2nd Trimester

How accurate is the Harmony test for predicting gender?

I got my Harmony test results back a while ago. They said we were having a boy. At 18+3 we had our ultrasound and his legs were crossed. I didnt care because we already knew we were having a boy.
I am now 23 weeks and am terrified that the results were wrong! I did some research and read about woman who got harmony results saying they were having a boy and all ultrasounds said girl!
I am worried about a false reading because I had a MC April 18th with my HCG being 0 on April 24th. I then got my BFP (no period in between) on May 12th. I am worried that DNA from my previous pregnancy could have given a false reading.
Anyone get a false harmony test result?

Re: How accurate is the Harmony test for predicting gender?

• If they told you boy, it's accurate. Since they are looking at a combo of your DNA and baby's DNA in your blood (well, technically placental DNA) if the reading it male, it can't be wrong...cause you only have female. I've heard there is a small chance of it being wrong for female readings.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I am terrified because I have so much planned for a boy. I honestly wanted a girl more than a boy but now I am in love with my son! A healthy baby is number 1 priority but i am not a person who does well with change or surprises! No matter what i will love my child but its just freaking me out that everything i have become so comfortable with could change.
  • Loading the player...
  • The Harmony results should be far more accurate than an ultrasound. Honestly ultrasounds are known for being difficult to read and an uncooperative baby doesn't help. 
  • I got the test results for abnormalities back and baby is healthy. I know those results are over 99% correct. I never did say anything about not being thankful that my baby is healthy. I am beyond greatful! I was just asking about the gender part of the testing and how accurate that is. I am pregnant and hormonal so obviously i am having a harder time with change and such. Of course my babies health is number one priority...i never said it wasnt.
  • I have no idea why you would attack me like this. I do suffer from anxiety and it has definitely been hightened durring my pregnancy. I am a toddler teacher so i know that there are many surprises that happen with children. I just have been carrying this baby for weeks thinking it is a boy and planning to have a boy. I do not think it to be rediculous that it would stress me out that plans i have made for my child could change.
    I was asking a question about the accuracy of the gender portion of the Harmony test and if anyone has experienced a false reading from it. All you have done is attacked me and not answered my question.
  • Generally people's only worry with any of these types of tests are the accuracy of everything but the sex. People that get these tests really just want to make sure their babies are healthy as most women only get them if they've got worries as to health.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • I got the results back about abnormalities...on the sheet it said it was over 99% accurate so that portion is not a concern to me. That was the main reason i got the test done. An added perk was finding out the gender. It was not on the sheet. I was told at my next visit and did not ask the accuracy of that. Thats why i am asking this question. My baby is fine and healthy. That is not what this question is about.
  • Here's the thing... To say it's a boy means they found Y chromosome. There's no other way for you to have Y chromosome, since you're a girl.
    I'm sorry for your loss, but your hcg went down to 0 meaning you were no longer pregnant. That wouldn't mess up the test.
    image image
  • Thank you FloridaStanley for actually answering my question!
  • I have been warned about the community part of this app and how nasty the woman on here can be. This will be the last time i post on here and will stick to the P Tracker community.
    It baffles me how I can post the same EXACT question on this app and P Tracker and get such different responses. On P Tracker I had woman who legitimately answered my question without judgement. On this app i was attacked and accused of not caring about the health of my child.
    Thank you to everyone who did try and answer my question.
  • Erinod93 said:
    I have been warned about the community part of this app and how nasty the woman on here can be. This will be the last time i post on here and will stick to the P Tracker community. It baffles me how I can post the same EXACT question on this app and P Tracker and get such different responses. On P Tracker I had woman who legitimately answered my question without judgement. On this app i was attacked and accused of not caring about the health of my child. Thank you to everyone who did try and answer my question.
    Yeah this is not going to help you at all. Your harmony packet leaflet has the accuracy percentages on it. You were given paperwork that states all of this.  Locate it.
    ---
    From the paper work when I got the test:

For questions that relate to your specific case and personal concerns, it’s best to talk to your healthcare provider. A list of Questions for your healthcare provider you can print for your next visit is available.

If you have other questions about the Harmony test, you can speak to one of our Patient Advocacy Representatives. They are available to help you and give you more information. Call 1-855-9-ARIOSA (855-927-4672) to speak to one of them. Outside of U.S. call +1 925-854-6246.

-----
    You can call Ariosa for their study results on sex (not gender) data.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• To everyone saying it is never wrong... you are actually wrong, there is a small percentage of inaccuracy to an XY result on the NIPT testing.

My NIPT test done on 10.5 week bloods picked up on the presence of Y chromosomes and we were told we were having a boy (among other reassuring negative results for chromosomal issues which was mainly why we did the test).

20wk ultrasound indicated we were having a little girl.
    Further testing was done, (long story, but for various reasons we had an amnio as this discrepancy can point to some rare chromosomal issues that result in severe disability) and has confirmed we are having a little girl.

The rogue Y chromosome reading could have come from a few different freak occurrences including a miscarriage I had in Dec, a disappearing twin (although no evidence of this was seen) or mosaicism of the placenta.

To the OP, this is really, really rare and our clinic hadn't come across it before, the geneticist we saw has seen a handful of cases like this. I would go for further ultrasounds if you must know the sex, but you can generally trust the NIPT test.

I just wanted to bring up the possibility for everyone who is telling the OP she is being ridiculous... these things can happen

• also, it has happened to another lady on these boards, she commented when I posted about our situation