck with your breastfeeding journey!