August 2015 Moms
Options

Birth control

I am 7 wks pp and got the all clear for starting BC. I am breastfeeding my little guy now and I am stressing out. The dr said that the pill might lower my milk but to give it a try to see how it works since it is the most effective option for me (I do not want an IUD or the implant). I am worried about the pill decreasing my milk but I am also worried about how the hormones will affect my little guy. I hate condoms I always get infections from using them. I'm not sure what else to do.

Re: Birth control

• Options
    I just got the implant. I wanted it because it's good for 3 years. And I don't have to worry about forgetting to take my pill. I was on depo and I don't like getting shots evert 3 months. Well I got the implant on September 16th. I started bleeding maybe 3 days ago and I have never had bleeding so bad before. I hope this wasn't a a bad decision.
  • Options
    I used a diaphragm for a while with spermicide which is probably my preferred birth control, but I am also very anti-hormonal birth control even when not breastfeeding. It just never works right for me. My hormones have always been crazy, and adding additional ones just never works out the way its supposed to. I'm not comfortable with an IUD - even non-hormonal ones.

Currently we are just using condoms like we did after my older daughter till we were ready for a second baby. I have issues with vaginal elasticity (not just dryness - again crazy hormones) while breastfeeding so putting in a diaphragm is too painful right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How does the diaphragm work? Is is hard to use it? I'm leaning towards that or the minipill
  • Options
    I just got an IUD this AM. It hurt like a bitch! But hey, 5 years without having to worry and it'll be worth it.

If you aren't super opposed to getting pregnant again, you could try natural family planning. When done right, it's pretty effective. There's a book, Taking Charge of your Fertility that really explains how to do it well. I used it to get pregnant but it works both ways. If pregnancy hadn't been so dangerous for me, this was the method I had planned to use.
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm on the mini pill. It's a progesterone only pill and is safe to use while BF. I also used it after I had DS and with both LOs it did not decrease my milk supply. BUT make sure you take it everyday at the SAME time (or at least within a half hour). I got pregnant with DD while I was on it. After I got pregnant I read more about it and figured out how time sensitive it was. I should have done my research before but I'm glad I didn't because I probably wouldn't have this beautiful baby girl then.

Edited because I forgot to mention I am also not interested in doing the implant or iud either. That's why I'm doing the pill again but being more careful this time!
  • Options
    My husband is going in for the V in the next month or so, but I started the pill temporarily so that I have plenty of time for him to get it done, go in for the six week checks and get the all clear. I also didn't want to suffer thru condoms that long nor am I all that confident in them compared to the pill. My doc said if you didn't have issues on the pill before it most likely won't cause issues now including lower milk supply, but she encouraged me to hydrate hydrate hydrate.
  • Options
    I had my tubes tied during my c-section. I absolutely didn't want to take the chance that I would get pregnant again and I figured that as long as they were in there, they might as well disable the system permanently. If I had ended up with a vaginal delivery, then DH would have gotten snipped. As you can imagine, he's very happy that he didn't have to.