November 2015 Moms

STM+ fast labor and deliveries

I have babies really fast. 6 hours with my first, 55 minutes with my second. To say I am petrified about what's going to happen this time around is an understatement. My docs plan on inducing me at 39 weeks, but I'm scared that I'll go early and end up birthing the baby at home and alone. Anyone else experiencing this?
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STM+ fast labor and deliveries

• Terrified! I have nightmares about it. My first came exactly 2 weeks early and labor was 3 hours from first contraction to baby in arms. My second I was induced at 37 weeks for medical reasons but from the first contraction I felt to baby in arms was 40 minutes. The nurse delivered her because my doc didn't make it back to the room on timeMy doc also thinks if I wasn't induced I wasn't going to make it another week before having her. My current doc will induce close to my due date, but that doesn't really help much seeing as I have never made it that far. My old doctor would have induced me any time after 37 weeks if I was dilated past 3 and starting to efface because having the baby that fast at home or on the side of the road is much riskier to the baby than coming a few days early(based on a number of factors in my history).
  • Good luck to both of you! My biggest fear is having the baby on the side of the road or home alone! Prayers your babies are born in the hospital!
  • Loading the player...
  • Nbpa3027...Not glad you are going through this, too, but glad I am not alone!! My doc will not induce prior to 39 weeks. I understand letting baby cook as long as possible, but the what ifs are killing me and I just think even 39 is cutting it close. Best of luck and please keep me posted!
  • Its a fear of mine.DS labor was 5hr from first sign to baby and that was with me waiting an hour to push waiting on the Dr (thank you epidural).
  • It's a fear here to, first 2 were 6hrs 3rd was 3 hours. If my water breaks they come within 15-20 min. I have a 30-40 min commute to my birthing center. I will have an emergency birthing kit from my midwife just incase I don't make it :)
  • And to make my story even more interesting, my husband has one of those jobs where it is completely possible I won't be able to reach him. Assuming I go into labor and can get someone to watch my kids and get myself to the hospital( which is luckily just 5 minutes away). I will likely have to do it all alone and will have had the baby by the time I get ahold of him.

I understand that it is really best for the baby to come on their own and all that good stuff, but there are just so many variables, I am really hoping I need to be induced at 37 weeks again.
  • Cook3133 said:

It's a fear here to, first 2 were 6hrs 3rd was 3 hours. If my water breaks they come within 15-20 min. I have a 30-40 min commute to my birthing center. I will have an emergency birthing kit from my midwife just incase I don't make it :)

I would probably just camp out in the parking lot the last few weeks. That's how paranoid I am about having a baby anywhere other than the designated place.
    I was 40 minutes from my last hospital and my doctor joked that I should get a list of the hotels just around the hospitals and live there towards the end on the days my husband worked.
  • The fear is real. DS was induced late, but once he decided he was coming there was no stopping him. I went from zero to baby in under five hours, and was 8cm dilated before i knew i was in labour when it hit me like a tidal wave and i went from not feeling anything to on my hands and knees unable to walk or talk and promptly throwing up the yummy dinner I'd had.
    Thankfully DH works five minutes from home, and we're only 15 minutes from the hospital...I just don't know what we're doing with DS come D-day; we don't have a sitter, our one friend who's willing to sit is moving about 40 minutes away, and MIL (the relative who lives closest) is also a good 45 minutes away and doesn't own a cell phone.
  • Scary stuff ladies! Is it weird that if I'm induced I want to go to one hospital but if I go naturally I want to go to another? I toured where I thought I wanted to give birth and it is not as nice as the hospital I gave birth at the first time. But the hospital I toured is a 10 minute drive away. The other is only 20 but I might be driving myself. First baby took 10 hours from walking into hospital to baby in arms so a lot longer than PP she was also a scheduled induction so probably about 8.5 hours after getting checked in and started. I worry about labor starting in the middle of the night when I have DD so I will have to have someone come get her or stay here to watch her and get to the hospital. That's my worry
  • My mom went in for scheduled inductions with both my sister and I not realizing that she was already laboring.  Neither of her labors lasted more than three hours after her arrival at the hospital.  This is my first, but I am definitely worried it could happen to me, too.
  • urby87 said:

My mom went in for scheduled inductions with both my sister and I not realizing that she was already laboring.  Neither of her labors lasted more than three hours after her arrival at the hospital.  This is my first, but I am definitely worried it could happen to me, too.

The doctor I had for my first two said that while there are no official studies that show a genetic component to length of labor, anecdotally and in her experience, there does seem to be a connection. My mom had pretty quick labors with me and my brothers, so I wasn't completely surprised mine were quick.
  • My first two were pretty fast about two hours total. I do hope this one's fast too because I live about 15min from the hospital and I'm terrified to have a long labor since I'm a baby when it comes to pain.
  • Sorry I have an extremely hard time sympathizing with you ladies!! Lol I'd give almost anything to not have to go through 25hours of hard labour again. :)
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • urby87urby87 member
    edited September 2015
    nbpa3027 said:
    My mom went in for scheduled inductions with both my sister and I not realizing that she was already laboring.  Neither of her labors lasted more than three hours after her arrival at the hospital.  This is my first, but I am definitely worried it could happen to me, too.
    The doctor I had for my first two said that while there are no official studies that show a genetic component to length of labor, anecdotally and in her experience, there does seem to be a connection. My mom had pretty quick labors with me and my brothers, so I wasn't completely surprised mine were quick.
    It's not so much I'm worried that it happened to my mom and now it's going to happen to me because of genetics.  I understand that labor isn't really a genetic thing.  I'd probably be just as worried if it was a co-worker or a high school friend who had told me they didn't know they were in labor for two deliveries.  I mean, everybody says you'll know, but this happened to her twice, so It's just not very reassuring.
  • shellperryshellperry member
    edited September 2015
    I'm getting induced on the 26 of October because of fast labor my first was 3 hours my second was under an hour from the start of mild contractions to holding him.
    Edit my EDD is November 8
  • rubirubi89rubirubi89 member
    edited September 2015
    I'm not sure what sounds worse, a car delivery or days of labor. Good thing I live close to a bunch of hospitals
  • vomitrosavomitrosa member
    edited September 2015

I am praying for a quick delivery this time! 12 hours on the nose from start to finish with my first...I just hope for anything under 8....

Also, to freak you all out even more...anyone catch this baby born in car video that's been circulating??! Now this is scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXEZ6g2WLoM

• Yes! I saw that video! That'll be me....but DH will not be calmly videoing it ha
  • A lady at my job just told me I better not have the baby at work because she doesn't want to deliver it. I laughed it off and told her "this is my first, there's no way she'll come out that fast". Now after reading this post, I'm slightly nervous lol
  • Ok... that lady in the car is super strong to have been able to do that and stay calm but is it just me or is it super irresponsible of the father to be driving while recording?!?! Also, why didn't they just pull over and call an ambulance? Why do they continue driving with a newborn in her lap? And why is no one covering that baby with a blanket?!?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lopezalonso  I had all the same questions??!! WHY is he still driving!!! Why does he continue driving after she has the baby?? Why does he call their newborn baby IT?
  • And also...she doesn't appear to get the shakes after. I say hoax!
  • Yeah, I don't buy it. If she does actually give birth and it isn't a hoax, that wasn't a short labor. I believe that people can be very calm through labor, but if the baby coming was truly a quick surprise, there is no way they would both be calm enough to act as they are.

And the shakes--I had totally forgotten about those--or you know, conveniently pushed them out of my mind (along with a ton of other things I'm sure)
  • lopezalonso, I thought the same things when I've seen this video.  There is no way I'd be letting my husband record me giving birth, in a car or otherwise.  And you better believe there would be no high fives after giving birth in a car, more like "pull the f*ck over and help me!".
  • I've been induced with both kids ds1 was 18 hours and ds 2 was 9 hours but I do dilate quick 2-10cm in a little over an hour and 5-10 in 20 minutes.

I'm afraid to go into labor on my own at home since I do dilate quite quickly .