February 2016 Moms

My toddlers...

Are currently whining "you go get it" "mommy do it" "I wear pretty dress" "no water, want juice" wah wah wah!!!

I'm going crazy. All things they are capable of doing themselves they all of a sudden cannot do and mommy must do it for them. Including going potty. They used to go potty all by themselves and now suddenly can't go and resort to peeing their pants if I don't follow them in the bathroom, pull their pants down, put them on the potty, etc...

Mommies of toddlers, please tell me I'm not alone and please feel free to join in on my whine.

Re: My toddlers...

• Oh no how old are they? Currently my girl is 2 and everything is SHE has to do it, not momma.
  • How old are your toddlers? They could be going through a disequilibrium phase. My 3 1/2 year old just went through one and it wasn't fun at all!! Thankfully, I think it's starting to pass.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on the same boat as @Achae. However, my girl isn't potty trained yet. She does however request juice over water...all the time. She loses her mind when I don't interchange it.

• Mine are almost 2.5 and almost 1.5. Idk if it's because my son is still small...but he has also become very needy. If he can't get something (as in he not supposed to) or his car doesn't go the way he wants it to, immediate meltdown. It's getting old. He has also become very destructive lately. :/

• I needed to hear this. I knew toddlers were difficult but dang...kids definitely act WAY different for their parents. My daycare kids are angels and little toots for their parents and mine are the same.
  • Yes. Sigh. C was shouting at his cereal bowl this morning, but it's just babble so who knows what his problem is? Not me. 

He gets really used to having Dada here all weekend doing everything with him, and then Mondays are hard because he has to readjust to waking up to just me and waiting until 6pm to see his dad. :/
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • My son is 2.5 and has been going back and forth between "I do it!" or wanting the opposite of either myself or my husband to help him with things (if I'm helping him, he says "no, daddy help!" and vice versa) yesterday was an extremely difficult day since he decided he didn't need a nap....oh man, didn't realize how badly mommy and daddy needed a break from all the whining for 13 hrs. straight! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 17 month old had a meltdown at the farmers market yesterday. We are trying to teach her not every doggie is as friendly as our doggie is. Well, that didn't work because all 13 dogs we ran into ended up loving her and kissing her and she would hug them and wave hi and bye... and then she was obviously so mad when we had to leave all her new friends. DD-1, Parents-0
    Married: 2012 --- BFP: 2013 - Little Miss arrived: 2014 --- BFP #2: 2015 - EDD: 2/2016 (Team Green)
  • Oh yes, we're in the difficult toddler years too. DD just turned 2 on friday and she can be so stubborn and throws tantrums at anything and everything. She has times where I'm so amazed at how sweet, understanding, helpful, and just behaving well and then like a switch it all changes. You just never know what you're going to get! She has trouble with transistions (like leaving a park or grandma's house) and I try to give her a few reminders that we will be leaving in 5 mins, 1 min etc but it just doesn't work and she will scream so loud and it just makes your toes curl, its so frustrating! DH always says all toddlers can't be like this and she whines way more then most kids but I have a hard time believing anyone has it that easy with a toddler.

Yesterday, she was upset when we were waiting in line for the checkout and she grabbed the side of my face and dug her nails in, then before nap time she smacked me across the face, threw a toy at me and told me to go away. Ugh, come on kid I really don't like getting beat up by you!
  • lilqt3929 said:

Oh yes, we're in the difficult toddler years too. DD just turned 2 on friday and she can be so stubborn and throws tantrums at anything and everything. She has times where I'm so amazed at how sweet, understanding, helpful, and just behaving well and then like a switch it all changes. You just never know what you're going to get! She has trouble with transistions (like leaving a park or grandma's house) and I try to give her a few reminders that we will be leaving in 5 mins, 1 min etc but it just doesn't work and she will scream so loud and it just makes your toes curl, its so frustrating! DH always says all toddlers can't be like this and she whines way more then most kids but I have a hard time believing anyone has it that easy with a toddler.

Yesterday, she was upset when we were waiting in line for the checkout and she grabbed the side of my face and dug her nails in, then before nap time she smacked me across the face, threw a toy at me and told me to go away. Ugh, come on kid I really don't like getting beat up by you!

Sounds like my tiny divas. Then to top it off, I was venting to my best friend about my frustrations and she said "well maybe you should start following through with discipline and quit being a wet paper sack" SERIOUSLY!? Because you spend all of 1 day (3hrs) a week with us, you know all my parenting tactics and what I do and don't let them get away with? Perhaps I should instill fear in my children like she does to her own...that'll get them to listen. NOT.
  • @Twindling I'm sorry your friend wasn't too supportive. People (whether parents or not) are so quick to judge and throw out advice instead of just listening and being a supportive person when you really need it. I'm glad you started this thread because obviously there are quite a few of us who can relate to you and it's nice to know you're not alone and others can sympathize with you. Parenting is hard and we all could use more supportive people in our lives :) . Btw, I may steal your "tiny diva" term lol.
  • Mine is definitely in the "Parker do it!" phase.  But, he's also become very clingy to Mommy and has been freaking out when I'm not there or when Daddy tries to help out.  He won't let anyone put him to bed but me and freaked out this morning when I left before he got up to go to work and Daddy woke him.  He was screaming "Momma!" at Daddy for a long time. 

I'm wondering if the pregnancy is causing the clinginess?

• lilqt3929 said:
    Oh yes, we're in the difficult toddler years too. DD just turned 2 on friday and she can be so stubborn and throws tantrums at anything and everything. She has times where I'm so amazed at how sweet, understanding, helpful, and just behaving well and then like a switch it all changes. You just never know what you're going to get! She has trouble with transistions (like leaving a park or grandma's house) and I try to give her a few reminders that we will be leaving in 5 mins, 1 min etc but it just doesn't work and she will scream so loud and it just makes your toes curl, its so frustrating! DH always says all toddlers can't be like this and she whines way more then most kids but I have a hard time believing anyone has it that easy with a toddler. Yesterday, she was upset when we were waiting in line for the checkout and she grabbed the side of my face and dug her nails in, then before nap time she smacked me across the face, threw a toy at me and told me to go away. Ugh, come on kid I really don't like getting beat up by you!

Oh good. I'm not the only one getting beat up by their 2 year old. Mine has learned that pulling my hair is a really good way to get me to freak out.

• I have a 6.5, 4.5 and my youngest will be 3 in nov. Luckily none of them having been acting different in frustrating ways lol. My youngest use to be crazy attached to me, she still is to a point but I noticed she's definitely being more independent. But I'm pretty sure it's just because she's almost 3 and my other daughter was the same way. I've heard of children being more clingy or wanting more attention when a new baby is coming. Hopefully they get out of this phase soon. I would just keep reassuring them they can do this or that on their own etc.
  • SoSiriusSoSirius member
    edited October 2015
    The last week or two my son has been super clingy. I like that he wants hugs and things but all day I hear "UP" (to get picked up). I had to eat while holding him today because he didn't want anyone or anything else. 
  • my just turned 3 year old now wants to do everything herself. try getting out the door in the morning with that- it takes about 2 hours to get both of us ready! ha! i'm not sure which stage is worse :)
  • Just had my son's 2 year pediatrician checkup yesterday.  The pedi said that around 2 or 2 1/2, many toddlers go through a second separation anxiety.  So, for those of you who are dealing with super-clinginess, tantrums when being dropped off at daycare, night wakings - screaming for mommy, and a little one who refuses to go to anyone but mommy, especially when he's tired, there's a reason!  And it's a phase that will hopefully pass soon!