February 2016 Moms

Is anyone producing colostrum already?

Hi guys!! This is my first pregnancy, we're expecting a girl

Re: Is anyone producing colostrum already?

• I am not, however, I do have a close friend who did start producing colostrum around 24 weeks. She panicked but her Dr said it was normal.
  • Yeah! I started producing it today. 21weeks pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • I started producing it at 18weeks... It's different with every expecting mother
  • Yes, But unfortunately I have blood too. So I am off to the doctors.
  • I am, I checked a couple of weeks ago and I was. I was around 18-19 weeks. My breasts feel fuller since around that time.

• Nope just regular milk which surprises me because even though I'm still nursing a kid I figured it would change by now.
  • I am! FTM and it started being noticeable at 17 weeks, which really surprised me! But totally normal :)
  • I am not, but as PP have stated, it's totally normal! Nothing to freak out over. Your body is just doing it's thing. :)
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have always started leaking kind of early. I assume it's because I have a larger chest to begin with. I've definitely been leaking this time around already. Like others have said it's totally normal! Isn't it crazy how our bodies prepare?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have actually dried up completely. When we got pregnant, it had been almost two years since I quit BFing but I could still squeeze some milk out if I tried. I can't anymore though I expected the colostrum to come sooner rather than later.

• Yes I'm glad others are experiencing this! I'm pregnant w 1st baby and was a little surprised by the leaking. Happened around 21w I noticed a couple little wet spots on my shirt and thought I dripped something on it. Then a few days ago saw it actually on the nips!
  • Wow cool.  Is it enough to save? I would totally be busting out my milkies milk saver from my last breastfeeding experience and freezing that liquid gold.
  • I am and just noticed. Thank goodness I'm not the only one. This is my first child, and it totally freaked me out until I saw this thread.
  • I'm still bfing my youngest and still producing milk! No colostrum for us yet.
  • nbc2015nbc2015 member
    edited October 2015
    I'm a FTM, and this is the first I've read about producing/leaking so early. I'll be 19 weeks on Friday. How much leaking is it??? Enough to show through your bra/shirt? I teach, so I am terrified of leaking while in front of my class. Do I need to buy and wear those nipple pad things? Help!
  • My husband, after I explained what colostrum was and that mine was in at 19 weeks:
  • I've been leaking a few times a week since week 13. Doctor said it's fine when I asked about it. I use nursing pads and lanolin. It dries and gets itchy so the lotion helps.
  • nbc2015 said:

I'm a FTM, and this is the first I've read about producing/leaking so early. I'll be 19 weeks on Friday. How much leaking is it??? Enough to show through your bra/shirt? I teach, so I am terrified of leaking while in front of my class. Do I need to buy and wear those nipple pad things? Help!

It varies from woman to woman. I never leaked during my first two pregnancies. I don't even leak now while bfing my youngest. I know women who barely leaked, and some who did need to wear nursing pads because they leaked so much.
  • I've started leaking too... I'm 22 weeks. At first I thought it was just water or something that splashed right at my nipple lol. By the third time it happened I realized what it is. I don't wear a bra at home so if does show through my shirt.

My nipples have become very sensitive again too.
  • lubaTOlubaTO member
    edited October 2015
    For me it's very little for now and it only shows if I'm not wearing a bra. It was just a drop a couple of times. It's pretty freaky to see @nbc2015
  • nbc2015 said:
    I haven't needed those pads at all. Mine mainly leak when stimulated . . . hubby is a little ticked off about it lol! Usually it's just a few drops that form, so not enough to show through anything unless I wasn't wearing a bra. We just have to be careful when getting frisky now because we discovered that I was leaking because of that . . . it was pretty awkward and hilarious.
  • Thanks for the responses, all. This is...slightly terrifying. HA! It's so weird to feel like (because of pregnancy) I suddenly don't know my body at all. Crazy.
  • Bumping this thread back up for a lovely update (sarcastic eye roll)

Now I'm leaking with absolutely no reason/stimulation. Last night I was laying down to go to bed and a minute later felt some wetness on my sheet. I got up and I had leaked all over myself . . . lovely. I've started wearing a sports bra to bed, which seems to help. That's what I get for trying to go without one. Needless to say I put it on immediately after wiping myself off. I keep telling myself that at least that means things are working right! I plan to BF so it's probably for the best, just unexpected lol

Anyone else?
  • @Kimbarbour08 yes I have to wear a sleep bra to bed with pads or else I soak through my pyjamas. It just started the last couple weeks. I'm not sure if I'm putting pressure on them when I'm sleeping or what the deal is, but I had this problem my other two pregnancies too. But I find it is not too bad during the day, and my bra contains any little leak that does happen then.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • I have been producing a tiny bit for a few weeks now.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know this may be a stupid question but how do you know if your producing? I haven't seen any liquid coming out and I'm 27 weeks
  • Yep I have some drops especially after a hot shower
  • I started at 22 weeks and I'm currently 27...first I noticed crusty stuff on my nipples so I picked them out and my boobs were super sore so when I squeezed a little clear liquid came out
  • mabrams27 said:
    I know this may be a stupid question but how do you know if your producing? I haven't seen any liquid coming out and I'm 27 weeks
    I know because I've seen it both on my nipples and now on the inside of my bras (and if I leak a lot I can feel it). If you squeeze your breast (I don't know if there's a specific way you are supposed to, for me it's near the areola usually) you may see some come out, but it isn't encouraged to intentionally express, I think it can stimulate labor in some cases.
  • Yes 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think I'm still producing milk since my daughter hasn't complained or acted differently while nursing.

My son self weaned when I was 30 weeks pregnant with her cause he said it tasted funny. Hoping I won't have the same issue with her weaning since she's not two yet.
  • Nope just regular milk which surprises me because even though I'm still nursing a kid I figured it would change by now.

How far along are you? I'm 27 weeks and still producing milk too
  • I am in the same boat girls. Leaking a lot at night with no bra. My midwife advised to just let it leak and put a towel down if need be. My boobs grew A LOT so bras, even sports ones, are super uncomfortable for me.

I don't leak a lot during the day and a small cotton pad in my bra is enough.
  • Only my left breast has leaked, And it's only been while I am sleeping lol
  • I started leaking a small amount from 15 weeks on. My first child, so I was a little surprised to see it so soon.
  • so, is it normal to not be producing anything yet????  STM and I thought I would be leaking since I BF my first kiddo.
    Second-time Mommy & OPML 
    M/C (Angel Baby) 10/2011
    AKZ 2/20/2013
    LPZ EDD 2/24/2016
  • stephz44 said:
    so, is it normal to not be producing anything yet????  STM and I thought I would be leaking since I BF my first kiddo.
    I'm pretty sure it's normal to not be producing yet. From what I've read, usually by the third trimester you may start producing, but some ladies start earlier and some start later. I don't think you need to worry, but if you are concerned talk to your medical practitioner :)
  • I'm 26 weeks FTM and just produced my first drops from both breasts, after a hot shower.