August 2015 Moms
Options

Left boob quit

So I woke up this morning and my left boob wasn't engorged, like it normally is in the mornings. I'm freaking out! Has this happened to anyone before? DS is sleeping more at night, so I'm wondering if that's messing my supply up. I pumped after I fed him and got 2 ounces. Then I waited a few hours and only got half an ounce. Ughhhh I'm only almost 7 weeks in to breastfeeding. I don't want to lose my supply! Any suggestions? I'm going to start pumping after every feeding and or at least every two hours. And I've got lactation cookie dough thawing right now. I don't understand how everything was fine yesterday and today is a completely different story. My right boob seems unaffected as of now. Thanks!

Re: Left boob quit

• Options
    Lalala2326Lalala2326 member
    edited September 2015
    Highly unlikely that it "quit" but at 7 weeks your supply is probably starting to regulate and your LO sleeping more at night is a good thing but, yes, it is going to signal milk is needed less at that time so less engorgement. Engorgement is not a "normal" state for breastfeeding. It is only common in the beginning before your supply regulates to what your baby actually needs, if you skip feedings, or if you have an oversupply. In other words: don't panic. Your body is likely functioning perfectly and doing what it is supposed to. You are probably just moving towards the more comfortable long-term phase of breastfeeding. Check out this article. It explains it perfectly: https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/breast-fullness/
  • Options
    Thank you! That's reassuring for sure.