August 2015 Moms
Options

When do you switch sides?

How do you know when to switch boobs when nursing? My baby never seems to fully empty my breasts. When he pops off, I can still manually express milk. So if it isn't when he finishes one, when do I swap? Is it even necessary if one boob can fill him completely?
Together since '07
Married since '12
Off the pill since 5/14
BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

Re: When do you switch sides?

• Options
    I've been doing 1 side per feeding. I used to offer LO the other side, but she never took.
  • Options
    I do a timed feed of 15 minutes before switching sides, and after switching sides do 15-20 more minutes. I start the feeding on the side he finished on the last time. 

I went to a lactation help group where they weighed the baby before and after feeding for each breast, and told me the amount he was taking in for the feeding. I found he was content for 2-3 hours vs eating more often than that once I swapped to feeding from both sides aiming for at least a 30 minute feed. If what you've been doing is working for you.. no reason to mess with a good thing. :) 
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @visualcircus you found he was more content eating from both sides? Or for just 30 min total?

Just curious because my LO is rarely satiated for that long unless sleeping.
  • Options
    I usually feed her for 10 minutes on one side and if she pops off and isn't interested or falls asleep then I sometimes will not offer the other side. Other times I do to make sure she has a really good amount and can go the full three or so hours in between feedings, or if my other boob feels fuller and I want her to empty it a little. I think I can always express milk from it so I don't go by that, I go by whatever she wants. We are at 7 weeks now and I am more comfortable doing just one breast now and following her cues, but for the first month or so I tried to offer both breasts and wake her a bit to do so, since I wanted to make sure she was getting the most she could and was fully satisfied (especially in the middle of the night). I would say about 60-70% of the time she takes both and the rest only one.
  • Options
    I feed till she falls a sleep or losses interest then I'll switch to the other.
  • Options
    We are having nursing issues now (He refuses to nurse :( ) but prior to that when he was doing great, I took him off after 15 minutes and put him on the other side or switched him when he popped off, which ever came first, unless he was still actively nursing on the first side, in which case I would leave him until he was just nibbling rather than actively nursing.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options
    @candicejeff2013 When I got him weighed at 1 week old, he took 1.5 oz from one breast at 15 min, and 0.5 oz for the second (it was about 10 minutes before he fell asleep)- I'm not sure if one side would have produced the amount to keep him satiated since 2oz was what he needed for his age. I really try my best to give 30 minutes (15 minutes each side) so he's full, and found he's content for longer stretches during the day. 

I plan on going back at a month to weigh his feeds- it's so hard to tell what they are taking in with sleepy newborns! If you have the lactation support groups offered, I highly recommend them.
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I do 15-20 mins per side, but occasionally more if he's actively eating. LO never unlatches so its hard for me to determine when to switch or be done.
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Options
    I do one side per feeding. I always offer the other side when he finishes, but he rarely wants more milk when he pops off of the first side. I like it that way because I don't stress over him not getting enough hindmilk.
  • Options
    I switch sides whenever he is finished eating on the one side. If I cannot hear him swallowing anymore then I know he's finished. I also keep him awake while he's eating so I know that he's getting a full feeding and is really done. He usually eats about 9 to 10 minutes per side.
  • Options
    My LO only eats one side per feeding. The LCs I've seen said unless he is fussy to just end the feeding when he is done with the one side.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    What works for us is, I feed one side for about 15 minutes which is when she starts to doze off, then I change her nappy then offer the other side she tends to doze off when she is finished