February 2016 Moms

Makeup and labor

Hi all any ladies planning on doing some light makeup before labor. I told a friend I was packing some makeup for those after baby pics and she literally laughed at me. Anyone else trying to no look so exhausted lol?!

Re: Makeup and labor

• ashton2190ashton2190 member
    edited September 2015
    I see where you're coming from. I'd at least like to put on some bb cream and mascara so I don't look like a total zombie. Maybe it's an idealistic FTM thing but that's my plan anyway

Eta: bb cream...not bob cream lol
  • I don't plan on it, but I never wear makeup anyway. I have some for special occasions (like going to a wedding), but I still don't even wear it every time for something like that. I do expect to look like a hot mess in those pics though. Remember people want to snap pics right after they clean off baby and you are snuggling for the first time. You will NOT have a chance to clean yourself up for those pics and I'm sure in those moments you won't care what you look like either.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I brought make up and used it. We took lots of selfies and I'm an happy I looked good. I also was up an hour after baby was born tidying up so that's just me.
  • I had a scheduled induction and did my hair and makeup before hand. 14 hours later...I actually looked pretty good in those after pics. I plan on doing again, I have a scheduled c/s this time so I figure why not? I am blonde and w/out makeup I have not lashes or eyebrows so I wear it everyday anyways. FYI I brought a little makeup with me to the hospital but after that first day I had no time to do any again so I may bring some with but not counting on putting it on.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You won't care what you look like :), I promise!!!!
  • Think I may stick with some eye makeup and call it a day. Since I'm hoping this natural thing works out and well sweaty makeup running down my face doesn't sound photo ready lol.
  • Makeup sounds like way too much work at a time like that. I'm not planning on it, and I do wear makeup on a regular basis.
  • I had makeup on when we went to the hospital per orders of the on call dr I called. I was sure I would be sent home but ended up being induced for preeclampsia. After 24.5hrs of labor my makeup was not looking great and I didn't care. But I was glad I packed some and Put a little on the next day before visitors started trailing in.
  • I didn't put on make up before my 14 hour labor but I did pack it and wear it the day I left the hospital. It wasn't a lot but enough to look put together in the coming home pictures.
  • I've showered and done hair and makeup the morning after having baby, but I don't feel like I look fabulous as some ladies are saying. Once labor gets underway, couldn't care less what I look like.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• kinnonam said:

Hi all any ladies planning on doing some light makeup before labor. I told a friend I was packing some makeup for those after baby pics and she literally laughed at me. Anyone else trying to no look so exhausted lol?!

Makeup during is definitely laughable, also pics immediately after also silly. I didn't even care what the heck I looked like, actually I didn't even know until I was holding her trying toI take a picture and got it on selfie mode. Wow that was scary!!!

You could bring makeup for the next day and after you get a shower the next day for pics but I wouldn't even bother with any of that.!
    Even if you get a bath immediately following labor I wouldn't bother with make up at all!!
  • I brought make-up last time and thought about using it during labor since I had an epidural. But I just fell asleep and didn't care about make-up again until the day we went home.

• I had a surprise induction and we had to send friends to the house to get my hospital bag, which I hadn't packed make up in. I spent a total of 5 days in hospital and totally didn't care I had no make up on.
  • Yes, I plan on wearing makeup and bringing it.
  • I had make up on with my first but only because my water broke at the end of the day and I didn't wash it off. By the end of my labor my hair and make up were wrecked, like smudged everywhere and my hair was a sweaty mess. But seriously I didn't notice or care. I did bring light make up though for the days following.
  • 100% bringing my makeup bag. I have awful skin to begin with so why not make myself feel good about myself. I'll probably just stick to bare mineral powder and mascara nothing more. :)
  • I plan on bringing a little makeup, but I don't have expectations for putting/not putting it on. I always wear a little makeup and love feeling/looking clean and fresh faced, but I could see myself not even thinking about makeup once at the hospital!
  • VitaLuna said:

Hair and makeup is the absolute LAST thing on my mind in the hospital.

Me too! FTM but I don't wear makeup to begin with and my idea of doing hair is blow drying it and throwing it up in a pony. Makes life much easier :)
  • I will definitely be bringing just some eyeliner, and perhaps some lip gloss. Maybe it's silly and maybe I'll totally forget about it but I'd like it just in case!
  • I didn't wear it for the labor/ induction. But I did pack it in my hospital bag. After I took a shower the next day at the hospital, I put a bit of make up on (mascara, light eye shadow) and it really helped me feel less beat up. 
    I did look horrible and puffy without any make up in my photos right after birth, and I didn't really care at that time, but I may put some mascara on before this time (if it can be done). 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I wil most likely bring makeup to the hospital. It helps in some many ways!
  • lilqt3929lilqt3929 member
    edited September 2015
    With my 1st I showered quickly, blow dryed my hair and threw some BB cream on before leaving for the hospital. I did put my makeup bag in my hospital bag that morning but didn't retouch or even think of putting anything on til the next morning after I showered (and that was just BB cream and mascara to feel a little put together). I wouldn't recommend wearing a ton of makeup because it'll probably get ruined and you most likely won't be washing your face like you normally would be at home. I'd say bring your makeup because you never know what you'll feel like doing but honestly no one will care if you're fully put together or not, you just had a baby!
  • I think I'll bring a little with me, but who knows if I'll actually use it lol
  • Makeup was the last thing on my mind. ;) It probably would've gotten messed up after 20 hours of labor anyway. And I spent a lot of time in the birth tub. I think I put some lipgloss on the next day, though. I'm not a huge makeup wearer anyway. But if it's something important to you, I say go for it! I recommend waterproof mascara because there'll probably be lots of tears of happiness! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I didn't bring makeup with my son, and I regretted it. I ended up using my mom's after my c section, then I made my husband go home and get mine on day 2. I know lots of women don't care at all, but it made me feel so much more human. With all the craziness around labour and delivery, looking a bit more polished is one of the only things I can control.

• I didn't do make up because I was going in for induction at 7 pm however I did my hair and I ended up looking like crap anyway. I labored for over 12 hours...then had to have an emergency c-section, I started to get sick during the c-section so they put this stuff under my nose which chaffed under my nose and my top lip. I was exhausted and looked it.

But I think I would have looked worse after the sweating, crying etc...if I had had make up on. My hair looks like crap (I ended up just putting it in a pony tail to get it out of the way).

That's just my experience though, I say if it will make you happy then do it! It won't hurt a thing for you to do your hair and makeup. It might be an nice distraction.
    Praying this is our take home baby. STICK TURKEY Mommy will miss you everyday my beautiful angel. We love you Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers M/C on 1/05/11 at 11 weeks.
  • I will say probably skip it before, because you do not want that stuff in your eyes.
  • "I recommend waterproof mascara because there'll probably be lots of tears of happiness! :)"

great idea!

• my first pregnancy I was so nervous that I didn't even think about make up, for my next two I did very light natural makeup just a little foundation and waterproof mascara and I had chap stick not even lip-gloss and now that I'm having my fourth I will do the same cause I know it doesn't take much time.

• When I went into labor, I took a shower and did my makeup.  24 hours later when I had the baby, I still wasn't looking so great.  I'm glad I at least showered though because I tend to be a greaseball otherwise.  

I did bring make up with me, and I probably will again.  I used it.  You are there for two days.
  • I went into my induction with DD on Easter night so I did have normal hair and makeup done from that morning. My everyday wear is one or two colors of eye shadow mixed together, water proof mascara, and eyeliner on the bottom of my eyes. Takes about 3.5 minutes so I did bring it with me and "touched up" during my hospital stay. I had an epidural the morning after I got there and by 7pm, I looked the exact same. Ended up having a c-section so again... looked the exact same I did when I got there Easter night. Not my "birth plan" but in the end, I wanted myself and baby alive after it all so that's what I got! It is personal preference but I'm glad I had that with me. 
    Married: 2012 --- BFP: 2013 - Little Miss arrived: 2014 --- BFP #2: 2015 - EDD: 2/2016 (Team Green)
  • Once my water broke, there is no way I could have put on makeup. I was sweaty and hot during labour so it wouldn't have looked pretty afterwards.

The pics immediately after LO is born are beautiful no matter how you look, and there really isn't time for makeup.

I was in the hospital for four days after so I could have packed makeup and put some on. I did feel more myself after a shower and brushing my hair, so I could see applying makeup at that point.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had makeup on when I was induced before, and it melted away pretty fast. I'm hoping to be a little more prepared this time around, especially since we're thinking about doing birth photography.

Good tip on the waterproof mascara! I might just go ahead & buy waterproof everything this time around :D 

Happy October :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Emmett Austin Langford, born sleeping 2.25.15

"Once you are Real you can't become unreal again.  It lasts for always." 
    || The Velveteen Rabbit ||

>>> BFP 6.6.15, Rainbow due 2.6.15! <<<
    >>We are Team Pink!<<

I write over at Grace In Chaos.
  • I'm totally going to bring makeup, for pics, but won't put it on for labor and stuff. My skin has been really acting up lately and it makes me feel better to at least have some concealer, cheek stain, and mascara on. Who knows though... I might be so blissed out by my new babe that I forget to put it on. But at least I'll have it! :)

• jaimeruns said:

I'm totally going to bring makeup, for pics, but won't put it on for labor and stuff. My skin has been really acting up lately and it makes me feel better to at least have some concealer, cheek stain, and mascara on. Who knows though... I might be so blissed out by my new babe that I forget to put it on. But at least I'll have it! :)

I'm suddenly allergic to mascara! Every time I wear it, I get a stye.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @DrillSergeantCat that's awful! Have you tried different brands?
  • Fullerj21 said:
    @DrillSergeantCat that's awful! Have you tried different brands?
    3 different brands so far. Every time...stye in the exact same spot on my right eye. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker