January 2016 Moms

Health question

Ok,
Seeing as how it's cold/flu/stomach virus season and our immune systems are down the toilet I have a question..

My boyfriend was throwing up on Thursday- I thought nothing of it. I lysoled, washed every surface in the bathroom he touched, I wouldn't directly touch anything unless I cleaned it ( example: flushing the toilet id grab another toilet paper, flush and throw away etc)
I called my boss to tell them i would be a little late because I had to clean an run to the store for a new toothbrush ( poor man couldn't make it to the toilet so he threw up in the sink... Beside my toothbrush ew) when I called her she FREAKED out asking me why I was staying in the house with him and "do you know what will happen if you get it too" .... I'm not removing myself from my own house just because he's sick...
But today I'm feeling really sick to my stomach, and nauseous...
I guess my question is, baby will be ok if I get a stomach bug? Right?

Re: Health question

• The danger is dehydration. If you feel yourself really getting icky go to the ER and they will push IV Zofran to stop the vomiting and they will keep you hydrated. That's what they've done for me pre-pregnancy when I've had the stomach flu so bad that my heart was racing from dehydration. Watch yourself and go if needed!
  • Ok thank you!
    Makes me feel better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Leah6120Leah6120 member
    edited September 2015
    It sounds like you are doing the best you can. Just getting a stomach virus on its own is not going to harm you or the baby as long as like PP said you don't get dehydrated. Continue being proactive and if you get it I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • I got the stomach bug two weeks ago and couldn't even keep water down. DH was so worried that LO wouldn't get what he needed since I couldn't eat or drink anything. I did a lot of googling to see if I should be worried and what I found is that it's not uncommon to get a bug while sick and as long as it lasts less than 48 hrs there is no reason to worry. Your body stores what it needs to supply LO with nutrients. Try your best to drink as much water as you can, but don't stress yourself out about it. If you have more than two days of throwing up call your Dr (and feel free to call your Dr before then if you want to, I was only throwing up for one day and just didn't feel it was necessary.)
  • I had one when I was 9 months pregnant with my daughter. She's happy and healthy now though the whole thing did give me some serious contractions, which could be a problem at this point so I'd watch for that too. I did my best to stay hydrated and get food in me when I could and that's all you can really do
  • Ok thanks ladies! I didn't feel concerned about the whole situation because I felt like I was protecting myself by cleaning every surface he touched. That is until my boss ( who is also a friend) kind of freaked out on me for staying in the house. There's not much I can do expecially this time of year.
    But these comments make me feel better that nothing will happen as long as I focus on staying hydrated and eating when I can.
    Thanks again!!