April 2016 Moms
Options

FINDING OUT GENDER!

Hello! I am going to an ultrasound tomorrow I will be at 13 weeks! I am supposed to find out the gender tomorrow! has anyone found out this early, I am due April 3rd!!!! Has anyone found out this early ???

Re: FINDING OUT GENDER!

• Options
    jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited September 2015
    Typically we wait to send people for ultrasound to determine the sex until after they are 16 weeks because between 12 and 14 weeks it's only 80% accurate and that's if you have a really good view. I have been sure a baby was a boy and 3 weeks later it's clear as day it's a girl. Maybe it's different on a 3d ultrasound but we don't do those in our office.
    * forgot to mention that we always schedule the scan at 20 weeks if you were wondering what the typical time frame for the first ultrasound is
  • Options
    yah its 3d tomorrow, ill tell u how it goes!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's exciting !!! I wish we offered that. :)
  • Options
    jonesl12 said:

Typically we wait to send people for ultrasound to determine the sex until after they are 16 weeks because between 12 and 14 weeks it's only 80% accurate and that's if you have a really good view. I have been sure a baby was a boy and 3 weeks later it's clear as day it's a girl. Maybe it's different on a 3d ultrasound but we don't do those in our office.
    * forgot to mention that we always schedule the scan at 20 weeks if you were wondering what the typical time frame for the first ultrasound is

Actually by 14 weeks it's 100% accurate. 12 weeks is 80% though that's true. At least according to my dad whose a radiologist who consulted his friend whose a world known sonography researcher (this guy has amazing 3D ultrasounds on YouTube btw, they're so cool). My dad didn't believe me during my pregnant with Dd when I told him 14 weeks (he does basic radiology not OB), so he consulted his friend and was surprised to find that out! There are about half a dozen private US places in Las Vegas and all guarantee ssx at 14 weeks. Every single friend whose been pregnant in town has found out then. It's crazy! I am always so surprised in TB when women have to wait til 20 weeks lol!!
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    That's crazy ! Maybe my doc is oldschool because we don't even offer 3d ultrasounds. Maybe that's why he sticks with the 20 week thing ? I asked him about a year ago why wait that long ( my best friend is a ultrasound tech and said she can clearly see the sex loud and clear at 15 weeks ) his reply was what I posted above and that's what he tells patients that want earlier ultrasounds. I'm with ya on finding out early as the op is doing so I'll sneak and have her scan me after 16 weeks because it's not 3d. Maybe we are all behind in the times in the area I live in because 20 weeks is still standard.
  • Options
    Most doctors offices in town don't have 3D (except mine Because he's a perinatologist) but there are seriously at least 5-6 elective places that do. Does your town have any? What's your job again? Are you the one who works at an OB office? If so and you don't have elective places, you should get a loan or investor and start a place!!!! Get a few radiology techs to moonlight for you!

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options

• Options

Most doctors offices in town don't have 3D (except mine Because he's a perinatologist) but there are seriously at least 5-6 elective places that do. Does your town have any? What's your job again? Are you the one who works at an OB office? If so and you don't have elective places, you should get a loan or investor and start a place!!!! Get a few radiology techs to moonlight for you!

Hey ! Yes I work for a privately owned ob/gyn and family practice with 4 physicians ( we do sports medicine too) Our patients get ultrasound in the office if needed but we refer them to the hospital that dr has rights to for our ob patients 20 week u/s as we don't dictate reports. As far as the 3d ultrasounds we never refer or send patients because it's elective and if a patient wants 3d they find their own place and pay out of pocket typically. There's a 3d place about an hour 1/2 from where we are but we have no affiliation with them. The ob doc is pretty oldschool in his mind set that the only imaging should be done for medical issues not for fun... Lame right ! I for one think 3d is slightly creepy looking however the detail is crazy amazing to see.
  • Options
    Yea I live in Las Vegas and there is an elective place on every corner! Going in today hope they can see it
  • Options
    lc145 said:

Jumping in, a bit off topic buuut,

@jonesl12 and @NachosAndPeaches - I'm still learning all the ropes, but I would hazard a very educated guess that the reason they wait to do the anatomy scan until 20 weeks is not because of the ability to better identify the sex, but because of the development of other vital organs. The fetal heart, for example, is best imaged between 18-22 GA. It makes sense, then, why they wait and have you do one longer scan where they can see almost everything instead of having to go back every few weeks to scan something else. It would be nice to see baby often, but I'm okay with fewer appointments and bills! ;)

@Mrsstasisantos - That's exciting you're getting 3D so early! Let us know how it goes! :)

Obviously that's why the anatomy scan is then. The purpose of the anatomy scan is not to determine sex. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was that in Vegas nobody waits until the barony scan to find out the sex. By the time women have the scan they have all known the sex for 6 weeks.

• Options

lc145 said:

Jumping in, a bit off topic buuut,

@jonesl12 and @NachosAndPeaches - I'm still learning all the ropes, but I would hazard a very educated guess that the reason they wait to do the anatomy scan until 20 weeks is not because of the ability to better identify the sex, but because of the development of other vital organs. The fetal heart, for example, is best imaged between 18-22 GA. It makes sense, then, why they wait and have you do one longer scan where they can see almost everything instead of having to go back every few weeks to scan something else. It would be nice to see baby often, but I'm okay with fewer appointments and bills! ;)

@Mrsstasisantos - That's exciting you're getting 3D so early! Let us know how it goes! :)

Obviously that's why the anatomy scan is then. The purpose of the anatomy scan is not to determine sex. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was that in Vegas nobody waits until the barony scan to find out the sex. By the time women have the scan they have all known the sex for 6 weeks.
    Yes the 20 week scan is not to determine the sex of the baby it's much more. That's why we don't offer ultrasounds before 20 weeks or after unless there's a problem.
  • Options
    Yes, I understand that it's for more than sex, but the general public is under the impression its sole purpose is for determining the sex. From my standpoint, based on interactions with patients, it's very disheartening when mom comes in for her anatomy scan and only wants to know the sex. There's a lot more important things going on! I wish more moms would ask about baby's health and development and not constantly ask if the current image shows if it's a boy/girl.

I had no idea early ultrasounds for sex were such a big deal! Where I'm at, you either find out with your testing around 13 weeks or you wait until your anatomy scan. Sounds like Vegas has some great job opportunities!
  • Options
    lc145 said:
    Yes, I understand that it's for more than sex, but the general public is under the impression its sole purpose is for determining the sex. From my standpoint, based on interactions with patients, it's very disheartening when mom comes in for her anatomy scan and only wants to know the sex. There's a lot more important things going on! I wish more moms would ask about baby's health and development and not constantly ask if the current image shows if it's a boy/girl. I had no idea early ultrasounds for sex were such a big deal! Where I'm at, you either find out with your testing around 13 weeks or you wait until your anatomy scan. Sounds like Vegas has some great job opportunities!
    I don't think that the vast majority of people are as dumb as you're painting them to be. Any OB-GYN will explain to an expectant mom what the anatomy scan is for, and any mother who has been through one can clearly see that they are checking for much more than sex. I just think that this is what most moms (who are low-risk) are most concerned/excited about, so that's what gets highlighted.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Well I'm 13 weeks and they found the gender! We had them write it down for our revel tomorrow! I'll keep u updated if they are wrong but she seemed confident!
  • Options
    Congrats @Mrsstasisantos ! How did you like the 3-D US?? I've seen posts previously from friends and I can't tell if they are cute or creepy - same goes for a regular US though I suppose!
  • Options
    They are fun! The two d is definitely cuter, I'm gonna go back next month just to confirm!
  • Options
    I'm twelve weeks, and found out today that's I'm having a girl!!
  • Options
    @Mrsstasisantos where did you go? Miracle in progress? Yay Vegas! Is this your first? I have a boy already :-)

3D gets cuter around 20+ weeks! Lol. It's creepy til then.

• Options
    Congratulations!!!!
  • Options
    My ultrasound tech at my ob recommended oh baby baby in Henderson, I'm going again next month to just make sure it was correct!
  • Options
    The place I went last pregnancy closed :-( I'm not a huge fan of miracle in progress so looking for a new place. We're doing free cell so I'll know sex soon but I know I'll want some extra 3D photos. I live in Summerlin though so I don't want to drive to Henderson.

• Options
    I have an appt for an u/s next wends to find out what we are having. I could have gone this week, but I wanted to give it an extra week to make sure the chances of it being right are more accurate. We are going to a place that only does ultra sounds. We are so excited. Congrats on the baby boy!
                                                                         Image result for i breastfed my baby 1 year

• Options
    My friend told me that her doctor told her their baby's gender through one of the diagnostic blood testing. I thought it was interesting to hear it done that way!
  • Options
    We had PGD testing as part of our IVF cycle, so we've known the sex of our baby since my RE gave us the results of the biopsy the morning of the embryo transfer.  I've had a lot ultrasounds (the first two as part of my fertility treatment, and three subsequently because of a severe SCH that caused a major bleed at 9 weeks).  During the viability scan at 7 weeks, the nurse practitioner correctly guessed that I'm having a boy because of his slower heart rate (this is by no means 100% accurate, but she said anecdotally it tends to be true from her experience),and last week during another ultrasound to monitor the hematoma the tech asked if we already knew the sex.  When we said yes, she said, "You're having a boy, right?"  When we said yes, she pointed out what she was seeing that led her to determine the sex, though she added that they would never guarantee an accurate determination so early under normal circumstances (I was exactly 12 weeks during that scan).  Also, when we were discussing whether to do Panorama testing at 10 weeks (we considered it because insurance would cover it because I'm over 35, but we decided against it upon my doctor's recommendation because of the PGD/PGS testing), it was pointed out to us that this blood test could also determine sex very early.  Before I went through all of this, I never realized that sex determination could be done so early.
  • Options
    We did the blood testing at 11 weeks and found out we are having a boy! It wasn't cheap, but our parents spit the cost because they didn't want to wait until 20 weeks to determine the sex via ultrasound. The blood work also tested for Down syndrome - which was negative. Good luck!