February 2016 Moms

Diaper Bags

I know this was brought up back in June... but I'm still so totally lost.  Especially because we are about to send out invitations for my baby shower, I am at a total loss for what to get.

I currently have the Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack on my registry... I've heard good things about it, SO won't feel weird carrying it around, we're cloth diapering and want the space... but it's expensive, and part of me totally wants the Skip Hop 2 in 1 Duet Tote because it's pretty like a purse (and costs like $70 less).  But I hear that most moms by several months in don't want the purse-like bags because they get heavy and annoying.  

Maybe I'm thinking too hard on this but... what's the difference going to be between a $50 and a $200 bag (Like a Carter's bag vs. a Petunia Pickle Bottom), do I want a changing pad, do I want a ton of organization or more of an open space to put whatever I need, is bigger better, is a backpack really the best way to go, and am I going to want to buy something that SO will be okay wearing (or can't I just shove it in the huge compartment under my stroller?)

My mind is spinning... 
:-O
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

Re: Diaper Bags

• With dd my mil sent me a cute floral cross Body one from Carters. I loved it. DH carried it frequently and never complained about the style. I nanny and the baby has a back pack diaper bag and I personally don't like it. It's not comfortable for me. With this baby I think we're going with another cross body one I want this one
  • I used a back pack diaper bag by Quicksilver and it works great for cloth diapers. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I love my PPB boxy backpack. It's very roomy for 2 kids and I think the backpack option was the easiest way for me to baby wear and have the diaper bag. I didn't have to keep pushing the strap back onto my shoulder. They have their semi annual sale again in Dec/Jan if you want to wait. I got mine during the sale for $100.

MMC Aug 2010
    DS1 Jan 2012
    DS2 July 2013
    DS3 February 2016

• Don't skimp on a diaper bag (my opinion). For the first year or so, this thing will go everywhere with you. You want something that isn't going to tear at the seams if you're carrying a heavy load (which with cloth diapers you will be). Something you can sit down on the nasty floor and not have to worry about being able to wipe down the bag because the material is crappy. Also think about overnight stays. Can you fit 2 days worth of bottles, clothes, diapers, wipes, some toys, blankets, etc in there or will your bag be so small that you now have to carry an additional bag?

I went with the PPB abundance boxy because I needed the space for cloth diapering twins. It was plenty large enough and 3 years later it still looks brand new. Not one seam tear.
  • I also say splurge on a diaper bag! It gets used so much. But I also feel the same way about purses. It's just guaranteed to last, but it's not a requirement. Anyways, I ended up selling my first two when I thought I might be done having babies, so I have no idea what to do this go around either. I feel like trying something new but there are way too many styles and options.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • I did the purse style with my son and agree that after about a year it was really heavy and awkward to carry the bag on one side and my child on the other hip. This time I'm getting a backpack. I'm glad you asked the question because I'm not sure if I should just use any backpack or if there's a special reason people pay the big bucks for the special diaper backpacks. (I cloth diaper as well)
  • I agree on not skimping on the diaper bag. I bought one from a friend that I didn't loooove and it was such a pain. I ended up ditching it and just using random canvas bags/my purse for quite awhile, which was annoying. I just bought a Skip Hop Duo and I am in LOVE. Every compartment makes sense and it goes over my shoulder, which my other bag lacked. It's also adorable.

So I say go for the nicer one that you really like. :)
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • RN0107 said:

I love my PPB boxy backpack. It's very roomy for 2 kids and I think the backpack option was the easiest way for me to baby wear and have the diaper bag. I didn't have to keep pushing the strap back onto my shoulder. They have their semi annual sale again in Dec/Jan if you want to wait. I got mine during the sale for $100.

Thanks for the tip on the sale! Is it on their website?
  • I am splurging on a designer bag for myself.  I want it to last through several babies, and I know I can resell if I want to once I am done with it (I am not banking on this, just know it's an option).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do any ladies have the changing pad and say that is a necessity when out, or do you really not need it?

@Lifeisexciting I have a North Face backpack for school and love it... Only problem I could see with it vs. a diaper bag is that the diaper bag actually has compartments?  I lose school gear all the time in the bottom of the bag because of this!

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 

• TwindlingTwindling member
    edited September 2015
    Changing pad is DEFINITELY necessary. Very few places have public changing stations so having the pad is nice if you're forced to use the bathroom counter, floor, etc. you'd be surprised the places you find yourself changing your baby.
  • To add to this question do you mommas find that backpacks or the cross body style is better (or no real difference)? I can see how they would be different in terms of where the weight is carried but also in terms of ease when having LO on you? I am picturing bumping the carrier into the diaper bag sort of thing.
    Feb'16 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite thing about fall

Married 05/2014
    FTM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @egraves4 YES to the changing pad. You just never know where you will be when you have to change a diaper.

@Life is Exciting the website is petuniaoutlet.com. If you go there now you can pre register and PPB will you email you starting a few days before it starts.

@Zepplin1218 I liked the back pack for baby wearing better than a cross over strap. I felt like a cross over strap was in the baby's face and just sort of awkward in the front where the carrier is.

MMC Aug 2010
    DS1 Jan 2012
    DS2 July 2013
    DS3 February 2016

• Backpack for sure. Especially for any twin moms reading this!
  • changing pad is a must. However, I hated all the changing pads that came with diaper bags. I don't know if my child was just exceptionally large, but those were tiny. I have 2 skiphop pronto changing stations that I still use; they are great because you can put diapers, travel size wipes, and hang one of those diaper disposable bag dispenser and a hand sanitizer on its handle, and that's usually all you need with an older, but not yet potty trained kid. Also, I did not like the idea of bringing my entire diaper bag to the bathroom to change my child, so when appropriate, I would just take the skip hop changing station with me to the bathroom. 
    One used to be in my diaper bag, but now one is in my car and one in my husband's car (we don't really need a diaper bag anymore for our 2 year old). 

As far as diaper bags go, I got the kate spade diaper bag at the outlets last time I was pregnant. I bought it mainly because I wanted something aesthetically that I would like to carry, as that became my main bag for awhile. It's extremely roomy and open with several small pockets which is what I ended up really liking about it - however, I did use several zip lock bags to organize items based on what they were. It wipes clean, even thought we never had a bad spill or spit up on the bag itself. I still use it when I travel because it's so large and roomy but doesn't scream "diaper bag". I plan to reuse it as a diaper bag with this one also. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I think I've decided we're going to go with the Ju-Ju-Be backpack.  Kind of mid-price range ($150), I don't really use a large bag anyway, just usually have a small crossbody, and it'll be easy to carry around.  I watch a few videos on YouTube and it looks like a great bag!

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15

• My mom got me the Vera Bradley Stroll Around Baby Bag. And my SIL has the VB Baby Backpack and she loves it for two kids. Both have built in changing pads! We shall see!
  • I should add to for anyone wondering, the PPB has a built in changing station with detachable changing pad to be removed for use & machine washing.
  • @egraves4 - the changing pad (or just a receiving blanket or something is DEFINITELY a necessity. Have you ever seen how gross some of those public changing tables can be? Also, if you're changing a blowout poop in the back of your car, you definitely don't want to get the poop on your upholstery.
  • I agree on not skimping on the diaper bag. I bought one from a friend that I didn't loooove and it was such a pain. I ended up ditching it and just using random canvas bags/my purse for quite awhile, which was annoying. I just bought a Skip Hop Duo and I am in LOVE. Every compartment makes sense and it goes over my shoulder, which my other bag lacked. It's also adorable.

Does the Skip Hop Duo come with a changing pad or do you have to buy that separately? I was looking at it this morning and couldn't figure it out!
  • For dd I got a Vera bag, fit everything I needed and I think if it had been larger I would have just tried to shove more stuff in it.

This time I have this one- it has more space. I haven't started using it yet because I'm saving it for when baby is born so I don't over fill it with stuff just for dd!

https://www.target.com/p/orla-kiely-diaper-bag-tote-red-white-stem-flower-print/-/A-16334292

• Has anyone used a Thirtyone bag (I think that's the brand?) for a diaper bag? I have a family friend who is a consultant or whatever and my sister wants to get me one but I've never seen the bags before.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  •  
    Has anyone used a Thirtyone bag (I think that's the brand?) for a diaper bag? I have a family friend who is a consultant or whatever and my sister wants to get me one but I've never seen the bags before.
    I'm not familiar with them for diaper bags (or if there is a specific diaper bag? not sure.) but I have a few of their totes and it's pretty good stuff. I was skeptical because I hate those direct-sales type things and having people all over me to buy crap. But Thirtyone seems to be pretty high-quality stuff from what I have experienced.
  • @pbtoast my sister said that she was talking to our friend (family friends from when we were stationed at Ft. Carson, CO- and my sister moved back to Co Springs last year and they reconnected) and she said there is a specific diaper bag from the brand, don't ask me to describe it because I have no clue, and that it's pretty popular..but again, I've never seen any of these bags except something my SIL has in her trunk of wrangle the grocery bags.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Has anyone used a Thirtyone bag (I think that's the brand?) for a diaper bag? I have a family friend who is a consultant or whatever and my sister wants to get me one but I've never seen the bags before.

I have a cousin who sells ThirtyOne and got me a diaper bag for my shower and I hated it. I don't think they have a specific "diaper bag" but just bags that work as them. The one I got didn't have a lot of organization compartments which was a must for me. And the pockets weren't specific for bottles like actual diaper bags.

I ended up getting a skip hop diaper bag for Christmas and I love it. So many compartments for everything and bottle holder pockets on the outside and it came with a changing pad. It's also not overly huge which I like, for now. We will see how it works with two kids' stuff in there.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• ohbaby714 said:
    I have a cousin who sells ThirtyOne and got me a diaper bag for my shower and I hated it. I don't think they have a specific "diaper bag" but just bags that work as them. The one I got didn't have a lot of organization compartments which was a must for me. And the pockets weren't specific for bottles like actual diaper bags. I ended up getting a skip hop diaper bag for Christmas and I love it. So many compartments for everything and bottle holder pockets on the outside and it came with a changing pad. It's also not overly huge which I like, for now. We will see how it works with two kids' stuff in there.
    Hmm..that's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll see if I can google whichever one they were talking about and check it out for myself...Thanks!

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • So this is the diaper bag we bought last time, and we're looking forward to using: 

I love how sturdy and well-made it is! DH & I live an hour and a half away from our families, so anytime we see them (which is fairly often), we figured we would need to pack a decent sized bag. I generally carry a large purse, so it's not too crazy of a transition, size-wise :) DH has made it very clear that he's not at  all ashamed about carrying it, which is nice lol. I would maybe like to get something smaller for quick trips out, or at least a pouch I could throw into a purse or something. (I'd prefer to not have to haul this one into the grocery store). I'll have to look into some of those diaper clutches or whatever they're called.

I initially really wanted a Kate Spade diaper bag, (my favorite purses are Kate!), but I don't live near an outlet, and can't justify the retail price right now. Hoping to maybe receive one as my Christmas gift this year :D 

Happy October :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Emmett Austin Langford, born sleeping 2.25.15

"Once you are Real you can't become unreal again.  It lasts for always." 
    || The Velveteen Rabbit ||

>>> BFP 6.6.15, Rainbow due 2.6.15! <<<
    >>We are Team Pink!<<

I write over at Grace In Chaos.
  • Do any of you have or have any of you looked into the skip hop forma backpack diaper bag? The price is right at only $66 and online it looks to be a good size. I'm considering it for my cloth diapered baby and will need to throw some of my 2 year old's things in there as well (hoping he'll be out of diapers by then).
  • pbtoast said:

I agree on not skimping on the diaper bag. I bought one from a friend that I didn't loooove and it was such a pain. I ended up ditching it and just using random canvas bags/my purse for quite awhile, which was annoying. I just bought a Skip Hop Duo and I am in LOVE. Every compartment makes sense and it goes over my shoulder, which my other bag lacked. It's also adorable.

Does the Skip Hop Duo come with a changing pad or do you have to buy that separately? I was looking at it this morning and couldn't figure it out!

I had a skip hop duo for a year before it started falling apart. The seams were coming undone. To be fair I beat the crap out of that bag. But still, I would've expected to hold up a little bit better.
  • I have a nice JJ Cole diaper bag that I still use for my youngest when we are going to be gone all day. It's large enough for me to use again this time for the twins, but I put a backpack style one on my registry. I used to have one like that with my oldest, but we got rid of it. That style is just much easier to deal with especially with two babies in tow and other kids. Plus it's not so purse-like and DH will like it more.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers