Parenting after 35

Weekly Check-in Sept 20

How was your week?

QOTW: in honor of the injured LO's on here, tell us about your first broken bone.
Me-37, DH-38
Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

Re: Weekly Check-in Sept 20

• Week started off with LO still waking 3 times a night (which started when I went back to work). I explained to him that needed to stop soon, or else momma was going to lose her $#!%. Mercifully, the next few nights he only woke once. Now he's back to 2 times, but at least it's a compromise.

QOTW: I don't have any good stories :( I've only broken my big toe, and that was tripping down a staircase in college
    Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Oh Mindaa I feel your pain!  I remember when I went back to work after having my son and I was like a bumbling moron I was so sleep deprived.  I would be mid sentence and forget my complete thought.  It was bad!  Hope he realizes soon that sleep is a beautiful thing!

My week was crappy and is spilling over into this week and it's only Monday.  I have work stuff that is just a nightmare.  It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't hate certain parts of my job as much as I do.  My problem is I would love nothing more than to be home with my kiddos so dealing with all the BS infuriates me even more because I just don't want to be there and I have no desire to deal with any of it.  It is going to be a long school year :(  

QOTW:  My 1st broken bone was my middle finger on my right hand.  I was in 8th grade and we were in Gym class.  The PE teacher was going to have us all play flag football in the gym and she wanted us to practice ripping off the flags so she had half of us line up on the white line and the other half wear the flags and run towards the line.  I went to rip my friends flag off of her hip and and she turned and my finger bent and I craked all three bones in the upper joint of my finger.  It was so badly broken I had to wear a cast on it and if it didn't heal properly I was going to have to have a pin put in it.  Go big or go home!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. I'm new to the bump. Im 35. Have a foster child. The mom is expecting. Soon. I feel like the current baby still isn't 100% sleeping through the night. What with teeth and a cold it's been worse this week. Is it harder cause I'm an "older" mom? ;) Do you have tips on schedules or anything when adding a 2nd baby? How close were your kids? If I was planning they wouldn't be this close. But we're delighted to take the sib if we're asked to.
  • We are doing good this week. Settling into a routine finally. We started a new asthma medication regimin and I think it makes DS hyper so we too have been having sleeping troubles. My oldest has been slacking a bit at school but I'll find out more at the parent teacher conference tomorrow to see how he's doing. It's been hard to stay on top of DS1s homework and he has to wear an eye patch 2 hours a day, dinner, bath, brushing teeth, DS2 needs nebulizer breathing treatments 2x a day so it's hard to fit it all in. I've had to let baths and teeth brushing go a few days this week.

QOTW: None of us has ever broken a single bone. I was a very shy nervous kid and don't play sports at all. My kids are the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Babys'mom welcome to the board!  How old is your foster child?  I have a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old so when my second was born my 1st was 3 months shy of her 2nd birthday.  I am a big fan of routine, especially at night.  Especially if you add a second to the mix.  We pretty much eat dinner at the same time every night then we go up for the night time routine at the same time each night.  We also do baths everynight and I just found for my kids it helps to wind them down before bedtime and helps set the stage for sleepytime!

Congrats on your growing family :)  Very exciting!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's been a while since I've done one of these... I went back to work three weeks ago, and LO has bean making baby steps towards better sleep.  We did have something akin to a 4-month regression, but I think it was actually due to a cold.  

He's now at the stage where he can put himself to sleep, BUT he still wakes up 3x a night to eat, and I need to wean him off those night feeds so we can all get more sleep.

QOTW: Never broke a bone but I have torn some ligaments which is about as painful.  My most idiotic moment: I stepped out of a bus before it came to a complete stop, rolled my ankle and blacked out from the pain... 
  • @ Geeps Thanks! Our LO is 14 mos. Good tips-we are very routine oriented. But I know how I am the first 3 mos with infants (current LO is not first new baby) I'm in a fog! DH is super helpful, MIL lives close & we have a strong support network of friends that will take LO for the day or night just for a break.

As for updates-I've never had a broken bone so I'm very sorry to hear about that happening to a LO.

This week naps have improved! Only 2-3 weeks ago I held LO (sensory issues) for two naps a day. When my arm started falling asleep that had to change.

We did CIO for night and training only took 2 days. That was 3 mos ago. But it was heart wrenching and I couldn't do that for naps despite what therapist suggested. The first week I sang standing by the crib. The 2nd I sang sitting near the door. Yesterday afternoon nap I wasn't feeling well and couldn't sit in there too long. So we read story, turned on white noise, sang & LEFT! It was only a few minutes of light fussing. Whew! Today morning it was a little longer light fussing but I think this issue is fixed for now! If only someone else can put LO to nap now. That will be our next step. :) always room for improvement.

@Minda how old is your LO?

@Marija have you weaned before? I only weaned off the 4 am feed at 12 mos. The others fell away naturally. I got down to 4 oz then switched out water for 1/2 the milk.After 2 days the watery substance wasn't good enough! That was that. :)
  • @Geeps2, sorry work has been so tough.

@marijaa333, Hope sleep gets better soon! What is he sleeping in? We've been using the Merlin's suit for a week and really like it.

@baby'smom, how many infant's have you fostered? That sounds so tiring!
    Me-37, DH-38

• I can't decide if lo is going through a sleep regression or not...the four month one.  Last night she was 'awake' looking to nurse half a dozen times, so I'm not sure what's up.  We bedshare, so she's never truly awake, but mama sure is.  I'm still on mat leave, so it's not a big deal, just makes me a little more tired in the day.

I've only broken one bone at age 35ish.  Slipped on my deck and tried to stop myself rather than fall, so I had a lovely spiral fracture through the tibia and ankle that had to be reassembled with some various hardware that's still in there.  If you're going to do it, do it right!
  • @mindaa In the past couple years I've had only a week & 1/2 with no little ones in the house. We started to foster only but it looks like we'll be adopting our current placement. A couple of times we've had more than 1 kiddo in the house.
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited September 2015
    @mindaa 
    how old is your little one? we transitioned out of the swaddle and he now sleeps with his arms free... Do you think the suit helps to prolong sleep?
  • marijaa333 - LO will be 4 months next week. So far he doesn't really sleep longer in the sleepsuit than with the swaddle, it's about the same.  Though it's kind of hard to tell with all his recent sleep regression/cold and sinus issues/back to work weirdness. We never gave arms free a chance... I tried one time and failed, so instead of wasting any more time, we went right to the sleepsuit. 
    But he does sleep really well in the suit, and it has been awesome in helping him transition both out of the swaddle and to putting himself to sleep (instead of letting him fall asleep on the boob. Guilty), which it doesn't sound like you've had a problem with.

Baby'smom - wow, that sounds intense, I can't imagine!  So exciting that you'll be adopting!  
    Me-37, DH-38

• @mindaa Merlin people owe you a commission -- I ordered the suit the other day and am hoping it will get us back to his swaddle days when he was sleeping 5+ hours in a row. :)