February 2016 Moms

Side sleeping - help!

I've always been a devote stomach sleeper. Since being pregnant means no more of that, I'm sooo uncomfortable sleeping on my sides. My hips feel terrible! Does any one have any recommendations on positions or pillows! I can't keep doing this for another 19 weeks!

Re: Side sleeping - help!

• I borrowed the Snoogle from my SIL - I love it. My hip still gets sore on whichever side I'm laying on from the extra weight but it helps my back a ton and it feels really nice to cuddle into.

Honestly if I didn't have the option to borrow it I would not buy one for the price though. A simple body pillow would work the same for me. Just having your knees separated puts you more in line to sleep on your side and will help.
    Feb'16 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite thing about fall

Married 05/2014
    FTM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • A lot of people will most likely recommend a Snoogle or similar pregnancy pillow - I just use a regular body pillow and tuck between my legs, this is our last child most definitely so I don't want to spend the $$ on a pregnancy one. I usually am switching back and forth between my right and left sides and waking up multiple times a night still though.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love my Snoogle! It has really helped with my hip pain. It's not 100% gone but it's way better than it was!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a Snoogle and I hate it. I am much better off with a king-size regular pillow between my legs (turned long-way) and a king-size pillow along my back. This has helped a lot with hip and back pain for me.
  • I am also team Snoogle!  Really helped me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use a Snoogle too but I'm borrowing it, any body pillow would probably be fine. I do a pillow between the legs, one up against my back and hug a really soft one and it's pretty much the only way I can sleep. High maintenance, but it works! I miss sleeping on my stomach though. :(
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • I use a regular body pillow. Putting a pillow between your legs will really help with the hip pain. I still have to switch sides multiple times per night, but still way better than without a pillow between my knees. I'm a devout back sleeper so i feel your pain!

BFP #1 07/23/14 lost heartbeat @ 9w
    BFP #2 11/07/14 mmc @ 9w
    BFP #3 due February 2016!
  • For those who say put a pillow between your legs to help with the hip pain - where between the legs? I've tried lower down, the entire length, basically crotching it... nothing helps my hips. Do I need super thick pillows or what am I doing wrong???
  • My Sleeping is awful! I have been doing a king size pillow long ways between my legs and one behind my back. It helps but I do wake up stiff as a board some mornings. I can't get comfortable and the back/hip pain is getting old already. Ugh.
  • Achae said:
    For those who say put a pillow between your legs to help with the hip pain - where between the legs? I've tried lower down, the entire length, basically crotching it... nothing helps my hips. Do I need super thick pillows or what am I doing wrong???
    I use a king-size pillow and place it long-ways so it goes pretty much all the way up from my crotch (hah) down to below my knees. I also have to use a pillow that isn't too soft, otherwise it smashes down too much throughout the night and doesn't provide any support.
  • I feel your pain. I wanted a pregnancy pillow, like the Snoogle, but haven't been able to justify buying it. My mom gave me a body pillow, (from Target, I think), but I don't feel like it's long enough lol. I want a pillow I can have between my legs and that I can hang onto. For now I just have a regular, slimmer pillow between my legs, long-wise, two under my head, and another pillow to hang onto.

Or sometimes I just use one of DH's legs and an arm to curl up with =))

Happy October :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Emmett Austin Langford, born sleeping 2.25.15

"Once you are Real you can't become unreal again.  It lasts for always." 
    || The Velveteen Rabbit ||

>>> BFP 6.6.15, Rainbow due 2.6.15! <<<
    >>We are Team Pink!<<

I write over at Grace In Chaos.
  • not that I'm an expert and I've just started feeling the hip pain but I took my regular target body pillow and put it up against my crotch and then the bottom half I folded up so that it held my ankles more in line with my hips. I'm also plus size so that might mean I need the pillow to be thicker since I'm thicker.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Achae said:

For those who say put a pillow between your legs to help with the hip pain - where between the legs? I've tried lower down, the entire length, basically crotching it... nothing helps my hips. Do I need super thick pillows or what am I doing wrong???

For me putting a regular pillow between my knees helps a lot. You might want to try using thicker pillows or doubling one up on itself. Sometimes my hips still hurt though, just not as much as they do without a pillow.

BFP #1 07/23/14 lost heartbeat @ 9w
    BFP #2 11/07/14 mmc @ 9w
    BFP #3 due February 2016!
  • jaimerunsjaimeruns member
    edited September 2015

I got lucky and my best friend gave me her snoogle since she is done having babies. I sleep with it to my front, and kinda spoon it with my top leg over the pillow.

I have had really bad hip pain too, but stretching really helps. There is a prenatal yoga video on the site below that I love for this, called "helpful hip openers"... it's pretty great.

https://prenatalyogacenter.com/free-online-videos/

ETA: I put the pillow between my knees.

• I am also a stomach sleeper and I use a regular body pillow. I hug it and put my upper leg over it, the other one is extended and I'm kind of leaning on it and my stomach child between the pillow and the bed. I can't even describe it. Lol

• I tried the boppy, and it was fine for a while, but I've found that a regular body pillow is actually even more comfortable.  I just kind of "spoon" it and put it between my legs.  Husband and cat are very jealous of it, and I'm afraid one of them might pee on it as revenge.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • paytonpedropaytonpedro member
    edited September 2015
    H just bought me a pregnancy pillow, but I haven't gotten it yet so I can't speak on that. I have the same problems with hip and low back pain. I got an exercise ball and I rolled my hips out before I went to bed and that made a world of difference for me.
    Eta words. Ugh.
  • I tried the boppy, and it was fine for a while, but I've found that a regular body pillow is actually even more comfortable.  I just kind of "spoon" it and put it between my legs.  Husband and cat are very jealous of it, and I'm afraid one of them might pee on it as revenge.

Let's hope it's your cat. :D

I have a snoogle and I'm kind of "meh" about it. Usually putting a regular pillow between my legs works just as well. I also can't sleep in the same position all night---I have to switch sides, and that is a pain with a big body pillow.

I have been waking up a lot on my back. I know they say not to worry, but it's a little disconcerting. I guess I should try the snoogle again--at least it makes it hard to move.
  • Thankfully, I have always been a side sleeper so I haven't been having difficulty with that but I have been having the hip pain. I sleep with just a regular pillow basically from my crotch to my knees and it helps out a lot with the pain for me. I also sleep fairly balled up which may or may not help.
  • I, too, am a stomach sleeper and have been dealing with horrible hip and sacrum pain. I bought a Snoogle with high hopes...but I move too much at night! While it's comfortable, I woke up every time I have to move and I was getting horrible headaches from the strain of trying to unwind my body from the Snoogle several times a night. The only thing I've found that works relatively well is a small pillow (like a neck pillow) between my legs just above my knees. It moves with me when I turn and I don't wake up as much. Yoga during the day definitely helps, too!
  • I can't sleep on my side either because of a pelvic/SI joint issue. My doctor said it was fine to sleep on my back for now. If I try to sleep on my side I'm in a lot of pain for days so I will be back sleeping for as long as I can.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• So I bought a snoogle after trying to use a king size pillow for about a month. I found that no matter which pillow I had, it would squish down so far that my knees were touching with some cloth between. With my snoogle, I find that it doesn't squish as much so there's padding for the whole night. And I crotch it as well, so it is between the entire leg. I believe it was a PT who told me that the pillow should be between the knees and extend all the way between the feet.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Ive been sleeping in a recliner for about a month. Hips hurt too much no matter what i try. :((
  • I'm having trouble sleeping. I too have been dealing with hip pain and my shoulder/arm has been killing me. The right side. I have been trying to sleep on my left side with my snoogle behind me. But i still end up on my back everytime. I am going too try to spoon my snoogle tonight.
  • I've always been a side sleeper, but I'm actually having a harder time staying on my side while pregnant. I find myself waking up on my back a lot and when I am laying on my side it's sort of my stomach/side since I have one leg way higher than the other. I'm starting to get a little achy from however I'm sleeping, and I don't really expect that to change as I just get bigger and bigger . . . oh well, it's all going to be worth it!
  • I've been able to continue faux-stomach sleeping for now with a big, puffy pillow between my legs- one leg bent up onto the pillow, so most of my weight rests on my hip. I don't know how to describe it, but it works well and isn't putting too much weight on my stomach since the pillow is absorbing a lot.
  • I'm a stomach sleeper. My sister gave me her snoogle, and it started out pretty comfortable. What started the downward spiral was my husband in the bed with me. When I first tried it, he was on a business trip. It was just entirely too big for it and the both of us in the bed. Then my neck started hurting. So after giving it a real effort, I just use a body pillow and my memory foam pillow.
    I am 27, DH is 26.
    We have been married since September 28, 2013.
    We had our first child, Zoey, February 7, 2016.

images 300168
  • I can't sleep on my side either because of a pelvic/SI joint issue. My doctor said it was fine to sleep on my back for now. If I try to sleep on my side I'm in a lot of pain for days so I will be back sleeping for as long as I can.

I'm having this as well. With my last pregnancy it was my pubic bone, spd, and this time my hips. If I go from my side to my back, I have to literally pop my hips back in place! Ugh!!! And it started so much earlier this time.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • I feel your pain. I'm 19+4 and have been waking up last few nights with awful hip pain. I end up putting pillow between my legs and also elevating my feet on a pillow too and it eases it. Hope this helps
  • Woke up is morning on my stomach...not even really sure how that happened or how I was comfortable. Sleeping is weird right now!