2nd Trimester

Sweets?!?! Am I the only one?

Ok before I got pregnant I was a super health conscious person that hardly ate white flour or sugar.

Now that I'm pregnant I've turned into my evil eating twin .... I literally want to eat something sweet every single day!!!! Hence I indulge myself on a dessert daily. I have felt paranoid about this especially since some doctors suggest cutting out sugar altogether. My only consultation is the fact that I passed my glucose test.

Am I the only one?

Re: Sweets?!?! Am I the only one?

• Before I was pregnant I never craved or even ate sweets at all. I am a salt snacker. But now, I can not get enough sugary items daily. Everyone thought the baby had to be a girl. That myth was busted. Lol. I have my glucose test next month, but I'm sure it will be fine.
  • Yes, you are the only one that is craving sweets....

Lol, no.  I think a lot of people are, myself included.  I wasn't aware that some doctors were suggesting cutting out sugar altogether?  Does that include sugar in fruit?  I seriously wouldn't worry about it unless you are actually having a medical problem because of your indulgences....

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Loading the player...
  • At the beginning I was craving more salty foods so I thought it was a boy (I have my anatomy scan next week) but the past few weeks I have been all about the sweets. I have always been a sweet eater but now it's all I want, if I could eat sugar, candies, donuts ice cream, cookies, etc all day I would!! I'm trying not to eat it all since eventually I want my sugar levels to be super high and I develop diabetes or something.

I think if you indulge in sweets but also make sure you eat healthy, you will be fine. I was told, eat what I'm supposed to and if I have a craving then go for it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • talinanitalinani member
    edited September 2015
    Yeah I've been told that too ..... just to eat what I'm craving also and I have been good about taking my prenatals!
  • I'm right there with you. I crave sweets every single day. It's insane. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with some cavities by the time this baby is born. :-) 
  • I was a lot like you before being pregnant -- health conscious especially as far as avoiding simple carbs!! Now I'm going crazy with the sweets on basically a daily basis -- cookies, cake, pudding, doughnuts, you name it! It makes me feel guilty because these things offer no nutritional value :(
  • I am ALL ABOUT the ice cream and chocolate right now. If it has sugar, I want it in my mouth. I haven't had my glucose test yet (probably in next 2 weeks) and I'm a little nervous about it since I also was much more careful about the sweets before pregnancy.

Me (38) & DH (48).  Married since 5/5/13, TTC since then!

MFI - low counts, low motility

IUI #1:  6/28/14

• Cutting out sugar altogether is unhealthy.
    I've mostly been averse to sweets, but I've got potato cravings, Wonder bread PBJ cravings, and I'm sucking on preggie pops, which have sugar in them. Also, I may or may not have discovered Reeses Blasts ice cream by Breyers last night... omgpeanutbutter
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I'm the same. I cut out sugar and flour to try to get pregnant (it helps with PCOS) and was craving salty all pregnancy until a few weeks ago. I just ate a whole pack of licorice all sorts and my bub is going nuts!
  • I'd be snarky, but I started baking brownies at 10am today. I've always had a sweet tooth, but pregnancy seems to have turned off the part of my brain that regulates self control. At this point I'm just trying to be mindful that I'm eating real portion sizes and not what I think my portion size should be.
  • Ok this makes me feel so much better. Been craving sweet things like crazy. Ice cream, gummy bears, chocolate etc. It's awful because I avoided it before my BFP.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oooh girl I'm all about those brownies!!
  • Pre pregnancy I could care less about sweets but good god, now I crave them ALL the time. There is a 24 hour French bakery near my house with the best macaroons, blessing and a curse
  • Came home today and ate about 4 handfuls of jelly beans.... Yep no self control here...
  • talinanitalinani member
    edited September 2015
    So a whole foods just opened up less than five minutes from my house and my sweet husband bought a bunch of healthier dessert options so now I don't feel as bad ... LOL
  • Last night we went out to a new area to try a different restaurant. They had brochures in the waiting area and one was for a chocolate factory. I was so excited haha. We wasted time in the waiting area after dinner looking at crap they sell there and my
    Husband sat in the car texting for another 5 minutes before we started to drive to the chocolate factory. I looked at the brochure one more time and realized the placed closed 2 minutes ago. I threw the brochure at my husband and got angry. :0

1. Just confirming the obsession with sweets... The struggle is real haha. And 2. I still can't believe I threw the paper at my husband because the place wasn't open hahah.
  • Like right now...I want a blueberry scone or a brownie.  I don't have any baked goods in my house, and I have no ambition to drive to the store. Hoping to scrounge enough milk to make some chocolate pudding.  
  • @hansonec that was a great story!! I love it! Wanting something sweet and not getting it can bring out the the "hangry" in us all!
  • @desertheart your name should read "dessertheart" lol sorry couldn't help myself. You know you want that sweet when your scrounging in your kitchen to make anything dessert like lol
  • Yup just you. Pregnant women like sweets? Nah never.

Meanwhile:

Katie is my girl and my look alike except I'm blonde or at least I've been told by many. But after this baby I hope I'm not Katie's fat twin ha haha lol
  • talinani said:
    @desertheart your name should read "dessertheart" lol sorry couldn't help myself. You know you want that sweet when your scrounging in your kitchen to make anything dessert like lol
    Haha.  I ate ALL the sweets up in our house tonight!
  • My sweet tooth has been out of control!!!
  • Two words: candy corn :D
    Cannot control myself!
  • Now that Halloween candy is out, it is so hard not to be tempted. I love Halloween candy, especially Reese's, Snickers, Twix, Tootsie Rolls and Candy Corn/Pumpkins.
    Pregnancy Ticker