Babies on the Brain

Exercise & TTC

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on this. So first a little background, I used to exercise a little mostly Zumba a couple time a week and some Yoga. We just started TTC this month but I have noticed I let my exercise trail off to nothing. I know exercise is important when TTC to make sure you are healthy so that is why I want to get back into it.

Basically I want to know what you guys do for exercise while you are still TTC. I have read a few places you should avoid core exercises while TTC but I am not sure how reliable that advice is? I would also love it if some non-exercise people like myself can recommend something good to start getting in shape and maintaining weight.

Thank you all in advance! :)
Married: June 2011
TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
TTCAL: June 2016
BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Exercise & TTC

• I plan on continuing running. I am training to do a half marathon on Halloween and the next month we will TTC. I plan on doing a maintenance regimen of  4 runs( 3m, 4m, 3m and 6m) and one day of yoga and one day of hiking/walking. So that way I can have an active rest day. I plan on trying to run while pregnant. I believe it will help me with labor. I also do not believe it will ruin my chances of TTC. I want to be able to run after birth, so if/when I stop running I plan on replacing it will walking those distances.
  • Katm89 said:
    I plan on continuing running. I am training to do a half marathon on Halloween and the next month we will TTC. I plan on doing a maintenance regimen of  4 runs( 3m, 4m, 3m and 6m) and one day of yoga and one day of hiking/walking. So that way I can have an active rest day. I plan on trying to run while pregnant. I believe it will help me with labor. I also do not believe it will ruin my chances of TTC. I want to be able to run after birth, so if/when I stop running I plan on replacing it will walking those distances.
    Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it! I wish I could run, I do not have the urge or the stamina...even though running would help that! I wonder if it is too late to give running a shot! It just seems like such a good work out. My problem is I have 0% follow through when it comes to exercise!
  • Loading the player...
  • You can run if you want to. The biggest mistake is going out and running and killing yourself. You need to listen to your body. There is a couch to 5k plan on the internet that is great in helping increase distance. I had zero % follow through a yr ago.. now I run every week and cry if I can't get my run in. I ran on the first day of my period last week with a pounding headache because I knew there was no way I could relax and watch tv without the guilt of skipping out on a run. I think if you were pregnant right now it'd be bad to start running.. but you're not pregnant yet.. and you can get to a 2 mile distance fairly quickly and you can just maintain that. You could do 4 runs a week. ( 2m, 2m, 1m, 2.5m) and atleast its something! If you feel good and you've been doing that a while you can increase distance. 1 mile will take 15 minutes.( my runs I average about 12 mins)

• Katm89 said:

I plan on continuing running. I am training to do a half marathon on Halloween and the next month we will TTC. I plan on doing a maintenance regimen of  4 runs( 3m, 4m, 3m and 6m) and one day of yoga and one day of hiking/walking. So that way I can have an active rest day. I plan on trying to run while pregnant. I believe it will help me with labor. I also do not believe it will ruin my chances of TTC. I want to be able to run after birth, so if/when I stop running I plan on replacing it will walking those distances.

All of this! I love running, but think it's important to allow yourself to run slowly. Most people burn out or injure themselves by going too far, too fast, too quick. You should be able to hold a conversation while running. My half is this weekend and I'm pumped, though it looks like it will be stormy. I've also done Zumba in the past and loved it. I'm not aware of any restrictions on excercise while TTC unless you have very low body weight or something. I believe the core excercise restrictions are for once you are PG.

• Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it! I wish I could run, I do not have the urge or the stamina...even though running would help that! I wonder if it is too late to give running a shot! It just seems like such a good work out. My problem is I have 0% follow through when it comes to exercise!
    Starting small and recruiting a buddy (like your DH) can make running possible and fun! For an easy start, begin with a 2-3 mile walk. If you know you can do that comfortably adjust it a little. For instance: after the first 5 min of your walk, jog two blocks and then walk again until your breath normalizes. Then jog another two blocks. Repeat this until you are 5 min from the end of your walk, then stop the jogging so you can cool down. Do these 2-3 times per week. Then you can slowly increase the amount of time spent running until you can do it based on time. Many people complete half or full marathons without leaving the walk/run or run/walk stage. You don't have to ever graduate to continuous running if you aren't comfortable with it. A common walk/run pattern is walk 5 min run 2 min and repeat until you've done your distance (or time) for the day. A common pattern for run walk is warm up walk for 5 min then run 7 min walk 1-2 min. Every little bit increases your strength and stamina and having your DH along holds you accountable. Plus you can both get in shape at the same time!

If this still isn't appealing, you can find other options. There's always hiking, biking, Zumba, etc. Anything you do is better than nothing! I have only heard to avoid core workouts once you are starting to have a real bump, as this can overstress your already stretched out abdominal muscles and lead to separation of them during pregnancy. Core workouts while TTC shouldn't be a problem at all. In fact, getting your core strong NOW can help it do a better job (and not separate) during pregnancy.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thank you all for your input! I really do appreciate it! We also used to do biking as well, can probably bring those out again! I know DH wants to start getting back in shape as well.

Now for motivation, how do you guys get yourselves motivated? I am not a morning person so I don't think a morning work out would be a good fit, but on the other hand the couch just looks too appealing after work all day! I would also like to note my job is a desk job, so not much movement going on all day, mostly sitting on my butt at a computer! Just some motivation tips would be appreciated as well.

Thank you all for helping with my TTC and exercise fears too! I am always afraid I will do something wrong while TTC! I know it sounds silly but I can't help it!
  • For motivation I watch other people who inspire me.
    like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjqYut-pyDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-tPO6ldvo

I also work at a desk and I have an hour of traffic before I get home. I sit and relax for a half hour ( with workout clothes on) and drink a cup of coffee and/or eat a peanut butter sandwich.

• I'm not a morning person either but I find it is easier to get it out of the way in the morning - there are always more excuses not to go out and run after work, whether it's errands, dinner plans, or whatever. Sleeping in my running clothes definitely helped in the beginning. I don't have to do that anymore as it does get easier with time and you make a habit of it. I also got into running by starting with the Couch to 5K program a few years ago. Good luck! 

• Thank you all for your input! I really do appreciate it! We also used to do biking as well, can probably bring those out again! I know DH wants to start getting back in shape as well.

Now for motivation, how do you guys get yourselves motivated? I am not a morning person so I don't think a morning work out would be a good fit, but on the other hand the couch just looks too appealing after work all day! I would also like to note my job is a desk job, so not much movement going on all day, mostly sitting on my butt at a computer! Just some motivation tips would be appreciated as well.

Thank you all for helping with my TTC and exercise fears too! I am always afraid I will do something wrong while TTC! I know it sounds silly but I can't help it!
    Honestly? I register for moderately expensive road races in the medium-distant future. I know I'll be so annoyed if I waste the money that it forces me to train.