February 2016 Moms

New Baby and Pets

I know there has been other discussions about our fur babies... But I couldn't find any about a specific question I have. I've been worried lately about new baby and possible allergies! Wondering if I'm the only one. I'm scared of bringing new baby boy home and having him be allergic of our 1 1/2 year old fur baby! Has anyone ever gone through this? What are possible ways to cut down on pet allergens before bringing baby home? I would be so heartbroken if this were to happen! Obviously if it came down to it, you always pick your child's health over anything else. Guess I'm just hoping I'm not the only one who's thought about this!

And for everyone's enjoyment I've included a picture of sarge: our 1 1/2 year old mastiff/pit mix... He's so snuggly!

Re: New Baby and Pets

• I have heard that babies are born with no allergies. Not sure on the validity of this but no need to fret over it unless baby is showing symptoms once home!
  • I'm pregnant with my fourth baby and I have 2 pit bulls. I honestly have never been worried about this. My husband is actually allergic to some dogs and sometimes breaks out with my female pit. I give constant baths, brush them and just make sure I vacuum/sweep a lot.
  • Loading the player...
  • Achae said:

I have heard that babies are born with no allergies. Not sure on the validity of this but no need to fret over it unless baby is showing symptoms once home!

This is actually something I've never heard! Makes me feel a little better :)
  • I'm pregnant with my fourth baby and I have 2 pit bulls. I honestly have never been worried about this. My husband is actually allergic to some dogs and sometimes breaks out with my female pit. I give constant baths, brush them and just make sure I vacuum/sweep a lot.

I guess my head just went a little bit crazy! A friend of mine asked if I could stop and feed her cats while she was on vacation. And I was like "yes sure, but I can't stay because I'm super allergic" and then my brain went a little wild with "omg what if the new baby gets here and he's allergic to our dog!" Hahah... I vacuum 2xs a week and sweep daily. He doesn't have too much excess hair, so that's good :)
  • Lol it's ok to worry. My husband is highly allergic to cats. But I'll admit it would be completely upsetting if one of my children were allergic to my dogs.
  • Chances are that won't be an issue. I've known some kids with cat allergies but not dogs. If anything, they may have food allergies. But honestly worrying about it will do you no good. I'm sure it will be fine.

• My dog sheds a lot and my cats both have thick coats, one is a super long haired main coon, I was JUST talking about this with my husband! I made myself cry with worry and then I realized; I live with them and breathe the air the baby is going to breathe and am always around them, so I called my OB and asked the odds and they said of course there is always a chance but since the baby is already experiencing it through me, it's highly unlikely. I told my husband if it happens we need two houses because I can't deal with losing any of them.
    His step dad is super allergic but his mom still has cats, his step dad just takes allergy pills and sleeps in a room the cats don't go in, that's love right there! I'm just hoping my Nurses are right!
  • When I got my first cat my H (bf at the time) was really reacting to her. We almost had to get rid of her. My vet at the time gave us some drops to put in her food to reduce her allergens. They worked! That vet retired and I slowly stopped using the drops and eventually my H didn't need her to have them anymore. Luckily for us, we don't need them anymore, but I haven't found another vet that would even consider giving us those drops again cuz I guess it's a very controversial solution. It's a form of a sedative and every other vet I've been to is vehemently against the idea of them. I don't understand how they work well enough to know why it's an ethical slippery slope, but I'm glad we don't need them now that I know that. I did however keep a few bottles on reserve and I plan to use them again if baby has an issue
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • geojam224 said:

When I got my first cat my H (bf at the time) was really reacting to her. We almost had to get rid of her. My vet at the time gave us some drops to put in her food to reduce her allergens. They worked! That vet retired and I slowly stopped using the drops and eventually my H didn't need her to have them anymore. Luckily for us, we don't need them anymore, but I haven't found another vet that would even consider giving us those drops again cuz I guess it's a very controversial solution. It's a form of a sedative and every other vet I've been to is vehemently against the idea of them. I don't understand how they work well enough to know why it's an ethical slippery slope, but I'm glad we don't need them now that I know that. I did however keep a few bottles on reserve and I plan to use them again if baby has an issue

I've seen stuff like that at unleashed!!! (It's a branch of petco but they only sell natural stuff)
    Thank you for reminding about it!