July 2015 Moms

LO legs caught between crib slats

My LO has been sleeping in his crib in our room since day 1. As he's getting older and moving around more, we notice that a foot or leg will be in between the crib slats when we get him in the MOTN for a feeding. Tonight, both of his legs were!

Anyone else?

I didn't want to use ANYTHING in his crib but wondering if I should get the breathable mesh liner now. Anyone use this in theirs?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

Re: LO legs caught between crib slats

• I have always used bumpers with both of my girls. With my first daughter I took them off of her bed once because we were moving and when she woke up in the morning her leg was stuck, she was screaming, and there was a bruise above her knee. I never took them off again after that. I haven't used the mesh ones though, just the normal type.
  • Same issue! And little girl would wake up SCREAMING because her leg or legs were stuck! I put a mesh bumper on just the side of the crib that she always wiggles over to and it has made all the difference. I was hesitant to put any bumper up but I talked with my pediatrician and he said definitely don't use the plush ones but that the mesh ones should be fine :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Isn't it odd though how you aren't supposed to use bumpers in a crib yet bassinets sides are not breathable? I guess better safe than sorry but it does seem silly.
  • shaley29 said:

Isn't it odd though how you aren't supposed to use bumpers in a crib yet bassinets sides are not breathable? I guess better safe than sorry but it does seem silly.

So true

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Same issue! And little girl would wake up SCREAMING because her leg or legs were stuck! I put a mesh bumper on just the side of the crib that she always wiggles over to and it has made all the difference. I was hesitant to put any bumper up but I talked with my pediatrician and he said definitely don't use the plush ones but that the mesh ones should be fine :-)

Thanks @lovehorse77. Thankfully no screaming or getting stuck yet. Gonna go buy some mesh ones today!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• LO is not in the crib yet, but my sister in law gave me mesh bumpers. She used them with both her boys (now 4 & 2) for this exact reason. My nephew got really stuck once without them (both legs through the slats).
  • What about using a sleep sack?
  • Still to this day, I don't understand why the breathable bumpers aren't recommended for the exact reasons stated above.
  • Get the mesh bumper. That's what we have for our little guy and what my sister has used all along for her 1yr old. Moms On Call recommends the mesh bumper as well - snag one at Target.