August 2015 Moms
Options

Umbilical Hernia

Our little one has an umbilical hernia. Its not huge but just wondering if anyone else has had a little one who has experienced this. At first I was really worried about it, but not as much anymore. The pedi sais it will just go away eventuslly.
Wondering how long it takes to go away, is there anything I can do like massages to help?
Baby girl is 5 weeks old. And had the hernia for about 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Umbilical Hernia

• Options
    DS has had his for the past 4 weeks. The pedi said it can last up to 1 year and will heal on its own. The doctor also taught us how to push it back in. Other than that, there is nothing you can do. Watch for pain and swelling to make sure your LO doesn't require surgery. It is rare but can happen.
  • Options
    Our first born had one, it lasted about 6-8 months (not entirely sure when I stopped noticing it) there's nothing you can do about it- just make sure at each diaper changed that you push on it a little bit to make sure it's still soft, and not causing your LO pain. If it gets hard then you need to have it surgically removed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our little girl has one too. Hers is big and breaks my heart but doesn't hurt her. She is 7 wks.