February 2016 Moms

Lactation Cookies

Hello everyone,

I'm 20 weeks pregnant & my co-worker brought me some lactation cookies. I wanted to know if they're ok to eat now or if I should wait? What do U all think?

Re: Lactation Cookies

• I'm sure they're fine to eat now! But I'd freeze them for when I really need them, personally :)
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • I can't see why they wouldn't be ok to eat (the galactagogue ingredients are usually brewers yeast, oatmeal, and sometimes flax.. So nothing harmful in the least).

Kind of an odd thing to make for a pregnant friend, though, since they're not going to help you out at all right now. But they should be tasty, so go for it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'd say freeze them as well. Then you can eat them when baby comes and you are too tired to make cookies :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • VitaLuna said:

I can't see why they wouldn't be ok to eat (the galactagogue ingredients are usually brewers yeast, oatmeal, and sometimes flax.. So nothing harmful in the least).

Kind of an odd thing to make for a pregnant friend, though, since they're not going to help you out at all right now. But they should be tasty, so go for it!

All of this.

I was hoping this would be a "share your favorite lactation cookie recipe" thread! ;)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• VitaLuna said:

I can't see why they wouldn't be ok to eat (the galactagogue ingredients are usually brewers yeast, oatmeal, and sometimes flax.. So nothing harmful in the least).

All of this.

I was hoping this would be a "share your favorite lactation cookie recipe" thread! ;)
    Ditto! A friend of mine said she had a recipe that was super helpful for her but she hasn't given it to me yet.

• lbart86 said:

VitaLuna said:

All of this.

Ditto! A friend of mine said she had a recipe that was super helpful for her but she hasn't given it to me yet.

I got mine off a thread in the "Sept 12" BMB way back when, and I can't find it! I'm not a tech saavy person, so I haven't mastered the bump searching. All I remember is oatmeal and butterscotch chips...how could you go wrong?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Yep I would freeze them till you need them.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• Lactation cookies!? :-/ what are these lactation cookies you speak of? Never heard of such a thing!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lactation cookies!? :-/ what are these lactation cookies you speak of? Never heard of such a thing!
    They contain flaxseed and brewer's yeast and other milk-boosting ingredients that are supposed to help your supply when you're breastfeeding. :)
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16

They contain flaxseed and brewer's yeast and other milk-boosting ingredients that are supposed to help your supply when you're breastfeeding. :)

Omg! Thats awesome... Ya learn something new everyday!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would love a post about favorite lactation cookie recipes! I haven't made them yet and I'm overwhelmed by the choices. Maybe I should just start trying recipes now and find the tastiest ones.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never knew that such a thing excited. Do they taste better than they sound?
  • They taste like regular chocolate chip cookies (the ones I've made/had have all been just oatmeal chocolate chip).
  • Someone have a good recipe? I want to bake some to take with me to the hospital. I'm having a repeat c section and want my bf experience to be a little more successful this time
  • Achae said:

They taste like regular chocolate chip cookies (the ones I've made/had have all been just oatmeal chocolate chip).

In my experience, there is a fairly intense flavour from the brewers yeast. If you add a bunch of extras like chocolate or butterscotch chips, that definitely helps overcome the .... Um...earthiness. :)
  • I was going to pinterest it up finding some recipes and make dough balls and freeze them probably around Dec..is that too soon?

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • I was going to pinterest it up finding some recipes and make dough balls and freeze them probably around Dec..is that too soon?

That would be awesome, thank you
  • Ooh. This thread makes me want to start baking lactation cookies now!

I remember wanting so bad to do it in the beginning when I had my son, but I was too exhausted.
  • What a weird present!  Any effect will definitely not last until baby is born.  It probably wouldn't even last until Thursday.  
  • Pinterest has a ton of "lactation _______" recipes...cookies...muffins...smoothies...breads...etc.
  • I agree they are probably fine. All of the ingredients in the ones I make are regular things that can be found in other things, and they just happen to help with milk supply like oatmeal.
    It's perfectly fine to eat oatmeal now.
  • Kellymom.com has an awesome recipe! I add mini chocolate chips to mine.
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited September 2015
    Funny story... I made a big batch once and my step dad and mom were over for dinner. My step dad helped himself to one and said, "these are really good!". My mom said, "those are her lactation cookies". I've never seen his mouth drop so fast. He thought she meant they were made with my breastmilk. He just about died while we all were laughing hysterically.

ETA: he (and my husband and mom) ate more after it was cleared up that I didn't put any mama milk in them :) They're tasty, and the galactagogue ingredients are good for anyone

• I make a dry recipe that I give to new moms and then all have to do is add water and an egg. I plan on making a few mason jars of them for myself in January to have ready for when the baby is born.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just love the word galactagouge.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I finally found the recipe that I used and loved!! Made them with butterscotch chips.  Just wanted to share.

Pregnancy Ticker