April 2016 Moms
Options

NBR: Need to Vent

When I was pregnant with DD, DH's job decided to move us halfway across the country, so we rented our house out to a very nice family, with the option to buy at anytime during the three years.  Well the three year lease was up August 1st, and they informed us they did not have the finance to purchase the house, but were still interested and asked that we extend their lease.  We agreed but told them it would only be six months and we couldn't extend a second time. 

DH, DD and I live in a two bedroom 900 sq ft house which works for the three of us, but I'm not sure how it is going to work once we start sleep training LO2 around 5-6 months.  So we talked to our renters late August and they said they had started looking at loans for our house, and wanted to purchase by the end of the year but were having some difficulty because their daughter has some development issues and receiving a lot of care.  Great.  Flash forward to yesterday, when our renter calls to tell us they will be moving out by January 1, stating that they are looking at better private schools for their daughter and the best one for her needs is over an hour away.  I understand this, and don't fault them, but why couldn't they have just been honest with us a month ago?  They also told us they have looked at and purchased a house in that area, and will close the end of November, and intend to move out mid December, but will be paying utilities and rent through the month.

So now we are starting the process of putting our house up on the market.  DH started his own business two years ago, so in planning for this LO we tightened our budget, as the winter months are slower for him.  We are working with the same realtor that sold us the house, and she is working very hard for us already, by going to visit the house this afternoon, and hoping to have it listed by Friday.  I am hopeful that we can sell the house quickly, it is in a great neighborhood, close to the community pool and park, which is a huge draw.  I am just nervous if it doesn't sell before then, since the market has cooled down for the year out there, that we might not be selling until next Spring.  DH told me I should just let it go, when I told him I was frustrated that our renters couldn't be up front with us a month ago. 

Sorry, pregnant lady vent over.

Re: NBR: Need to Vent

• Options
    Wow. I don't even know what to say is that I'm really sorry this is happening. It sucks that they weren't honest with you about their intentions. I hope they kept the house in good condition, at least, so you won't have to hire out to have work done on it before showing it. Good luck - hope you get it sold quickly!
  • Options
    I agree they shouldve given you a heads up that they may move. Buying and selling homes are so stressful!
    Sending you good vibes for your house to sell quickly!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you. It's a 1960s model home that we and the renters updated. It's the largest model in our community and there had been a waiting list in the past to purchase that model. I am hopeful this still exists, it did when we bought six years ago. My bday is in the end of Oct and the best gift would be to have it sold by then.
  • Options
    Hoping & praying your house gets sold quick for you and your family! Keep your head up. Good things will come!