January 2016 Moms

I just got shamed for having a bump and participating in Pink Out.

Yeah, so this. 
I participated in a Pink Out for Planned Parenthood event, and a stranger came and shamed me for doing so while pregnant.
Um...apparently I can't support PP while pregnant?
Is it considered a conflict of interest?
Until my "grown-up job" came along 4 years ago, they were the only option for any reproductive care. The care they provided then gave me a good foundation for carrying my baby now.

I don't even know where I'm going with this. I guess I'm a little dumbfounded.
(Side note: Just because I support PP does not mean that I support abortion.)

Re: I just got shamed for having a bump and participating in Pink Out.

• Loading the player...
  • Yikes, well that is super weird but don't let it get you down!  :)

Also, in case you PP supporters didn't know, Planned Parenthood is matching all donations today in honor of Pink Out!

• Everyone seems to need something to be outraged about these days. You were nice enough to be that something for a stranger. It's nearly impossible to do anything meaningful without offending or outraging someone so I'm glad you don't seem particularly bothered by it.
  • Just to offer a differing viewpoint, in my opinion, because I believe abortion is murder, I don't think the fact that they provide so many other services (which I agree are much needed and wonderful) is enough for me to overlook what else they are doing and support them. That said, I agree that it is ridiculous that you would be singled out for participating just because you are pregnant.
    QFP
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • ntyravgspntyravgsp member
    edited September 2015

Just to offer a differing viewpoint, in my opinion, because I believe abortion is murder, I don't think the fact that they provide so many other services (which I agree are much needed and wonderful) is enough for me to overlook what else they are doing and support them. That said, I agree that it is ridiculous that you would be singled out for participating just because you are pregnant.

We didn't really need to turn this thread into a pro-choice vs pro-life debate. That wasn't OP's intent, nor anyone else's.

OP, I am sorry you had to deal with that person too. Eta posted before I was finished typing.
  • Yeah, so this. 
    I participated in a Pink Out for Planned Parenthood event, and a stranger came and shamed me for doing so while pregnant.
    Um...apparently I can't support PP while pregnant?
    Is it considered a conflict of interest?
    Until my "grown-up job" came along 4 years ago, they were the only option for any reproductive care. The care they provided then gave me a good foundation for carrying my baby now.

I don't even know where I'm going with this. I guess I'm a little dumbfounded.
    (Side note: Just because I support PP does not mean that I support abortion.)

I totally agree with you! I accessed services through PP all throughout my 20s because I couldn't afford health insurance. My thoughts on abortion have nothing to do with the excellent care they provide to women and men who have no where else to go. Abortion is something to discuss somewhere else. All I know is I believe PP is doing a great job providing the care they do. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that nonsense.

1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

Due date 1/16/16 with our twins!
  • @ntyravgsp sorry, was not my intent to turn this into a pro-life debate only to respond to the point that people don't realize PP offers services other than abortion, because I think a lot of people do realize that PP offers many other important services but feel so strongly about abortion that they are still very much against the organization. I realize that is certainly not everyone else's view.
  • ntyravgspntyravgsp member
    edited September 2015
    @stephanienjer glad you were able to handle the harassment gracefully & keep your cool. Not a lot of people can when they're being confronted like that. :)

@ChrissyD1203 I understand your point; and I think a lot of people jump to the conclusion that a woman seeking the services of Planned Parenthood wants an abortion. Honestly I think of the birth control and education aspect, because that has mainly been my exposure to it. It just depends on your perspective, no hard feelings.

Eta words
  • @AlabamaWorley I'm delivering at a Catholic hospital that does not, but I agree with your point.
  • Just to offer a differing viewpoint, in my opinion, because I believe abortion is murder, I don't think the fact that they provide so many other services (which I agree are much needed and wonderful) is enough for me to overlook what else they are doing and support them. That said, I agree that it is ridiculous that you would be singled out for participating just because you are pregnant.

Agree... Its stupid for someone to go out of there way to let you know she thought you were in the wrong. I agree though that while your supporting them for there additional services you are also over looking that 86% of what they do is abortions.
    You can't hate on Chrissy for pointing this out cause just like every other post, dont post about something unless you can deal with people's opposing views.
  • I'm sorry --- didn't mean for this to get out of hand -- to try and smooth things over, I think statistics on this stuff is measured in different ways - abortions as a % of all PP services performed VS abortions as a % of all PP PREGNANCY services performed vs % of abortions performed at a PP vs anywhere else.

Again - I apologize for making this into a debate. Obviously a very sensitive issue with many viewpoints.
  • What a jerk!! An uneducated jerk ..... what I'd you were using PP for prenatal care?? It's none of that ladies business AND even if she was severely against abortion and didn't like PP because they provide that service....obviously you weren't there for that! I can't believe that many people are so uneducated about the services that PP provide to a community.

Sorry you had to deal with that!
  • I don't think you should be shamed for anything that you believe. However, I do think we can have access to health care without killing babies. And I do think that if you support an organization that performs abortions, you are supporting abortion.
  • kodariahkodariah member
    edited September 2015
    @kodariah Not sure where you got your statistics. I'd be interested to see your source. 
    Through numerous sources, I have found the statistic that it is more like 3%. 
    I do find on their own site that 80% of their services are pregnancy prevention, not abortion.

A few other stats (and these are the ones I find over and over, not just on extreme sites): 
    80% of all services are basic preventive birth control (Pill, shot, ring, etc.,) which prevent 516,000 pregnancies a year.
    PP administers 400,000 Pap tests and 500,000 breast exams every year, critical to cancer prevention.
    PP provides 4.5 million (million!) STI tests and treatments every year, include 700,000 for HIV.
    PP provides outreach and education to 1.5 million teens and adults every year.
    Abortions make up 3% of all services provided by PP each year.
    Wow, the only reason I threw a number out was because it was the number stated by Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards today on capital hill. I just got done reading about it when I posted so that's why I used a specific number. And I'm really not getting political, I was just agreeing with a PP because I thought people weren't necessarily be nice about it and I didn't see anything wrong with her point of view. The funny thing is I don't not support PP because I am a radical against abortions, I could care less what women do with there bodies, to each your own. 
    I am sorry that you got shamed, like I said, it wasn't necessary and your have every right to be taken back by it. I think it's cool you were supporting something you believe in weather I agree or disagree with it or not, it's cool you got involved.
     I'm done with this post now though cause I really don't care that much and by throwing out a number I didn't think I would start a political debate, haha :)
  • @kodariah  Whether or not you intended to start a debate, that 80% number you threw out there was insane.  Not sure where you heard it, but here's an article on Cecile Richards' testimony on Capitol Hill - she says, again, as previous posters have said, 3%.  Furthermore, the person who disagreed with her math and countered with a different number suggested, at absolute highest, 12%.  Again, nothing remotely in the ballpark of 80%, which is absurd.

The article on the testimony today which backs up the numbers: https://www.newsweek.com/planned-parenthood-ceo-testifies-hearing-abortion-378112

That said, like many other Planned Parenthood supporters, regardless of the percentage, I support access for all women to full, comprehensive health care, including abortion.  And to echo PP - if you're interested in reducing the number of abortions, hopefully one day to zero or near it, the best way to do that is through excellent sex ed and access to contraception for all women. 

Furthermore, even if you think abortion is baby murder, please understand that if abortion were made illegal or access to abortion services denied, abortions would not stop - they would simply be dangerous and result in the unnecessary death of more women.  My grandmother saw a family member die on her kitchen table due to a botched abortion.  There will always be women and girls desperate enough to risk their life if they have to (especially victims of incest/rape) and I would hope we wouldn't revert back to a world when that kind of risk was necessary any time soon.

this. exactly this. well said. 
  • ntyravgsp said:

I don't think you should be shamed for anything that you believe. However, I do think we can have access to health care without killing babies. And I do think that if you support an organization that performs abortions, you are supporting abortion.

Do you even realize how self-contradictory your statement is? [-(
    No I really don't.
  • Good for you for supporting such an important cause. I don't care if you are pro-choice or pro-life, what everyone should be is pro- access to healthcare. I used PP in high school and college to have access to regular paps and birth control, I never once thought about having an abortion but I didn't need to BECAUSE OF PP!! They gave me access to free contraceptives, eliminating my need to maybe make a terrible decision. If you really feel like defunding PP you should probably stop going to doctors and hospitals that offer abortions too, because after all aren't you funding them too?
  • I don't think you should be shamed for anything that you believe. However, I do think we can have access to health care without killing babies. And I do think that if you support an organization that performs abortions, you are supporting abortion.

Doctors and hospitals perform abortions as well it's not just PP so your statement makes no sense.

There are better ways to communicate your viewpoint and supporting or not supporting abortion is not an argument that is appropriate on a pregnancy board.

Doctors and hospitals perform abortions as well it's not just PP so your statement makes no sense.

There are better ways to communicate your viewpoint and supporting or not supporting abortion is not an argument that is appropriate on a pregnancy board.
    Just to clarify, and so @katiedid0907 isn't completely bashed here--- there are tons of doctors and hospitals that do not perform abortions (particularly private ones that do not take federal funds). So, I think what she said is true in that it is possible to get women's healthcare services without supporting a provider that also performs abortions. In more rural areas, a lot of providers don't offer abortions, not based on their philosophies, but instead based on their lack of resources to provide them.